DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

17 minutes ago, Dewar said:

They really need to stop making their referees look like idiots (more on this later). Stunt is not in the match, interferes right in front of the ref, and no disqualification. Terrible. 

They managed to make their one referee who didn't look like a moron previously look like a moron here by refusing to remove wrestlers from the ring after a tag. Announcers tried to cover for her by saying she was applying a slower count, but there was no count at all. I'm turning into Jim Cornette complaining about their shitty refs, but they keep being shitty.

Contributing to the problem is JR constantly harping on the ten count. Like yeah, sure, but you know most of these teams aren't going to follow the rules the way you want them to. So in beating that drum aggressively, he's just priming viewers to notice these glaring holes and see the officials in a negative light.

If Tony or the Bucks or whoever want to sit the tag teams down and suggest they more strictly adhere to the rules, that's one thing. But JR kvetching on air isn't going to will into existence a different style of AEW tag wrestling. It only serves to shine a light on what he sees as flaws, and he should know better.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 5

That's funny because I watched the Thunderdome match with Sting/Flair vs. Funk/Muta yesterday and Jim brought up how the match started as Australian Rules and switched into a Tornado Tag.  Just noting it, not complaining. Maybe he needs to go back and watch his old stuff. 

22 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Contributing to the problem is JR constantly harping on the ten count. Like yeah, sure, but you know most of these teams aren't going to follow the rules the way you want them to. So in beating that drum aggressively, he's just priming viewers to notice these glaring holes and see the officials in a negative light.

If Tony or the Bucks or whoever want to sit the tag teams down and suggest they more strictly adhere to the rules, that's one thing. But JR kvetching on air isn't going to will into existence a different style of AEW tag wrestling. It only serves to shine a light on what he sees as flaws, and he should know better.

It's reminds me of how JR harped on their needing to be two referees (I think it was JR...maybe it was Gorilla Monsoon...) for tag team matches every time the heel teams cheat and, as a viewer, I thought "Hey, that's right! They should do that!" and it's not until I got a little older that I went "Well no it wouldn't work because it would cut out all the heels offence" but by talking about it over and over, they condition their viewers to expect it and when they don't do it, it makes the whole thing look dumb.

Edited by caley
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's funny because I watched the Thunderdome match with Sting/Flair vs. Funk/Muta yesterday and Jim brought up how the match started as Australian Rules and switched into a Tornado Tag.  Just noting it, not complaining. Maybe he needs to go back and watch his old stuff. 

I think during that one though the guys decided to call an audible since it made no sense to have a traditional tag team within something that was suppose to be chaotic gimmick match.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, caley said:

It's kind of like how JR harped on their needing to be two referees (I think it was JR...maybe it was Gorilla Monsoon...) for tag team matches every time the heel teams cheat and, as a viewer, I thought "Hey, that's right! They should do that!" and it's not until I got a little older that I went "Well no it wouldn't work because it would cut out all the heels offence" but by talking about it over and over, they condition their viewers to expect it and when they don't do it, it makes the whole thing look dumb.

I'm happy to accept that line from a commentator because it's usually in the kayfabe context of heels gaming the system and exploiting loopholes, which is fine. It's baked into how some tag matches work. I think there's a long walk from there to Jim stopping just short of throwing his hands up in exacerbation and saying "These fucking kids! Am I the only one who understands how this shit is supposed to work?!" 

I suggested maybe someone sit the tag teams down and lay down some expectations regarding the rules. Alternatively, I wouldn't be against someone sitting Jim down and telling him to get with the program. Because the commentary and the tag matches are often working at cross-purposes. I know everyone loves performers having freedom and not being too rigidly produced. But if things are too loose, we end up with situations like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I'm happy to accept that line from a commentator because it's usually in the kayfabe context of heels gaming the system and exploiting loopholes, which is fine. It's baked into how some tag matches work. I think there's a long walk from there to Jim stopping just short of throwing his hands up in exacerbation and saying "These fucking kids! Am I the only one who understands how this shit is supposed to work?!" 

I suggested maybe someone sit the tag teams down and lay down some expectations regarding the rules. Alternatively, I wouldn't be against someone sitting Jim down and telling him to get with the program. Because the commentary and the tag matches are often working at cross-purposes. I know everyone loves performers having freedom and not being too rigidly produced. But if things are too loose, we end up with situations like this.

