DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

The Charlotte hate saddens me. Anyways I liked the 4-way, thought everyone looked good. Its nice to see Sasha take the belt though I'm not sure about the finish. I imagine Bayley takes the belt from Sasha later on in the year. Will be interesting to see how they build it.

Owens/Zayn dragged a bit for me,but I liked the story they told, especially at the end.

Really liked Itami/Breeze & balor/Neville. Thought those were the best matches Itami and Balor have had since coming in.

I went in wanting Charlotte to not lose the title in a 4 way as I hoped to see Charlotte/Becky 1 on 1 at one of these first but this was pretty much perfectly executed. Really awesome moment for Sasha that felt like something truly special when she won. Very well deserved in a very good match. Happy to see her win it. Charlotte & Sasha have been my favorite parts of NXT by far for the past 2 years. Loved the post-match bit as well. Sasha already looks great as champ.

Neville/Balor was as good as expected. That finishing stretch was excellent. The knees up on the Red Arrow looked brutal and was a great near fall and led perfectly into the finish with even more damage to the midsection. Good stuff.

Sara Del Rey has done a tremendous job training the ladies and helping them put together their matches. That 4 way was so excellently plotted out but not overdone like so many multi-person matches can get. Everybody came off looking incredible. Once Becky drops that incredibly lame rocker chick thing she's trying, she'll be special. Bayley is on her way. Sasha is the best. Charlotte is a freak athlete, has a good presence, and is going to get a lot better in execution.

• Like 2

The depth in the NXT women's division is insane, it probably goes at least 5 deep which is crazy. I think the best shot WWE has in really capturing the young girls, if they book them well on the main shows, are Bayley and Alexa Bliss being their version of the Crush Gals or something, maybe start them out with a women's tag title in NXT once the other girls are good to go. Following them on Twitter and IG and the connection they have to little girls is absolutely amazing and something I don't think I've ever seen in mainstream US wrestling. I know them being treated like big deals is a long shot on the main roster but the connection they have is undeniable. I'd love to see Becky and Sasha be their nemeses like how Bull and Dump were to Nagoya and Asuka.

But of course this all probably has a better shot of happening in EWR than it does in present day WWE.

Well, if Trips is planning on making NXT its own brand and less of a feeder for WWE proper, you might get your wish. I don't see any need for NXT talent to go to the main roster. They have so many people they're not using there, what are three or four more warm bodies they'll miscast and misuse right from the get go going to accomplish? Keep Charlotte and Neville with NXT and develop the brand.

I just finished the main event and totally agree with you on Zayn being the new Bret in that he sells every little move the heel does like it did serious damage. What a great fucking monster vs. ultimate babyface story and execution. Zayn has all the traits of a great, top of the line babyface you could want. Selling? The best in the world in my opinion. Fire? Fuck yeah! I love his huff 'n puff mini comeback spots. His pissed off promos are excellent. Him dropping f-bombs at the last Takeover was priceless. Fighting from underneath? Great work there too, as seen in his last ditch slaps. His offense works perfectly for hope spots. Plus, he's a genuine dude who comes across incredibly well much like Daniel Bryan. While the temptation is to anoint him the #1 guy in the world currently, I still think Bryan is right there with him. Bryan's had to change his offense and selling to better fit Vince's ideals, so it's difficult to say how much of Bryan is actually Bryan at this stage. 

What a day of rasslin between this and the Osaka NJPW show! Still got Lucha Underground to watch, too. Life as a fan without Raw and Smackdown hasn't been so easy in a long time.

• Like 1

Itami-Breeze ruled! Bull-Corbin was fun. Tag title match was an amusing clusterfuck - it was like a video game match with bad collision detection. Balor-Neville was a match of the year contender and better than anything on New Beginning. The women's title was even better and had me in tears by the end. Then we got the Sami-Owens hype video, which was so good it was the only thing really needed throughout the night to hype the match up and Kevin just dominated. It wasn't quite Brock-Cena, but it was even better.

Sami had A CHANCE with a moonsault, he took a risk, and it cost him as he was "concussed" after the landing and ate powerbomb after powerbomb. One trainer came down, so Kevin prevented aid with TWO POWERBOMBS. TWO MORE POWERBOMBS led to two trainers, and then finally, on the fifth powerbomb, Sami's limp body falls and it's over - Kevin Owens wins the title in only his second WWE match. This was masterful and one of the best shows WWE has ever had their name attached to.

