DVDVR Message Board

RIP DEAN RASMUSSEN

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I will edit this into my first post too but just wanted to pass on to everyone that the outpouring of support from here (DVDVR) and the wrestling community is greatly appreciated by Dean's family.

And the updates so far are positive

Thanks for keeping in contact with them and for keeping us in the loop. I know Dean has been in your life far more than most of us here and I know this is probably really tough on you to do these check ins. You hang in there as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I probably would have "grown out" out of being a wrestling fan at some point, if I didn't discover DEAN and DVDVR... so I have DEAN to blame for a lot. But anyways, he's the best and I hope he gets well soon!

• Like 6

This sucks, obviously, but it has been really heartening to see people on twitter talking about the influence that DEAN~! and the DVDVR crew has had on them.

• Like 7

I donated, and best wishes to DEAN and family. DEAN is one of the good ones. I recall nearly 18 years ago when I was doing a little live internet radio show DEAN would tune in and make song requests. He's in my thoughts.

• Like 2

DEAN got me to fight off my ADD and actively contribute to the DVDVR for years. That's what a righteous dude he truly is, allowing a knucklehead like me into his inner Playboy circle. Sending him and his the strongest possible vibes.

• Like 13

I haven't posted here in a dog's age but I do lurk about now and again. I got some comps from a few folk on here a long time ago and it opened my eyes to a lot of things I'd never have seen otherwise.

Also, I completely stole Dean's use of tildes~! into my own lexicon.

Donated, best wishes to Dean and his family.

Edited by Mr. Monday Morning
  • Like 6

I'd just like to say I've donated and I'm sending the very best wishes to the whole family. I don't post too often as I've never got anything witty or insightful to add but I've been coming here for years and I've learned and discovered so much.

• Like 5

I don’t know or want to know if the old BlogTalkRadio podcasts are still online somewhere but those were fun to listen to thanks to people like Dean and Schneider even if I contributed near nothing whenever I actually called in.

• Like 1

Here are the reasons why I love Dean:

1) He makes watching wrestling fun. So many huge wrestling fans like us love to shit on wrestling. When has Dean ever been one of those people?  He watched what he likes, and even in the old reviews he made terrible wrestling enjoyable. (And it is frequently more enjoyable than good wrestling.)

2) Even though I never met Dean, he just feels like a cool older brother. On top of being a wrestling nerd in the best way possible, Dean also has really great taste in music that mirrors and also influenced mine. I got really into Jesus and Mary Chain and a bunch of other things because of him. Having someone with awesome taste and also into wrestling is pretty rare at times. 

3) He wrote and made a bunch of things that stayed with me all of these years. Like his comic recaps of Smackdown, and the awesome drawing he did of Eddie after Eddie’s heel turn on Rey, using it to describe how incredible Eddie was at using his eyes to convey the story. I have no idea where he wrote it, but Dean also wrote something once about watching It’s A Wonderful Life at a movie theater and crying and it was so evocative and beautiful.

4) Few things make me happier than seeing Dean like one of my posts. It is so validating. It is weird to say but when someone who is really influential in how I think about professional wrestling likes what I am writing about professional wrestling really does feel awesome.

5) He was the first person I know of to talk about Antichristo. And Ken The Box. And all kinds of the goofy and awesome side of wrestling. 

• Like 15

I signed up here a while back but never posted anything. After hearing about Dean's situation on Twitter, I just wanted to pop in and offer my well wishes and support to Dean. I've never had the chance to interact with him but have heard his name through following Phil's work and also reading Segunda Caida. Hoping for the best for him and his family.

• Like 9

Nothing but positive energy to Dean and his family.

This place has been my home for Wrestling and every other dorky hobby for damn near 20 years now.  This place has always been a buffet of different types of/opinions on wrestling and everything else under the sun and I feel like Dean's positivity was what set the table.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hope someone can do a screenshot and post it here.

Oh hey good y'all can see it. ❤️

EDIT: I don't have Twitter so please link the GoFundMe in the comments

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Oh hey good y'all can see it. ❤️

EDIT: I don't have Twitter so please link the GoFundMe in the comments

I'm in section 9 on floor seats. So glad to know you're there with the sign.

Also, TK donated 5 grand which is fucking wild.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Not even blocking anyone else's view with the sign. A++

Yep. This just did me in. All the prayers in the world for the big guy. I spoke with DEAN a fair amount back probably 10-12 years ago, and I recall when we'd all grab stuff off MegaUpload which was the cool file sharing program at the time and I wasn't sure what I wanted to check out one night, so DEAN uploaded a dozen obscure lucha matches in a folder for me. I'd read those DVDVR's and it introduced me to an entirely new world of wrestling. I think I called into those BlogSpotRadio shows a few times and had to tell my drunk mother to keep it down so I could chat wrestling with DEAN and the boys. Feeling hopeful, and the GFM is at almost 19k right now. The outpouring of support is one of the best things I've seen. 

• Like 10