DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

You know what's something I like that AEW has? All that space at ringside. For some reason, I really like giving the performers some extra room outside near where the announcers would normally be. Reminds me of a AAA event I watched. Not sure if that's something they normally have, but yeah.

I actually think that extra space for this show might’ve been for the Blood & Guts they had originally booked.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Man, all this talk about the sleaze thread and the non-stick section is taking me back.  It's also a really fitting that it's this time being discussed in the AEW thread where a former member is about to have their biggest week. 

"former" ?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

The part of JT will be played by Denzel Washington.

But who will be Denzel’s friend now? ?

Edit to add: I saw TK is apparently going to have a Rap Battle with Max Caster at the Queens show. Anyone got some bars for our former compatriot? Also, will we will see the cringey (or adorable YMMV) foot stamp of passion on display?

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Custos said:

Anyone got some bars for our former compatriot? 

Straight outa Urbana-Champaign, my name is Tony

I'm a genuinely nice guy, I'm not a phony

I love pro wrestling, I'm not bluffing

We went all in, then went double or nothing

The more wrestlers I sign you know my roster gets bigger

Brian's contract expired and I pulled the trigger

CM Punk shows up and the fans are popping

Gonna keep signing guys although the roster is whopping

Don't you even start to think think that I'm done shopping

When Steen shows up you know it's gonna be shocking

Taking on Vince like I'm Don Quixote

With Kenny and Chris, the Young Bucks and Cody

Lotta wrestlers signing up because they know we

Payed our respects to our brother Brodie

Our fan base and roster just keep on growing

Now we're also gonna pay our respects to Bret's brother Owen

Ruby Riot came here to get exposure

Because in AEW we let our wrestlers get over

Here on Dynamite on Friday night

We're one big family and we treat each other right

So hey, Max Caster: Show some tact and class

It would make me really sad to have to fire your ... *Tony S takes the mic away* Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Custos said:

But who will be Denzel’s friend now? ?

Edit to add: I saw TK is apparently going to have a Rap Battle with Max Caster at the Queens show. Anyone got some bars for our former compatriot? Also, will we will see the cringey (or adorable YMMV) foot stamp of passion on display?

I slayed MC's in EWR expansions
My style broke New York's fuckin neck like Stan Hansen

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Straight outa Urbana-Champaign, my name is Tony

I'm a genuinely nice guy, I'm not a phony

I love pro wrestling, I'm not bluffing

We went all in, then went double or nothing

The more wrestlers I sign you know my roster gets bigger

Brian's contract expired and I pulled the trigger

CM Punk shows up and the fans are popping

Gonna keep signing guys although the roster is whopping

Don't you even start to think think that I'm done shopping

When Steen shows up you know it's gonna be shocking

Taking on Vince like I'm Don Quixote

With Kenny and Chris, the Young Bucks and Cody

Lotta wrestlers signing up because they know we

Payed our respects to our brother Brodie

Our fan base and roster just keep on growing

Now we're also gonna pay our respects to Bret's brother Owen

Ruby Riot came here to get exposure

Because in AEW we let our wrestlers get over

Here on Dynamite on Friday night

We're one big family and we treat each other right

So hey, Max Caster: Show some tact and class

It would make me really sad to have to fire your ... *Tony S takes the mic away* Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

I heard the beat and everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

I liked Janela/Sonny more than I thought I would. Had my doubts as to whether Sonny could bring the intensity needed to sell a feud like this in the ring, but he looked good in there. Strikes were solid.

I was betting that the crowd would kill a solid effort from both.  I was thinking the crowd wouldn’t be as up to date in the goings on or forgot about the one highlight of the piledriver shown on Dynamite.   (BTW, auto correct tried to replace piledriver with “puked river”)

But damn, the crowd was into it.  The angle afterward worked well enough to continue the story.  Solid undercard material.

• Haha 1

Well, the show was in New Jersey, and both Sonny and Joey are from New Jersey, so you'd think they'd be into it. Chicago got behind Skye Blue even after not knowing who she was at first.

We really loved Sonny/Joey a ton.  You can tell it's setting up a rematch but that a pretty good Act 1.  I sense it'll blow off in some type of hardcore match and in a just world Sonny wins the feud.  I see a lot of upside in him especially when he brings the intensity so hopefully this leads to something bigger.

I am watching Elevation:

Rosa vs Kaia: You guys realize I haven't seen much Rosa right? I'd say 75% of what she did looked really good. Loved the chop to the stomach and the face, loved the dropkick to the back in the ropes. I think she gave Kaia a little too much because while her rib shots were a good idea, the execution was really lackluster. I thought there was a moment where she just took back over and wasn't going to give everything back but then Kaia hit the quizzical jawbreaker (which was worth it for Eddie's Ogawa reference but not much else). Biggest issue I had with Rosa was her goofy back somersault after the cool dropkick to the back in the ropes to set up the next spot. I'm sure that's one of her signature moves/flourishes and the crowd expects it but she was way out of position and instead of it adding to the move and setting her up for more momentum, it just looked really silly. Otherweise, she moved very well in there. My gut says that this one stuck too close to a script that Kaia couldn't quite execute and maybe Rosa should have called an audible and just goozled her for her own good? Happy to see more Rosa but I'm not over the top wowed out of the gate.

