DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

27 minutes ago, Log said:

Hold up. How did I just notice that Dolfan started this thread with Elsalvajeloco's "no one safer than Punk" post? That's harsh, man!

I would feel disrespected if it didn't.

• Like 6

Considering Mr Punk is such a strong advocate for the LGTBQ community, he’s probably quite upset that his departure from AEW has completely overshadowed the fact that Sonny Kiss has also departed from the company.

• Sad 4

A couple of the suggestions in this thread for Gangrel to come in... he already did once. He teamed with The Young Bucks (dressed as The Hardys) for a Trios Match already. Think it was on Rampage. Bonus points for Cuttler dressing like Lita for that one too. So yeah he's already done a match for AEW, I'm sure he would come in for another one if they reached out.

As far as a name for Edge, simplest and easiest way to avoid a lawsuit is to use his real name. Could get a clever little similarity if they had Chimmel do the intro similar to Rated RRRRRRR Superrrrrstarrrr but just call him The L...EDGE.... endaryyyyyy Adam Copeland or some shit like that.

The reason Christian can use Christian Cage is because that was his ring name on the indys. It predates WWE. Even if Edge is a temporary lapsed IP for WWE, Edge would never get the rights to it. WWE created the name & character and would definitely oppose it. Sure, they didn't oppose Billy Gunn once that lapsed. But if it's a main event player going to the rival, they would certainly stop that from being possible.

• Like 1

It would be a real novelty if the E would just be ok with some of their IP growing and expanding beyond them.  What really could they lose by letting Edge go and be Edge everywhere Edge goes?  It’s not like the first association somebody makes in their mind concerning him wouldn’t still be tied to the company.

Well from a business perspective you don't want to give up market share. If you're a lapsed or casual fan and check the PPV guide and see Edge v Chris Jericho you might be more apt to purchase it vs seeing Adam Copeland v Chris Jericho. From the WWE point of view, why would you want to give the competition a single bit of extra fire power? Ultimately sometimes it doesn't matter. Hall & Nash did just fine without the Diesel & Razor names. But why chance it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well from a business perspective you don't want to give up market share. If you're a lapsed or casual fan and check the PPV guide and see Edge v Chris Jericho you might be more apt to purchase it vs seeing Adam Copeland v Chris Jericho. From the WWE point of view, why would you want to give the competition a single bit of extra fire power? Ultimately sometimes it doesn't matter. Hall & Nash did just fine without the Diesel & Razor names. But why chance it.

I guess because I just don’t see the firepower as threatening to them.  I’m supposing that whatever starpower that a guy like Edge carries isn’t going to tip any scales in ratings, merch, or ticket sales.  

Now if we were talking about The Rock.  I’d definitely put a stop to that.  He has actual cultural penetration on just about every level.  Edge or (another) Adam it really doesn’t matter (cost) that much in pride or revenue.

Actual Edge being in AEW would only reflect fondly on both companies.  I’m not betting on it happening.  But I can see the angle that has an upside for everyone involved.

Edited by Brandon Bones
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dog said:

Even if we're willing to accept that you didn't know it's a slur, the fact remains that you don't think wrestlers who can be perceived as effeminate can be legit fighters or ass-kickers, which is factually incorrect (Johnny B. Badd, Adrian Street, Adrian Adonis, etc.) and dangerously close to homophobia, in and of itself. That's what you were communicating by trying to discredit Omega by calling him "twinkletoes."

When did I say that? I called Kenny “twinkle toes” because he fucking tap dances during his comebacks. I’ve said here multiple times that I despise pretense, and I think Kenny might be the most pretentious wrestler alive. Johnny B Badd might’ve been my first favorite wrestler, and Dalton Castle is probably the wrestler I’m most into at the moment. Fun story about Marc Mero; as a kid, my best friends little sister was diagnosed with leukemia. It was pretty bad, but one of the things that made her smile was Marc & Rena visiting the children’s hospital in Atlanta on Sundays. Marc answered a shitton of questions from my boy Charles & me about wcw, the business, all the while never ruining the magic for us. He was so gracious that my dad, who is a curmudgeon of the highest order who thinks wrestling is fucking stupid, kept an autographed 8x10 of Mero in a place of honor in the sports memorabilia section of our basement because of what he did for Laura. So fuck all the way off with accusing me of not liking wrestlers who project as effeminate. You’re looking for reasons to be offended because I think your favorite wrestler is a pretentious dipshit. All I’ve ever asked for is for the Jackson’s and Kenny to care as much about selling as they do getting their shit in. 

Edited by just drew

Saw an article liking Punk to Bruiser Brody - Brody was pretty famous for sticking up promoters at the worse moments.   Brody frankly worked himself into a corner at the end, his lack of reliability plus the territory system drying up lead to a real lack of availability. Punk may have done the same.  Yes there is a run in WWE maybe for him. 