Jericho supposedly already did that, especially Penta/Fenix and talked about it online, as well.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, caley said:

Jericho supposedly already did that, especially Penta/Fenix and talked about it online, as well.

I'd heard that. But it doesn't seem to have smoothed over the issues being brought up here. And it certainly doesn't seem to have created a change in behaviour that'll keep JR from being a crank during tag matches. Of course I'm probably fighting a losing battle thinking there's a way to stop JR from being a crank. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I'd heard that. But it doesn't seem to have smoothed over the issues being brought up here. And it certainly doesn't seem to have created a change in behaviour that'll keep JR from being a crank during tag matches. Of course I'm probably fighting a losing battle thinking there's a way to stop JR from being a crank. 

At the time Jericho had the talk things improved for like two weeks, but then they went back to the way they are now.

As far as JR goes the only way to stop him from being a crank is to get him removed from the booth. Which wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. I don’t understand any company’s obsession with three announcers. Growing up I was used to seeing announce teams of only two people until Bischoff had the brilliant (read as terrible) idea of having himself, The Brain, and Mongo do Nitro. I think all shows should only have two commentators, and in most cases it’s easy to choose who would be cut (Byron on Raw, Beth on NXT, and JR on AEW). 

• Like 2

Tag matches are nowhere near what they used to be. Seriously. Go back and watch some of those early tag matches. They were a fucking mess. After Jericho bitched out the tag division, Penta and Fenix in particular, things did get better and it has stayed pretty tolerable for the most part. There's still some dangling issues here and there, but it's still better than the ECW style tag match things used to be.

I don't mind the subtitles on Shida, yes, her accent isn't that bad, but people would subtitle people like the Gallagher bros, ozzy and Keith richards too.

Mjf looked like he was trying to temp me into his stall at a bazaar in morroco in that ring robe.

Jericho was fun, but he was yelling like he's the one whose head had the bell rung on it at the stampede.

Love trent's mom driving them in.

I guess this time was better, but in the midst of a pandemic dont try to get heel heat for someone doing the right thing by not exposing everyone.  

They should have a contest to see who can put the cody tattoos in a worst spot.

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

At the time Jericho had the talk things improved for like two weeks, but then they went back to the way they are now.

As far as JR goes the only way to stop him from being a crank is to get him removed from the booth. Which wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. I don’t understand any company’s obsession with three announcers. Growing up I was used to seeing announce teams of only two people until Bischoff had the brilliant (read as terrible) idea of having himself, The Brain, and Mongo do Nitro. I think all shows should only have two commentators, and in most cases it’s easy to choose who would be cut (Byron on Raw, Beth on NXT, and JR on AEW). 

I find the three man booth on commentary to be super-distracting. A third is acceptable when it's a guest announcer or someone building heat for a match, otherwise it's just a lot of noise. I associate JR with most of my fondest wrestling memories of the past but every time I watch AEW he comes off as the weakest link.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, StevieNippz said:

I find the three man booth on commentary to be super-distracting. A third is acceptable when it's a guest announcer or someone building heat for a match, otherwise it's just a lot of noise. I associate JR with most of my fondest wrestling memories of the past but every time I watch AEW he comes off as the weakest link.

I couldn’t agree more with you. Growing up I thought JR was great (of course I was more of a NWA/WCW fan too so that was part of it), and even during the attitude era I really liked him. But now it’s like listening to someone that’s old, and out of touch. I would’ve never guessed in a million years I’d enjoy Tony more than JR. But by the same token I’d admit Tony is my favorite AEW announcer, and I really liked the weeks it was just him and Le Champion together. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Chuck Taylor literally chose to hug his friend instead of attempting a pinfall to win a world title. When they break up Best Friends eventually, that needs to be point #1 in Trent's heel promo.

I feel like commentary could have made a better job of telling that Best Friends very well could have won in this moment but they chose to hug it out. Make them look strong by telling you they pretty much had the champions beat. Make them look foolish by hugging it out, but you put over their gimmick at the same time. Hangman once again got the pinfall in the end, he mostly seems to be the better part of the team ever since he won the titles beeing basically on his own for the last few minutes on the cruise match and Omega nearly cost them the title because he couldn't his his finisher. This was potentially such a great little storytelling moment for all four people involved in this match.

