DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/6 - 9/12/2023 - NOW 100% CM PUNK FREE!

Dolfan in NYC

Swerve can lose every feud and no one will remember or care because he is so charismatic. He is such a good evil mastermind heel. All he has ever needed were good flunkies to have behind him. Hit Row were decent. But he got saddled with dreck with his Moguls. Now he finally has something with Nana as his manager (and his dope dancing) and Brian Cage as his muscle and whoever else they have with him. He looks like the coolest dude in the room in every room, and he knows it, and he will kick you in the face to remind you. 

I hope he wins the title this winter and we have a Happy Black History Month — one of my favorite smug heel getaway lines from when he and the dopes he was with at the time messed up Golddust in some abandoned lot. 

I also don’t mind Swerve getting beat now if he is the one who upends MJF. This way you have dudes like Darby and Keith Lee and maybe even Dustin (!!!) in line to take him on, along with the aces already lined up. 

It is a race between Swerve and Ricky Starks to be the lead heel in the company next year. Ricky is in the lead right now since he has had feuds and matches with the top top top and held his own (even though I did not see the strap match) and also might be MJF’s best dance partner in terms of a heated feud since MJF got the title. Yes, I know he defended against Danielson, but I thought the quick few weeks with Ricky Starks was way hotter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Nana dancing is a highlight of every single AEW show.

Prince Nana being on a nationally-televised promotion in 2023 makes me very happy.

I always think how funny it would be to talk to an ROH fan from like 2006 and tell them what's going on in wrestling right now. "Roderick Strong is being heavily featured in a major program right now, and it's because of his character work!"

• Like 11

Swerve/Hangman feud is so out of left field, but in a good way. That'll be a nice Wrestledream match, and even better if they're heating up Swerve to challenge to MJF at Full Gear. I think Hanger can eat the fall here and there's some potential with him and Kenny helping each other get back on track.

Mox giving OC a nod in a subtle torch-passing moment was a nice touch.

I have no idea what Toni Storm is doing, but I love it.

I also have to say that I'm impressed with them writing two separate mini-feuds with MJF to actually create some intrigue about the tourney.

• Like 5

Kinda hoping Joe gets the title, puts MJF on the shelf, Adam Cole beats Joe, and then we get to see if Adam will defend against his returning friend.

If you would've told me even just three months ago, that I'd be excited about a very long term Adam Cole/MJF storyline, I would've died laughing. But I love this story.

Liked the Swerve promo, but it's been so long since I've been interested in Adam Page's act, it almost felt sad. I'm hoping they've got something fun for both guys to do. Page is talented and I want to root for him, but he needs a good story to stay hot.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Swerve/Hangman feud is so out of left field, but in a good way. That'll be a nice Wrestledream match, and even better if they're heating up Swerve to challenge to MJF at Full Gear. I think Hanger can eat the fall here and there's some potential with him and Kenny helping each other get back on track.

I wouldn't mind this at all, especially considering FTR hold the tag belts and they were the ones that ended Hangman/Omega's reign, so it would be a fun callback

• Like 2

Swerve has been improving by leaps and bounds. Promo went a little long and was little too arch. I understand trepidations about what a match between Strickland and Page could look like, seems like a great opportunity for both guys to step up

MJF's face schtick does nothing for me. The pitch to the ice cream truck line was forced, fat jokes and the over emoting to the crowd, none of it is working on my end. Not to mention this tournament angle is fairly ridiculous since they did a tournament with a foregone conclusion as part of the last world title angle. The push on the ramp and a focus on Max's neck was all we really needed. Still early days though, eager to see how it goes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

MJF's face schtick does nothing for me.

