DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Can I say that I really liked the Solomon Crowe vignette last night? It was clearly modeled on the people who did the broadcast signal intrusion in the Chicago area and did a weird Max Headroom-type thing. Loved how they had a similar voice-over for it.

That character has a ton of potential from a creative standpoint. 

I love the gimmick so much. I just hope the dude can pull it off. I know I've said it before, but he was absolutely awful in those improv training videos that leaked a while ago. But there's no idea of the context of when they were shot, etc. Hopefully he's improved because that character could really be a lot of fun.

I got a little emotional watching this because I know she has been dreaming about this for years she's kinda like AJ the fact that she has been a fan of it and been on the indies and been homeless at one point. Some of my favorite Divas were models before coming in but I still love to see girls that struggled before signing. I know she's a blood relative of Snoop but she traveled her own road. And I think she does really well getting her personality over with catch phrases and acronyms. She is going to get over well if WWE let's her control her character. Plus she is a very good worker and a student of the game.

I totally overlooked Drake selling that sub with his expressions and body language.

And Sasha never looked prettier, smudged makeup and messy hair and all.

Tonight's NXT tapings were real fun. The biggest thing i got out of it is that even though Sami wasn't there, the roster is so deep these days, I didn't miss him much. Oh and Owens is a big time heel after last night. I'd say the crowd was mostly hating him with a few people cheering.

The main feud that was built around the show was Kevin Owens vs Alex Riley. Yes Alex Riley. Owens beat Adrian Neville in a outstanding match that airs next week. It featured a 450 on the floor by Neville and a crazy reverse hurracanara. The second week, Owens does commentary during a Finn Balor vs Brian Kendrick match. After the match, he attacks Riley for some reason The third week, Owens attacked Riley again by pouring water over his head. The forth taping featured Riley beating Cj Parker and Owens coming out and saying Riley was the stupidest man in WWE for leaving the booth. I think they will do the match next week at the tapings.

Sasha Banks had a good night. First she beat Blue Pants in a fun match live with Blue Pants getting major pops. She even has a titantron. Then Sasha beat Charlotte in a match that rivaled last night. It almost felt like Charlotte's last NXt match. I don't know if that's the case though. Becky Lynch also beat Bayley.

Rhyno showed up out of nowhere and had a match. He then had a stare down with Finn Balor. I don't know what to think of that but he got a huge pop coming out.

Looks like the next tag team feud is Enzo/Big cas vs Blake/Murphy. The champs are the heels in the feud. They are trying to lure Carmella to join them. Enzo/Case beat the Vaudevillians and Lucha Dragons. Blake/Murphy beat Shoot Nation.

Lucha Dragons are getting Bo dallas heat these days. Takeover really hurt them with all the botches. Kalisto has to become a singles competitor and soon. They beat Ty Dillenger and Jason Jordon. Jason turned heel after the match.

Baron Corbin had a few squash matches. Nothing major and it seems the Bull Feud is over. Speaking of Bull, he lost 2 times in what felt like squash matches. One was to Itami and the other to Solomon Crowe. I think the Bull experience is about over.

Last match of the night was Itami losing to Breeze. Breeze beat Adam Rose earlier in the tapings who was pretty over as a babyface.

• Like 1

Loved the show! The only note I had was that if Sasha Banks is going to use the Crossface as a finisher I hope she starts working in a bunch of cool transitions into it like Taka Michinoku does.

She usually does.

He gazed up at the enormous face. Twenty years it had taken him to learn what kind of smile was hidden beneath the Lemmy wannabe moustache. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved HHH.
  • Like 4

Man if you read spoilers you are a huge ass, like, NXT is fucking awesome, why sacrifice the enjoyment? I can understand reading the Smackdown spoilers or whatever TNA is called nowadays. Each to their own, I guess.

Exactly, I'm just gonna assume Owens murdered Mojo Rawley after the comment he would be considered a face on this board after the tapings.

If this company has one crutch in their booking it is the old "new heel going after the established ring announcer" storyline.  They did it with Ambrose, Chris Hero, Cesaro, and now Kevin Owens.  Unfortunately in all of those scenarios it was against William Regal so it was awesome.   Not sure about this one.   