Speaking of cosplay tributes, was Penelope Ford supposed to be Sindel? Blame it on my monitor but I can't tell if her hair is white or light purple and I'd imagine it might be white if she's going for the Sindel look

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Speaking of cosplay tributes, was Penelope Ford supposed to be Sindel? Blame it on my monitor but I can't tell if her hair is white or light purple and I'd imagine it might be white if she's going for the Sindel look

You're not alone. I thought that too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrKothoga said:

I feel like commentary could have made a better job of telling that Best Friends very well could have won in this moment but they chose to hug it out. Make them look strong by telling you they pretty much had the champions beat. Make them look foolish by hugging it out, but you put over their gimmick at the same time. Hangman once again got the pinfall in the end, he mostly seems to be the better part of the team ever since he won the titles beeing basically on his own for the last few minutes on the cruise match and Omega nearly cost them the title because he couldn't his his finisher. This was potentially such a great little storytelling moment for all four people involved in this match.

Uh, sir, friendship is the most important championship there is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

La-la-loved this show. 

The tag opener was fantastic!  Luchasaurus and Wardlow have looked their best now two weeks in a row.  Jungle Jack is such an impressive performer.  They could rocket him to the top and it wouldn't be a bad move.  Not saying they will or should, but it feels like they could.  Friedman looked good here too, but can we call a goddamned moratorium on adrenaline counters or whatever you call it.  Luchasaurus kills him with a powerbomb and he's hurt but he has ah-drenaline to counter with a kick?  Anyway, I'm well aware it happens a lot, but I really wish it didn't.  Seems like the consensus is Wardlow is gonna be huge.  I can't help but agree.  

I skimmed Shida-Ford.  Looked pretty solid, but I'm a bit tired of the Sabian-Ford routine.  Ford's gonna be good, for sure.  I really really hope they bring in Blanchard.  

I really liked Cody-Hager.  I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but I've started to kinda dig Hager.  I loved his poem during the IC pep rally.  I also loved his segment with Hangman during the Stadium Stampede match.  I dunno, just digging him.  From reading around here, I think this was kinda underrated.  I really liked the finish, tho it seemed slightly askew.  I liked the Dustin run-in and all the shenanigans.  I wouldn't usually, but here it worked for me.  Hager knocking out the ref felt like it actually mattered which is a kudos to the steady booking of the promotion thus far.  They haven't always helped their refs to not look like idiots, but they're at least in charge enough that it's completely wrong to hit one deliberately.    

I also still don't get the longing for a Cody heel turn.  I'm digging this title run.  He's had fun matches and segments throughout.  Keep it going full throttle.  Steady characters.  No flip flopping heel babyface turns, thank you very much!  

Santana/Ortiz-PP was pretty good too.  PP wasn't so great or anything, but I think this match showed some significant improvement.  I like Hardy with these two.  It's the right spot on the card for him.  Maybe they could protect him a little in 6 man tags saving him from hobbling around in singles.  I agree that Santana and Ortiz have lost direction, but as good as they can be they need to reel in their bad habits.  They do some funny stuff and then they do some really stoopid stuff.  Whatever the direction they're still players and can still be turnt up.  

Taz promo was a highlight.  I'm so pleased to see the resurrection of Taz.  He was such an extraordinary character pre-WWF.  I don't mean to blow this out of porportion, but, to me, this is one of the best comebacks in a long long time.  And Cage is certainly benfitting from all this.  Tho, impressive as he is, he needs to seriously improve his camera presence.      

I too loved the Best Friends entrance.  That was most definitely the best car pull-up entrance AEW has done.  The Besties looked good here.  Very focused.  Taylor's scoop piledriver is unreal.  That should really be a finisher.  Omega and Page are two of the biggest reasons to tune into Dynamite and they didn't disappoint.  I wonder how the Omega-FTR confrontation would have sounded with a bigger crowd?  I love the tease of Page/FTR-Omega/Bucks.  

Lastly, Chris Jericho on commentary is my favorite thing in wrestling 2020.  And this feud with OC has thus far been terrific.  AEW is certainly not without its flaws, but there is some really good booking going on here.  And I cannot wait for the day when the Death Triangle reforms.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

In the video package for the tag title match, Trent and Chuck said that they hug because it makes them strong.

At the point in the match where they hugged last night, Trent had just taken a beating was kinda on the ropes.  I think the psychology was that Chuck was hugging him to give him his second wind.  They didn’t do the big build-up or anything.  Chuck just grabbed hold of him, and they kinda fired up off of that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2