It is for me, and it's weird why it is. I love that you can totally see the strings. He's playing a heel, playacting as a face. What I like about it is that it isn't the usual pro wrestling face turn where suddenly they're a good person. He's still that baseline "scumbag", but you can see that he's getting off on the crowd cheering his stuff, so he plays into it even more. I don't buy that he's actually turned over a new leaf. It plays like he's doing it to feed his own ego, but maybe in a more positive manner than running down the crowd every week.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Kinda hoping Joe gets the title, puts MJF on the shelf, Adam Cole beats Joe, and then we get to see if Adam will defend against his returning friend.

If you would've told me even just three months ago, that I'd be excited about a very long term Adam Cole/MJF storyline, I would've died laughing. But I love this story.

Liked the Swerve promo, but it's been so long since I've been interested in Adam Page's act, it almost felt sad. I'm hoping they've got something fun for both guys to do. Page is talented and I want to root for him, but he needs a good story to stay hot.

I think the other problem for Page, and this one is really puzzling, but he's one of the top faces in the company and he's used on TV so inconsistently. I'm not sure if that's just Hangman wanting to spend more time at home and not be a part of more storylines, or TK just thinking for whatever reason he has no place for Page, which should never happen.

• Like 2

Page may have some reservations about his bump card. Based on Cagematch, he’s only had two singles matches since the Texas Death match with Mox. Not that the tags he’s been in haven’t been physical, but he may be careful about how he’s used. 

• Like 1

Singles babyface Swerve in MLW 2017, using Ain’t Nobody as his music, he looked like he could be a top Champion in a big company.

Although he has added quite a lot of Main Event Muscle recently.

• Like 1

I was hoping that someday Will Hobbs would get the distinction of being the first Black AEW WHC but Swerve's promo was money as hell, and if they end up going that route with him down the line, I'm perfectly happy with it.

It'd be cool if Swerve were the one wrestling MJF for it at Grand Slam - I cant remember if it was last year or the first one, but we saw Fab and Jadakiss in the crowd, so if youre looking for that hip hop tie-in I cant think of a better time. Maybe next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Since Mox is on kind of his own chaotic neutral plane, Samoa Joe, Christian, Swerve and Ricky Starks are the top heels in the company. That’s like 4 of my top 5 dudes. It’s awesome.

I’m enjoying this, too. Whatever TK is paying Christian, he’s worth it.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Is this the first time in his career Roderick Strong has had an actual character?

His NXT feud with Roode was good but that was more Roddy reacting to Bobby's shots towards his wife and family than anything else.

HIs leader of Diamond Mine run after losing the Cruiserweight title was good as jealous potentially washed up gym leader but the angle ended when they did the injury and he just waited out his contract.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think the other problem for Page, and this one is really puzzling, but he's one of the top faces in the company and he's used on TV so inconsistently. I'm not sure if that's just Hangman wanting to spend more time at home and not be a part of more storylines, or TK just thinking for whatever reason he has no place for Page, which should never happen.

I've been thinking this a lot since Hangman lost the belt. Also him, Omega and the Bucks almost never cut promos and literally almost never cut live promos. For being the guys the company was originally built around and for being part of so many long term, complicated storylines, we almost never get any insight into their psyches or motivations, especially since their return from the Brawl Out suspension. I find Elite feuds are largely told via their heel opponents' promos. None of them are great talkers anyway (although Hangman on his best days clearly strikes a chord with the core fanbase), but it would be nice to see them interact with their opponents more leading up to matches beyond just staredowns and pull-aparts 

Also re: Swerve eating losses and his mystique surviving; he's mastered a really good disappointed "you little fucker did you just pin me" face that I think is pretty effective as his WM6 Hogan face where it sells the loss as really being more about how intense and tenacious Swerve is. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I still have the main event to watch, but the best part of the show was absolutely Nana dancing down to the ring.

I was dancing along with Nana a couple of weeks ago and my wife looked at me like I was nuts,

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I was dancing along with Nana a couple of weeks ago and my wife looked at me like I was nuts,

I was dancing along with Nana last night and my cat looked at me like she wanted something to eat.

Ok, she probably thought I was nuts, too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3