Screens

f7ce0a389249326.jpg

e6ab81389249353.jpg

57d402389249374.jpg

e914a0389257296.jpg

119a17389257299.jpg

0e5c0c389257835.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/j27ljxtseupdjwdljgwooucjshb86g5p

and

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/vq6xdd6uj9gf1g71h3i5w6117u4t3b4z

Yup - TWO SETS OF GALLERIES are needed to contain this show's greatness.

• Like 1

Plus, much like Bryan, Zayn's character works so much better when chasing the gold rather than holding it. It really is perfectly booked. While Sami grew a lot in order to capture the title, he still showed a naive side, getting suckered into not just a match but a title match. They have set up a perfect foil for Zayn in Owens, too. Completely polar opposites yet cut from the same cloth. Now, instead of getting a rematch, I bet Owens does everything in his power to duck seeing Zayn again. I'm really excited to see how this plays out because it's set up on a tee for those two.

And, yeah, I adored the concussion bit coming off the split-legged moonsault. Great way to protect Zayn yet still make Owens look like a killer.

The Zayn concussion bit was a wonderful callback to his feud with Graves all those months ago when he lost by referee stoppage to him. I don't remember if the announcers played it up but it was a tremendous bit of continuity, intentional or not, I wasn't expecting.

Zayn was so great bumping around for Owens' offense. I was hoping for a package piledriver there at the end, but the way he was totally limp for those last powerbombs ruled too. Owens as the dominant heel is definitely the way to go with all those high-energy underdog faces on the roster who can bounce off him. The next year is looking great.

• Like 1

Does Bull Dempsey get the Mojo treatment now? Do they try building him back up? I don't think he can really offer more than what he's already done so I'm okay if we don't see him again unless he somehow improves massively in training. Give his TV time to Crowe. 

Bears repeating, but what NXT seem to be succeeding at is the minutiae. They're not trying to change the individuals overall character, but they're refining it.

On the of chance that the higher ups read this - dont send people up to Raw - establish NXT as your own competition. You've got arguably the best team working on it at the moment - build up brand loyalty that way...

Look Owens/Zayn is gonna get talked about,but can we talk about how smartly that 4 way was put together, because that was one of my favorite 4 ways ever.

It seems that every time there's an intricate women's match, Drake is the referee and you can tell he plays a big part in helping direct/cue the wrestlers up. I wonder if Drake is working closely with the gals and Del Rey to help set up the matches.

Zayn is the modern day Bret Hart in regards to how he sells and can get the fans to buy into and feel every horrible thing that's happening to him during his match. Zayn might be the best wrestler in the world right, it's amazing.

For me, Zayn is HBK in that sweet spot when he returned to WWE and his retirement. HBK oversold everything before that (not unlike Ziggler) but once the years and injuries caught up, he became an incredibly smart seller who told stories through his selling. The amazing part is Zayn has that element now.

The selfie stick was fucking glorious.

Thats just fantastic...

Was just about to lament the lack of love for the selfie stick. Can not wait for when he uses it as a foreign object.

Damn, two weeks ago someone told me Becky was going to win...

Really great show.  Could've done with more Breeze/Itami.  They have chemistry.  Tag match was sloppy, and it stood out in a bad way.  Baron/Bull was ok, bland.  Everything else delivered.  Owens as NXT Vader is perfect.

So was the woman who wanted to have Breeze's babies a work or a shoot? No one seems to be talking about it so I think it's a shoot, and if it is Breeze deserves all the credit in the world for acting like it's no big deal that a random woman just ran up to him and did not want to let go because this happens all the time.

I love Roman Reigns, am a huge mark for him, but is there a way to say the #1 contender contract was written horribly and therefore Balor can challenge Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania? I used to believe that the Roman Reigns era was going to last 3-4 years till all the NXT call-ups happen but I think the Roman Reigns era MIGHT last a year. If they brought up a good portion of the NXT roster today they'd sell gangbusters of merchandise and tickets. Balor's already on the John Cena merchandise schedule of a new t-shirt every big show, Owens and Zayn are no slouch in the merch selling department and if Bailey's shirt is not the #1 selling shirt to girls ages 0-12 than WWE is REALLY doing something wrong.

When Breeze came out I thought maybe he had a "Badd Blaster" or something. The I was like, "Wait...is that....that's a fucking customized selfie stick. That is AMAZING!". Because OF COURSE Tyler Breeze would have a selfie stick. And, yeah, that's totally going to be used to win him some matches in the future. Great bit to add to that character.

• Like 1