DVDVR Message Board

The Purge (Tony's Version)

Dasha is probably being replaced by Arkady Unterleidner, who they hired back in February. She’s already been at a few shows and did some ring announcing.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I seriously got Anthony Henry and Kevin Blackwood mixed up constantly.  Young white guys, similar builds, lots of tattoos, penchant for weird hair color...

Anthony Henry was born in 1983. He's 40 years old.

Here is Henry and Blackwood facing each other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ_Gktfg71A

(It's very stiff)

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, AxB said:

This makes me muse on the concept of age distribution in wrestling wondering why guys now are so old compared to the top guys of yore. I guess it's a combination of medical advancements, better training, and a bottleneck at the national level where it takes guys a long time to get those spots and not wanting to let them go once they get there. Also overexposure making guys feel older than they are.

You look at the attitude era and the top guys were all young compared to the midcarders of today. Austin, Foley, Taker, and even Shawn were all in their early 30s when that era kicked off in earnest. Rock and HHH were both still in their 20s (and Rocky was mostly out of wrestling by the time he turned 30). Bret was practically a dinosaur at 40 and he was just putting guys over in big programs by 97 (whether he wanted to or not). You can't even fault the next generation, as Cena, Orton, and Lesnar were all at the top of the card before turning 30. Batista was in his mid 30s by the time he made it as a "late bloomer." Somewhere after that, though, shit changed.

Copeland and Christian are older than Hogan when WCW went out of business,  Joe, Punk, and Danielson are older than Bret at Montreal. Jericho is as old as Flair in WCW. WWE's top guys are all nearing 40 themselves, though at least in Roman's case, he's been at the top for a while. You have dozens of midcarders who get the 15+ year vet label, when guys who got that label in the 90s were either at the top or jobbers.

Ultimately, I feel like AEW should prioritize youth in who they build around. Swerve is right about at the cut-off for time to pull the trigger. MJF at 28 is a prime asset who should be the centerpiece. Ospreay, Jay White, Hangman, Darby, Garcia, and even Hook are guys they should be looking toward in the future. If anything, AEW probably needs less midcard tag guys with 20 years of experience.

• Like 8

I’m a little irritated because of the notion that AEW didn’t release people without cause and let contracts expire. Maybe it was just a pandemic thing but I feel stupid for buying into the moral superiority of it. 

• Like 2

In terms of news cycle, releasing lower card or not being used talent when most of the industry eyeballs are going to be on Mania week makes sense on paper. They just didn’t know Phil was gonna Phil and disrupt the expected headlines. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

In terms of news cycle, releasing lower card or not being used talent when most of the industry eyeballs are going to be on Mania week makes sense on paper. They just didn’t know Phil was gonna Phil and disrupt the expected headlines. 

There are things on our mind in general:

• Henry's injured and has been getting a lot of good will and support over the last few weeks, including a well-selling shirt.
  • Slim J is on the DEAN card so he's on some of our minds.
  • Parker Boudreaux just debuted with AAA and answered YESTERDAY that he was still in AEW (now deleted)
  • The Boys' were just written out of a story in a way that didn't seem like a write-out but that is all over a match with month+ build for the ROH PPV this Friday, which is now going to feel pretty weird.

There's never good timing but the timing for those in specific feels bad. Khan has a media call on Thursday so...

• Like 3

Fair enough. Other than Stu, who I knew from Chikara and Inter Species, I think the others are just names I see people mention in threads. No offense to them, as it certainly is hard times for their future. Hopefully, whatever TV exposure they’ve gotten can help their Indy bookings. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hammerva said:

While I agree in terms of the talent (although I still stand on guys like Anthony Henry), the timing is extremely suspicious.

I would wager that AEW's fiscal year ended/begins on 4/1. These releases were probably just getting some things off the books before the start of the new fiscal year.

Surprising since Dasha was always great in all her roles and she did ring announcing, backstage interviews, Spanish commentary. Sucks that both her WWE and AEW releases come right after she makes one tiny error on a show and then gone. Really liked her ROH backstage interviews, thought they had a perfect group between her, Lexy, and Renee. 

Anthony Henry and especially Slim J were always highlights on Honor Club, so I'm sad to see them go. Thought for sure Dalton would ultimately be winning the Boys back from Johnny TV, so that's a weird one to do right before their feud blowoff.  I liked Jose the Assistant with Rush's group, a shame that's over and just kind of faded away after those vignettes with Dralistico/Preston and Rush's return

Sucks for Stu Grayson since after he left the first time, his return was a one off in Canada where he was so impressive he got rehired, now he gets let go right in the middle of them doing Canada shows again. Gravity surprised me just cause he seemed to be used fairly often across all the shows and event went over Komander on ROH PPV. 

• Like 1

Gravity has only been wrestling for 4 years, dude needs a lot of work but the potential is there. 

Parker is fucking terrible, unfortunately. 

I liked José but Roooooosh doesn't need a mouthpiece. 

None of these feel too shocking and when you're trying to bring in big stars like Ospreay, Okada, Mercedes, and even Copeland, you gotta free up some money somewhere. I sincerely hope guys like Slim J and Henry bounce back from this. 

Edited by Coletti

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Slim J is on the DEAN card so he's on some of our minds.

Fully intend to cheer extra loud for him & stop by his merch table if he's got one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Gravity is a little surprising as his brother, Bandido, is still under contract. You'd think they'd keep him around just for that reason.

For real. I figured he was gonna be a long term prospect/project like a Nick Wayne/Billie Starkz/Top Flight/etc.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AxB said:

In other words, young.

Oh, and @Log I wasn't let go by AEW just now, so this puts the "Shartnado is probably Gravity in a mask" thingy from last year to bed. I'm of course NOT signed by AEW, either but that's a completely different issue altogether.

Edited by Shartnado
Shartnado forgot to be Gravity...
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shartnado said:

In other words, young.

Oh, and @Log I wasn't let go by AEW just now, so this puts the "Shartnado is probably Gravity in a mask" thingy from last year to bed. I'm of course NOT signed by AEW, either but that's a completely different issue altogether.

This means the next person who goes to an AEW show needs to hold up a "Make Shartnado All Elite" sign.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TK said that Anthony Henry will be back once he's healed, which makes me wonder the point of cutting him at all. But still glad the Worlhorsemen are intact.

Also sounds like the Boys no-showed some dates that led to them getting written out and cut.

• Like 1

Nice to see AEW's official policy is "If you get hurt working on an indy because you need extra dates because we only book you maybe one night a week, you're fired".  That's a great look to debut after all the other things going on this week.

• Sad 1

There's a reason why you're not supposed to say WHY you let someone go publicly.

I imagine Megha is having quite an afternoon.

Edited by Raziel
  • Sad 1