DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEP 2021

The Natural

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Janela, well... The Sleaze thread was started 17 years ago last week, and was active for like, six or seven months, right? Raven Mack locked it when it reached 100 pages.

Joey Janela is 30 years old, and broke in to wrestling at 14. So if he was reading the thread as it happened, that would be right before he started trying to get into the wrestling business. Maybe it even inspired him.

Jesus Christ, he was bloody Jerseykidd, wasn't he?

That would make me laugh for other reasons.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, DEAN said:

I deleted the sleaze thread. For a myriad of reasons,

I still remember the day DEAN deleted Non-Stick Wrestling, and the wailing and gnashing of teeth from people that occurred.

It was a good day.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

They weren't. At all. I still remember the night I disagreed with someone and got deluged with private messages harassing me about what a horrible person I was.

I don't even remember what the disagreement was about aside from it being extremely inconsequential, but I do remember I stopped posting here for at least a year or two because of it.

Makes me glad I've pretty much been a nobody on these boards for 20 years.   Sucks you had to get all that unwarranted shit.

It's been interesting seeing how this board has grown, and just as importantly, grown up, over the years.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I liked the Non-Stick. It was very weirdo central.

I never went in Non-Stick. At the time, I wasn't watching much Wrestling, because I was very much in full-time Dad mode (and my kid never liked Wrestling). So I never saw what it was like in there. But every now and then, someone who, from viewing the other bits of the board, I'd assumed was a mostly normal, friendly rational person would suddenly get banned. Why? The Curse of Non-Stick Wrestling.

I remember finding this board looking for New Jack CAW formulas for SD2! on the PS1. I, too, have been a nobody on the board for, like, 20 years now. It's weird to have been here just before the Sleaze Thread and to still be here now; all the reckonings in the pro wrestling community have had a big net-positive impact.

AEW-wise, I love the dream match formula they've really leaned into over the past year or so. I don't think it's a coincidence this aligns with Cody's tv and paternity leaves.

Apologies if I have just missed him on the B-shows or if this has been covered, but is everything good with Jake Roberts? I haven't seen him (that I can recall) since his interview with DDP and a Dark appearance in July. 

Also, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I came over to this board from RSPW (if you want to talk wild west) more years ago than I would like to recall, had some nice interactions, had to start a new account seven years ago (lost the original...not banned, just disappeared). Some of the names mentioned when discussing Non-stick and the sleaze thread provided me with immeasurable entertainment, despite their overall divisiveness. There is a place for all voices though, even if some of them just help you confirm that both Darwin and PT Barnum were right. 

2 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Edit: I think Thunder Rosa is mis-cast as a face. She is so vicious.

She uses a lot of high impact offense, but she still has her babyface spots where she tries to rally the crowd when transitioning to offense.  I've seen her work heel in NWA matches.   She knows how to earn the crowd's hate.

I think the closest she's come to working heel in AEW was the Texas dog whoopin' she gave to Julia Hart on Elevation about a month ago.

You know what's something I like that AEW has? All that space at ringside. For some reason, I really like giving the performers some extra room outside near where the announcers would normally be. Reminds me of a AAA event I watched. Not sure if that's something they normally have, but yeah.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

You know what's something I like that AEW has? All that space at ringside. For some reason, I really like giving the performers some extra room outside near where the announcers would normally be. Reminds me of a AAA event I watched. Not sure if that's something they normally have, but yeah.

It's the best of both worlds, because they still have the timekeepers table to put each other through

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I think Eddie Kingston is just head and shoulders above everyone else promo-wise right now.  Wow.

I've got goosebumps. 

I'm at least 85% sure that the "Thank you for comming to Japan. Please come back" was from when Kingston, Fire Ant, and Green Ant came to Osaka pro in September of 2011. The Kenji who signed it is presumably my very good friend the Osaka Pro super-fan, and Keigo is presumably Keigo Yoshino, Osaka Pro referee and announcer who was also in charge of bringing in and taking care of foreign talent. If so, I believe I had a small hand in making that (I was sometimes asked to help with/proofread English language stuff. Me: You spelled "coming" wrong. Them: OK). Oh boy did we ever love Eddie Kingston. A whole bunch of Chikara guys came over in October 2010 and they were so obviously delighted to be there that heels often tossed us a nod and a wink when they were heeling it up. Not Eddie. He never cracked a smile. We booed him like crazy, relentlessly. He frequently teamed up with my good friend Kuuga, and Kenji and Kae and I would scream at them and they would yell at us and flip us off. 

"Please come back" was meant with 100% sincerity, if indeed that was my friend Kenji who signed it. It warms my heart to see that in the video and imagine it still has some meaning for Kingston.

I can't find any pics from that tour at the moment, but I do have some from the 2010 Chikara tour, specifically the Haloween party/show.

33483_492622250357_4825164_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Kae (the goat), Dasher (who is working AEW this week!) and Kenji

33668_492622280357_2132063_n.jpg?_nc_cat

Stigma, me, and Vin. UnStable!

EDIT: I just got confirmation (from Kae) that it was definitely us who wrote that letter. She remembers him being moved when they gave it to him. Also, that's my boy Mihara that Kingston is suplexing in the Japanese magazine at 1:00!

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Man, all this talk about the sleaze thread and the non-stick section is taking me back.  It's also a really fitting that it's this time being discussed in the AEW thread where a former member is about to have their biggest week.  It's pretty wild, man.  And knowing that was indeed THE Krone Meltzer from way back when makes me feel incredibly old.

As for the Owen announcement I had a feeling this would happen and really happy.  For all that is said about Jericho I sense that he had a hand in this especially during the Dark Side process.  But without knowing for sure that's just speculation.  But what they've done for Brodie really did show how much they care for not just the people they have but the legacy they leave behind.  So I'm really excited to see how things play out for the Owen-related plans.  I don't need to say it but they really do have some good eggs over there.

• Like 2