Gunn Club trios: It's funny how much we all used to resent Billy back in 2001 when he was taking the IC belt from Benoit and whatever. Now he just makes it look easy with a simple matter-of-fact confidence that goes along with his size. I think it would have been commonplace 30 years ago but it's nice to see now. Austin's interesting to watch? Sort of Brian Christopher vibes with how hyper and over the top he is. He fed well for a second or two in the comeback there and wasn't afraid to bump. I'm less sure about his offense. It was always neat when Billy started using that armdrag/suplex/powerslam thing in the early 00s. It finishes a ton of French matches actually, but Austin used it more as a neckbreaker like Colt. I like the legacy element there anyway. I don't think Colton even got in there so who knows. Other side was fine for what they were expected to do. No comments.

Dark Order Explodes: I thought everyone was good here with Colt putting on an excellent, excellent performance. It was a little overwrought, went on too long, and needed to be refined into tighter emotional beats for the sake of the crowd. I get the idea that it going long meant that the pressure just kept building for Colt to fire off on Angels, but it wasn't entirely worth the time invested to get to that point; they could have gotten there sooner and with less noise, even if there was some artfulness to the mess. And the proof there is the crowd not really being into this despite caring about everyone there. When Angels pegged Cabana on the apron, there was a disappointed/sad oooh and that worked with the brief please don't fight chant, but otherwise, it just wasn't resonating. The mask ripping was a huge moment but then they went around one too many times with the finish. Would have preferred Angels pegging him, Uno trying but Angels ducking it for a roll up pin instead of what we got. All these guys are committed to the act, but I love the way Uno moves like a video game minion or something.

Cassidy vs Verna: This was quick. My head cannon says that Verna going so quickly to kicking Cassidy in the gut meant that he played right into his hands (as opposed to a more featured match where Cassidy's opening shtick would last longer) and led to the quick finish but of course that's ridiculous in a good way. Lookswise, Verna should probably be on NXT 2.0?

Private Party vs Santi/Goodz: This might be the first time I've seen Private Party and they looked good in a squash. Quen's little flourishes as he does moves (like the hands on his head during the rana) are fun and because he's on my mind, makes me want to see him against Cassidy who does similar but very different things. Good little tag team maneuvering, nice tandem Kaientai DX style bits. Not sure how they'd do in a real match in putting this stuff together (as i could see them not implementing their offense into the tag structure but just spamming it, which is a problem with almost all 2010s and on wrestling) but this was a fun squash. The quasi leaping hot tag from the other side was annoying because it wasn't at all earned.

Shida vs Slamovich: Ok yeah, this gets the full Worldwide point or whatever. Chippy as hell despite them doing some acrobatics and elaborate stuff which is always impressive. Slamovich took the rana right on her head and then, a little while later just ate that headbutt in the corner. Maybe you don't do dragon suplexes in the middle of Elevation matches? I don't know. Hard to say because I still kind of went nuts for it. I love that the move that took extra effort here wasn't the finish but the sit out dominator which was the thing that turned the tide and put Slamovich in a state that she wouldn't recover from, even if it took a couple more moves to put her away. Good stuff.

Kiss vs Janela: Great opening minute or two here with the initial hot attack, the dive, the shot back to the ring with the blood, and then the shot to Kayla taking out Sonny. Just a lot to process one after the other and a pretty perfect way to open the match. After that it was a sprint which was brutal and high stakes (that bump on the apron!) but maybe didn't lean into the animosity as much as I would have liked. Kiss taking a few detours from what was laid out to attack the wound between spots would have been nice, for instance. Look, kicking out of a Spanish fly and two pile drivers is not cool but I'm ok with fiery and revenge-minded Kiss doing it before a banana peel finish; it just should have been more on Janela to create some space and logic by taking time and getting heat before the pin. Protect moves.

Santana/Ortiz vs Dunn/Good: Well, I guess we can't really say how Dasher did, huh? Yeesh. I haven't seen a lot of Santana/Ortiz but they had a good flowing rhythm here, while maintaining their image/persona/presence. The contradiction sort of makes it work. Again, it works as a squash but I imagine in a real match it'd all be spots back and forth as people disrupted it and they got it back, but I can't know that for sure. I can't see these guys hanging out with Jericho.

Dustin vs QT: So Dustin's a pretty amazing pro wrestler in how good his stuff looks, in how he works from underneath, in how he engages the crowd like no one else (but maybe Christian) does in 2021. Maybe that's all we should say this week? As for QT, I wish he wouldn't work quite so strong. I think there are things he does well but he should work 20% more manager-y and chickenshit. That would serve him better for his role on the show. He's a guy who shouldn't be doing a top rope superplex without some outside help, that should use that Enzuigiri as an opportunistic desperation move more and something maybe that he's suprised that he hits. I don't know about the power bomb. He's best served as a more Heenan-like figure in a six man. Still dangerous when he smells blood but will probably lose a fair fight.

General thought: Eddie is such a joy to listen to but there's definitely a sense that we're on borrowed time with him in this role. Let's enjoy it while we can.

• Like 5

I get why they may want to pull Kingston from the booth from their perspective, but they have such a big diverse roster right now and a YouTube channel. Give me an hour of wrestling with Eddie doing play-by-play, color, and putting himself over. Rotate a different one of his buddies in to sit in with him for ball busting purposes. Maybe they can even just get some old footage from a territory or Japan to do commentary tracks over. 

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw the weather and had to verify the dome part so all systems go.  I'm going to make a day trip out of it and hope I don't fall asleep coming back up tomorrow night.

Of all the things advertised for the 2 shows, what do you think you're excited for most?

Just now, Infinit said:

Of all the things advertised for the 2 shows, what do you think you're excited for most?

Man, that's almost not fair.  The instinctual answer is "ALL OF THEM!"  But as of right now I'm saying Danielson/Omega.

• Like 1