DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

I will say if Cody really has closed the door on being a heel as some sort of moral stand (or more cynically, thinking about how Cena's good guy image helped him break into Hollywood) then he's not nearly as brilliant a wrestling mind as I give him credit for. I generally take most of Cody's comments as working but man if that's his call then he's leaving money and programs on the table.  

Knowing how much Cody's looked up to Cena, it wouldn't shock me if he's been chasing that sweet spot mixed reaction with overheated emotions. Whatever his ambitions outside of wrestling are, I do think it's fun to consider the push and pull between whether Cody's the shrewdest guy going or a guy who's way too high on his own supply. Probably somewhere well in the middle, but I love thinking about it.

Here's a full transcript of the BR AMA:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10012827-cody-brandi-rhodes-talk-aews-development-wrestling-mt-rushmore-more-in-br-ama

Note that in the same answer the retirement quote is pulled from, he also describes himself as a "giant" in the industry. Man's walking a razor's edge. Don't go getting Shaq's attention again! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Of all the things advertised for the 2 shows, what do you think you're excited for most?

The folks who'll be there in person for both shows. Live this is shaping up as the show of the year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw the weather and had to verify the dome part so @Peteif you wish you should be good to go.  I'm going to make a day trip out of it and hope I don't fall asleep coming back up tomorrow night.

Tempting, but money is at an absolute premium and I just couldn't make the numbers work. Also not quite feeling the idea of being in a crowd that big during a pandemic, even if they're enforcing the rules.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Yeah I know...I just worded it poorly lol

No worries. I saw the chance to swerve folks on the answer and I took my shot. ?

• Like 3

14 matches on Dark tonight. That's a lot of matches. I've still got MX vs Dusty/Magnum, Riki Choshu, Tatsumi Fujinami, Kengo Kimura, Osamu Kido, Masa Saito vs Timur Zalasov, Wahka Evloev, Victor Zangiev, Vladimir Berkovich, Salman Hashimikov, and El Hijo Del Santo, LA Park, Máscara Sagrada vs Dr. Wagner Jr., El Hijo del Solitario, Súper Parka from 2013 Tijuana to watch for New Footage Friday this week. Definite possibility I don't see Grand Slam for another two weeks. I've only seen the first match of All Out so far.

• Like 1

The only match that matters is Allie Katch’s debut. My conspiracy theory has been for a while that she changed her gimmick based off what MJF told her about what management in AEW thought about the whole wrestling cat thing. Hopefully this works out for her, even though what she’s doing in GCW isn’t really like what she’s doing in other promotions from what I can tell. Not like AEW will let her pull a knife on Big Swole.

Edited by Casey

Speaking to Inside The Ropes, Kingston reflected on the moment.

"I saw him and in my head I'm like, 'I'm on TNT, where I used to watch Nitro, and Sting was a major player in that.' Sting, at one point in time, you could say Sting was WCW. Everyone left except for him. He never left until the company closed doors. When I looked over, I was like, 'this is a trip.' That's why I grabbed him and I said, 'Hey, it's fucking Sting.' I guess he heard that he liked it. Then Mox heard it and came over. The fan that appreciates pro wrestling came out of me. I appreciated the fact that the history; TNT and Sting. Whether people want to believe it or not, history is written by the victors. You have WWE's side, but in all honestly, at one point in time, WCW was the biggest company in America and Sting was part of that. Crow Sting is one of the reasons why. You have to give him credit. It was nuts," he said.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/eddie-kingston-recalls-turning-fan-when-ring-sting

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

The only match that matters is Allie Katch’s debut. My conspiracy theory has been for a while that she changed her gimmick based off what MJF told her about what management in AEW thought about the whole wrestling cat thing. Hopefully this works out for her, even though what she’s doing in GCW isn’t really like what she’s doing in other promotions from what I can tell. Not like AEW will let her pull a knife on Big Swole.

What does management in AEW think about the whole wrestling cat thing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What does management in AEW think about the whole wrestling cat thing. 

I mean it’s just rumors and speculation mostly from what I’ve read but they didn’t like the gimmick and didn’t find it believable. Which I thought was funny since they have Kris Statlander on their roster. Probably more so they just didn’t LIKE it rather than finding it not believable - if that’s even true.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean it’s just rumors and speculation mostly from what I’ve read but they didn’t like the gimmick and didn’t find it believable. Which I thought was funny since they have Kris Statlander on their roster. Probably more so they just didn’t LIKE it rather than finding it not believable - if that’s even true.

They have a character called "The Bunny". I would say that they're pro animal gimmicks lol

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

They have a character called "The Bunny". I would say that they're pro animal gimmicks lol

True, but she’s not a wrestling bunny. Allie Kat meowed and liked tummy rubs and stuff like that. ?

• Haha 1