There ways to lead organizations organically and ways to be an a$$hole. Punk's need for self righteousness is his own down fall. But never say never - Tony Schiavone was all the way out and is now all the way back in. 

Punk being let go is the right call. I wanted it to work. I understand Punk is an unrelenting asshole to those he perceives as his enemies. But there's an endearing kind of quality to him that shines through sometimes when he's advocating for trans rights or women's rights, or advocating for his underappreciated friends like Danhausen & Brody King. There is good within him. And his mind and body of work were a real positive.

But we hit a fork in the road when he broke his foot. He was mad at himself for his body screwing him over right when the rocket got strapped to him. He had time to sit at home and stew in his own anger. Being away from it no doubt he let his mind wander and started escalating. The throw away Hangman line probably ends up being a nothing if Punk doesn't get hurt. He moves on to his next thing and his mind doesn't linger on it. But he came back different. Bitter. Unhappy. And most of it was created in his own mind with the idle time away. Him throwing Page under the bus (and getting away with it) on live TV sealed his fate, even if we didn't know it at the time. We were on the road to drama starting that night.

It sucks but AEW will be better off without him (morale wise). And Punk himself will be better off not having to drag himself through a miserable work experience (even if he's the one who made it misereble to begin with). If the fight with Perry really was so bad they were knocking shit over and fucking up pyro / putting staff in danger then Punk had to have known what he was doing. It's all kind of depressing in a lot of ways. In his head he was coming back for the right reasons. But the right reasons turned to the wrong ones in record time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

A couple of the suggestions in this thread for Gangrel to come in... he already did once. He teamed with The Young Bucks (dressed as The Hardys) for a Trios Match already. Think it was on Rampage. Bonus points for Cuttler dressing like Lita for that one too. So yeah he's already done a match for AEW, I'm sure he would come in for another one if they reached out.

He unfortunately didn't wrestle then, just managed the Bucks for a squash that night and then they turned on him while the Hardyz made the save.

His first appearance was actually back in 2020 during the Matt/Guevara Elite Deletion match. Then in 2021, he was supposed to come in for something with Christian but got canceled after Edge did his "Brood Edge" deal that same week.

Definitely want a full Brood reunion in 2023!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

Please, no Edge by any name in AEW. Thank you. 

I concur. He's washed and there's literally no one I care to see him wrestle. Plus, Christian has a good thing going and if Edge shows up, he's inevitably going to get tied to him somehow. We all know how good Christian is, but whenever Edge is around it's always Edge and Christian with the emphasis on Edge.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Considering Mr Punk is such a strong advocate for the LGTBQ community, he’s probably quite upset that his departure from AEW has completely overshadowed the fact that Sonny Kiss has also departed from the company.

That really bummed us out when it was announced Sonny left.  She deserved much more than was given and even in ROH would be cheered when with the Trustbusters.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Punk being let go is the right call. I wanted it to work. I understand Punk is an unrelenting asshole to those he perceives as his enemies. But there's an endearing kind of quality to him that shines through sometimes when he's advocating for trans rights or women's rights, or advocating for his underappreciated friends like Danhausen & Brody King. There is good within him. And his mind and body of work were a real positive.

This sums it up better than I could have said it. For the reasons above and then some I think Punk truly is a good guy.  Which makes it frustratingly sad finding out all the bullshit that's happened.  Looking back my favorite version of Punk has nothing to do with wrestling.  When he was away for 7 years he found things that made him happy and it was hard to not be happy for him.  I hope that once the smoke clears he can go back to doing that.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, just drew said:

You’re looking for reasons to be offended because I think your favorite wrestler is a pretentious dipshit.

Kenny Omega isn't even in my top 20 (30? 50?) favorite wrestlers.

I'm not the only one who thought your hatred of his "dancing" was code for other things.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, elizium said:

I concur. He's washed and there's literally no one I care to see him wrestle. Plus, Christian has a good thing going and if Edge shows up, he's inevitably going to get tied to him somehow. We all know how good Christian is, but whenever Edge is around it's always Edge and Christian with the emphasis on Edge.

When asked about "his friend Adam Copeland" potentially joining him in AEW at the media scrum:

"I only talk about myself, and Luchasaurus, and I have no friends other than Luchasaurus. I'll leave it at that" - Christian Cage

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Casey said:

The Independent has an article comparing Punk to Donald Trump and the Proud Boys. Yeah that’s a completely rational take 🙄

Just read it, a truly whack opinion from someone with zero sense of proportion (and who omitted key details to slant the uninformed reader towards his conclusion so par for modern discourse). If you think Punk is toxic that's fine, the term is starting to lose any meaning anyway, but if you put his firing up there with Trump's indictment in your mind then you should stop watching wrestling for a while

• Like 8