I don't think they want Owens shitting on the fans buying his merch, and putting money in their pockets. I like that his character just does what he does he's not trying to manipulate a certain reaction from the crowd he's just doing his thing. It's the most organic character in WWE right now there's nothing fake about him, and that's how they should keep it. Balor will be over huge when he challenges Owens, and then Zayn will be red hot when he gets his rematch. So what if 20% of the crowd cheers Owens it's better than making his character do forced cliché heel work.

I really, really want to see an Owens/Cena feud now over doing the right thing.  I think with those two, and their characters, it would be money.  Just start it by having Owens in his debut call out Cena and challenge him "man to man", and if he is called out how he needs to learn respect, have him call out Cena's debut and then slaps him.   Then it's on for six months.

Owens is a heel. Here's how I know. My 12 year old has fallen out of his love for wrestling. He still asks what's going on here and there and is somewhat interested and will watch with me sometimes, but it isn't appointment viewing for him like it used to be. He does, however, enjoy NXT and Sami Zayn and Adrien Neville are his favorites there. He watched some of the last special and knew who Kevin Owens was and that Sami Zayn won the NXT title and was happy, then shocked at the ending when Owens turned. He was interested in who would win the Zayn/Owens match, but didn't watch the show live with me. When I told him Owens won and how he won, he HAD to watch the match to see how Zayn got beat up so badly that they had to stop the match.

After Owens hit the 4th powerbomb, he shouted "Geeze! Stop! Just pin him already!". After they stopped the match and Owens got the title, he was upset and said it was stupid that Owens won like that and how Zayn would've won if he didn't hit his head on the ground after that moonsault. He just KNOWS Zayn will beat him if/when they fight again and said "We know that Owens couldn't pin him because Sami would just keep kicking out of everything, so Sami really couldn't be beat for real"

So, yes, Owens is a heel because my 12 year old semi-wrestling-fan son knows he is by how he went just a little too far with those powerbombs and because of how good of a face Sami Zayn is.

• Like 10

Loved the show! The only note I had was that if Sasha Banks is going to use the Crossface as a finisher I hope she starts working in a bunch of cool transitions into it like Taka Michinoku does.

She usually does.

http://youtu.be/sqirMXsa6tE

I guess that's what I get for being new to NXT. I should've known someone as good as Sash would be way ahead of me.

I can't really add much to the conversation. Itami/Breeze was fun, the tag match sucked, Corbin/Dempsey was what it was and the last three matches were off the goddamn chain.

I said a week back that I really hope we see a Keiji Mutoh/Great Muta dynamic with Finn. It will work and if they need help booking it there's two decades of NJPW stuff out there to "re-purpose." During the pre-show Albert was drawing the line between Finn Balor and "Demon Balor" so here's hoping this is where they take it.

My 10 year old daughter sat and watched part of the show with me and let me tell you, the NXT ladies matches have made a HUGE impact with her. Emma (my kiddo, not the poorly booked returning Aussie) immediately noticed how much more athletic and deep the NXT divas matches are compared to the main roster. Hell, she drew a picture of Baylee and had me tweet it to her! Got a retweet from Baylee AND Steph, might I add.The WWE is always looking for inroads with the next generation of wrestling fans and, at least with the girls, giving them fun characters like neon colored Baylee, athletic freak Charlotte, and cocky heel Sasha that can truly GO when the bell rings may be better than bringing in models who scream a lot while working terrible 3 minute matches for Lawler to leer at. NXT is proving that, yes, the matches do actually matter.

On a final note, I am a fucking jaded, pissed off old wrestling fan. I don't watch Raw or Smackdown anymore and I only got the network initially to watch old NWA stuff and am still eagerly waiting for old territory stuff. For great wrestling, I've counted on my dvd/vhs vault as I had so little faith in Vince. With that said, NXT has reminded me why I fell in love with wrestling 30+ years ago. I'd pay $9.99 a month for NXT alone and be a happy camper. Yup, NXT made wrestling fun again

• Like 10

My 10 year old daughter sat and watched part of the show with me and let me tell you, the NXT ladies matches have made a HUGE impact with her. Emma (my kiddo, not the poorly booked returning Aussie) immediately noticed how much more athletic and deep the NXT divas matches are compared to the main roster. Hell, she drew a picture of Baylee and had me tweet it to her! Got a retweet from Baylee AND Steph, might I add.The WWE is always looking for inroads with the next generation of wrestling fans and, at least with the girls, giving them fun characters like neon colored Baylee, athletic freak Charlotte, and cocky heel Sasha that can truly GO when the bell rings may be better than bringing in models who scream a lot while working terrible 3 minute matches for Lawler to leer at. NXT is proving that, yes, the matches do actually matter.

