DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I love NXT don't get me wrong, I'm just thinking of Vince and HHH redoing Daggett and Bane.

- What the hell is going on, goddammit!

- The plan is proceeding as expected

- Oh really? Do I look like I've got my next set of main-eventers right now? Your plan for the Performance Center...it didn't work, my friend.....and now you have William Regal going round the country watching midgets in indy shows. How exactly is that going to help me find the next John Cena goddammit?

(to Stephanie) - Leave us!

- No stay here, I'm in charge goddamit!

- Do you feel in charge?

etc

• Like 1

I hear people pining for the "attitude" era to return and then hear hate for Enzo and Cass and wonder if people actually were watching back in the Attitude Era.

I assume that those two groups of people are distinct from one another in a lot of ways.

I can see why people would be annoyed by Enzo, which is why he really should be a heel when they call him up as the little shit-talking asshole who had to get his much bigger friend to bail him out of fights. They'll get over even though they aren't very good wrestlers just on their character work if they get booked to do a lot of sneak attacks and have Enzo be the little douchey guy that starts stuff all the time. 

I agree. No country for Enzo hate.

Holy fuck that Bliss and Dawson thing was weird. I guess it has been awhile since WWE has had a country bumpkin gimmick, Jamie Nobel was the last one right?

Jesse and Festus may be the last one. Did Noble work the country bumpkin thing in his last run? He has an accent (but so does Heath Slater) but I don't recall him being much of a bumpkin in his last run. 

I love NXT don't get me wrong, I'm just thinking of Vince and HHH redoing Daggett and Bane.

- Oh really? Do I look like I've got my next set of main-eventers right now? Your plan for the Performance Center...it didn't work, my friend.....and now you have William Regal going round the country watching midgets in indy shows. How exactly is that going to help me find the next John Cena goddammit?

- Do you feel in charge?

etc

The only NXT footage they actually send Vince is Mojo.

• Like 1

- Do you feel in charge?

etc

The only NXT footage they actually send Vince is Mojo.

I guess that's why Vince's VHS recorder has been broken for the last 6 months and all those repairmen are having all having tragic accidents.

Big Cass and Enzo are probably one of the acts most likely to succeed on the main show.

I was quite surprised by the negativity displayed by the DVDVR crew on that podcast, but I will admit that there are not a lot of obvious superstars in waiting. Not convinced about Corbin at all, hard to see Itami reaching IC-level, Neville is pretty good but he'll need a gimmick, Breeze has a gimmick but there's something to the poor man Ziggler jibe, Demon Balor will get over but regular Balor not so much I'm thinking, Owens can't play Vader on RAW, Zayn can probably reach IC level as good a storyteller he is but main-event might be a stretch, Kalisto will shift the merch right enough, Blake & Murphy are a bust, Bull isn't gonna make it.

COME BACK MOJO, ALL IS FORGIVEN!!!!!

I get where you are coming from, but it's hard to gauge this stuff.  I didn't expect Bryan to ever top IC/US level in the WWE.  I figured The Shield was getting buried in token bodyguard roles when they first came in.  

NXT is being booked for a difference audience as RAW, even though there is obvious overlap.

To me, NXT shows the need for a well-booked Cruiserweight title or TV title. Something for them to fight over upon getting called up, or even used to rehash old NXT angles/feuds, to get guys over more than "Hey, here's Adam Rose and a bunny."  Imagine Neville and Zayn given time to feud over a TV title, they'd get over a lot more than showing up and trading wins with Titus and Slater.

Bryan is about to headline his second consecutive Mania there's no need for a cruiser division if a 5'8 180 lb guy can main event the biggest show of the year. The WWE audience is more work rate friendly now than ever. Sami is a guy you could make in one night by having Rollins issue an open challenge the night after Mania. Even in a loss a 15 minute tear the house down match would make Zayn. Cena may be lost in the shuffle if post Rusev, and I could see Owens being a great feud for him. Cena's already been crying about NXT guys coming up to take his spot in promos.

I think if guys like the Uso's and Ziggler have gotten over by mostly just having good matches(or what WWE fans consider good matches) there's reason to believe Neville, Breeze, Balor and Itami have a decent shot as well.

Also Cass and Enzo are awesome. All I hear from older fans who bitch about the current product is nobody can work the mic anymore.

I don't buy the "there's no need for a cruiserweight division" (although the reason I included a TV title as a possibility was to counter that) argument.  The point isn't "these guys can't win the heavyweight title", the point is "here's something for these guys to fight over that keeps them away from the upper-mid card glut of talent". 

I don't think Rey, Jericho, and Malenko were harmed by having the cruiserweight title to feud over, nor do I think they would have been more credible threats to the World title if the cruiserweight title didn't exist back then.  It wasn't like anyone said, "Jericho is trying to win the US Heavyweight Title?!?  But he's a cruiserweight!"

Rey is the only guy to ever hold a company's cruiserweight title and world title, and that probably wouldn't have happened if Eddy hadn't died. None of the WCW cruiser weight wrestlers got close to a world title in that company, and Rey(a once in a lifetime talent) is the only breakout star from WWE's cruiser division.

I'd rather not take the chance on putting that label on guys coming up from NXT. Unless you want some Kalisto & Torito vs Balor & Hornswaggle matches that is.

Rey is the only guy to ever hold a company's cruiserweight title and world title, 

Its technical and requires some buyout crossover, but...

Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, Jeff Hardy, KENTA, and Marufuji say otherwise.

Rey is the only guy to ever hold a company's cruiserweight title and world title, 

Its technical and requires some buyout crossover, but...

Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, Jeff Hardy, KENTA, and Marufuji say otherwise.

Cena's already been crying about NXT guys coming up to take his spot in promos.

Man, Cena is the fucking master for being able to heel on smart marks during his babyface promos.

Cena's the greatest tweener of all-time. Most people associate tweeners with cool heels. But Cena's lame dude face stuff is way more effective.

• Like 2

The fact still remains over the last 20 years in this country only Rey won a cruiser title and world title in the same company. Being a cruiserweight wrestler isn't something you want on your resume if you have main event aspirations. The only other WWE cruiserweight ever to get close to being past the mid card was Matt Hardy a guy working a too big to be a cruiserweight gimmick.

To my knowledge neither Benoit or Jeff Hardy won a cruiser title in this country.

Cena is by far the greatest tweener of all time he's equally loved and hated, and everyone has a strong opinion about him. You really can't ask for more than that out of a tweener character(though he wasn't supposed to be one). Cena going on a preemptive strike against top NXT guys to protect his spot is the greatest angle we won't see this year.

Benoit didn't.  Jeff Hardy was a former WWF Light Heavyweight Champ before the belt was retired, beat Jerry Lynn, lost it to X-Pac.

Jericho and Eddy were both WCW Cruiserweight Champs, and that belt was one of the only two carryovers from WCW.  Both Jericho and Eddy got up to US title Level in WCW, and were World Champs in WWF/E, so the "you can't be a Crusier champ and get over as a Heavy" argument is wrong.  

That's in this country.  Both KENTA and Marufuji in the last 10 years were GHC Jr and Heavy champs, so there goes your no one ever did it in the same company argument.

Benoit's the only one that won Jr/Cruiser/Light Heavy titles in one country and Heavyweight titles in another.

That's just what a quick look through title histories found.

Big difference in the belt Christian won, and the one Lesnar has now. There's plenty of guys that could use that second world title. Reigns could get his title win this year while Brock defended the real world title against Bryan.