On a final note, I am a fucking jaded, pissed off old wrestling fan. I don't watch Raw or Smackdown anymore and I only got the network initially to watch old NWA stuff and am still eagerly waiting for old territory stuff. For great wrestling, I've counted on my dvd/vhs vault as I had so little faith in Vince. With that said, NXT has reminded me why I fell in love with wrestling 30+ years ago. I'd pay $9.99 a month for NXT alone and be a happy camper. Yup, NXT made wrestling fun again

I love these two paragraphs.  First, the NXT women's division is fantastic.  I'm telling everyone I can about it.  Bayley is the first time I've had a favorite wrestler who happens to be female ever and I've been watching wrestling since 1979.  I have a niece who is quite athletic and I've followed her playing softball for her school and travel teams and I can't help but get behind the girls of NXT in a similar fashion.  I'm so happy that fans are taking to them like I have.

Secondly, I'm not as jaded as many others here.  I watch Raw every week and enjoy it, although I haven't watched Smackdown in a long time.  But, I agree that NXT has reinvigorated my love for the business.  It is so much like watching tv back in the 80s but with better between the bells action.  When I visit my parents I take my Roku box and my Dad and I watch NXT together just like we used to watch Superstars back in the day.  It has given me a part of my childhood back.

• Like 3

Yeah I love hearing about the stories of kids watching and enjoying NXT. I think HHH gets how to book to appeal to all ages and demographics. Sami and Bayley should be mega faces on the main roster.

I was just thinking how much trust HHH must be building up for a guy like Zayn who's basically delivered the main storylines of HHH's booking flawlessly over the past year.

• Like 1

I was talking to a friend during the special about how they have a potential gold mine with these girls if they use them right.  Young girls really look up to these ladies, even the heels.  I just hate that the girls on the main roster aren't positioned in a way to really empower the young kids.

• Like 1

I loved the show. My favorite moment was Sami's pathetic kick out after the 4th or so powerbomb. Just masterful.

I like Owens, but I'm not crazy about them comparing him to Brock. Brock is a giant compared to Owens. Owens going up to the main roster as is will be like when 911 showed up in wcw. I feel like Eric Rowan is twice his size.

I was talking to a friend during the special about how they have a potential gold mine with these girls if they use them right.  Young girls really look up to these ladies, even the heels.  I just hate that the girls on the main roster aren't positioned in a way to really empower the young kids.

I agree. That's why I am sure to enjoy what the NXT women are allowed to do now because there's no way they get any of that once they get to the main roster. 

• Like 1

Really impressed by Balor/Neville and Itami/Breeze was a fun way to open the show. The women's match really surprised me, as four-ways can usually suck so much: those women brought it, though.

I'm not sure about my feelings towards Owens/Zayn. I appreciate how Zayn can sell "being concussed" like a champ...but it's just a weird angle to run. Do they keep him off TV for six months to sell they really care about concussions? After CM Punk's blasting remarks about how HE was treated with a concussion during the Rumble, it just seems a weird angle to run. My girlfriend truly believed he was concussed, though, and thought Owens was a total dick out there...so...mission accomplished?

Owens is kind of in the Samoa Joe spot when he came to ROH with all those talented smaller wrestlers that make him seem bigger than what he is. I think he'll be fine going up against bigger guys, he moves around pretty well and has the intensity to believably chop these bigger guys down.

911 was a no talent one trick pony. Owens is a great all around talent who will probably get better under the WWE system.

It'll be interesting to see if Owens can get a good match out of Corbin at some point. If he does then he would have to be considered main roster ready.