DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

On tap for Night 1

• For the AEW TNT Championship: Cody Rhodes vs. Jake Hager
  • For the AEW World Tag Team Championship - Kenny Omega & Hangman Page (c) vs. The Best Friends
  • For the AEW Women's World Championship - Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Penelope Ford
  • Jurassic Express vs. MJF and Wardlow
  • Private Party vs. Santana & Ortiz

Night 2 features:

• For the AEW Championship - Jon Moxley (c) vs. Brian Cage
  • Chris Jericho vs. Orange Cassidy
  • Lance Archer vs. Joey Janela
  • Nyla Rose vs. ?
  • Colt Cabana & The Dark Order vs. SoCal Uncensored
  • FTR & The Young Bucks vs. The Butcher, The Blade, & The Lucha Brothers

I hope this is the wave of the future and Fyter Fest becomes something similar to Clash of the Champions with PPV quality matches on free television.

Breaking it up over two nights is also welcomed.  Two hour blocks will probably feel less tedious and filler stuffed than a four hour ordeal.

For the AEW TNT Championship: Cody Rhodes vs. Jake Hager

I'm really meh on both guys.  If this is kept to the undercard instead of being the main, and kept shorter, it'll be okay.  I hope Cody isn't going through an early 2000s HHH phase where he has a belt he thinks he needs to elevate and feels he needs to be old school and have long matches to prove he he's legit.  I don't need to see HHH vs Steiner again here.

- For the AEW World Tag Team Championship - Kenny Omega & Hangman Page (c) vs. The Best Friends

Should be a really fun match, right up my alley as a dude who likes crazy tag scrambles. 

- For the AEW Women's World Championship - Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Penelope Ford

Great booking leading to this and Ford has been improving.  Should be a good one.

- Jurassic Express vs. MJF and Wardlow

I don't think much of Luchasaurus' Mike Bailey/Stan Lane offense, which is so out of place for a big guy.  Likewise, MJF to me is better as a character worker than actual in-ring and hasn't shown me a lot so far outside his old school heel tribute act.  Luckily Wardlow and Jungle Boy are both pretty good.  I guess I'm looking forward to this match?  Could be decent, could be ugly.

- Private Party vs. Santana & Ortiz

Two teams that trained together, sure, but their last match wasn't great.  I hope they're more on the same page in this one.

It'll be fun to see which match gets to be the main.  I think it should be the tag for various reasons, but we'll see.

Pants-Free JR Watch (tm @Hayabusa)  :  Who will cause good ol JR to get turgid this week?  Trent?  Wardlow?  Latino Matinee Idol Santana?  The world is watching.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

If this is all booked for night 1 - whats left for night 2?

Lance Archer vs Joey Janela
Brodie Lee & Colt Cabana vs SCU
Chris Jericho vs Orange Cassidy
FTR & Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros & Butcher & Blade
Jon Moxley vs Brian Cage (AEW World Title)

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020
1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Also, NYLA ROSE IS IN ACTION. AND SHE HAS A SURPRISE OR SOMETHING. 

She has a “surprise” opponent that Tony Khan won’t shut up about in media interviews. So basically it needs to be either Thunder Rosa or Tessa unless they want to piss off 99% of their fan base. My personal guess is it ends up being Tenille Dashwood. 

1 minute ago, MavsFan77 said:

She has a “surprise” opponent that Tony Khan won’t shut up about in media interviews. So basically it needs to be either Thunder Rosa or Tessa unless they want to piss off 99% of their fan base. My personal guess is it ends up being Tenille Dashwood. 

Nah, it will be probably be someone with a WCW connection.  Can  Aysa still go?

Whatever Happened to WCW's Asya? | Ring the Damn Bell\

• Haha 1

I'm still of the opinion the women's division needs 2-4 good-to-great wrestlers to help the projects grow in quality. Shida is good and given an opponent that can go, really good, but she's not a super worker and has some bad looking offense of her own. I love her Harry Potter accent but she's not going to be the one out there driving angles either. I've only seen a bit of Thunder Rosa in NWA but she has looked a completely different wrestler since Lucha Underground, where she showed tremendous personality but was not good, like at all in the ring even in a heavily edited environment. Tessa, I've said it before, I think she's the best American or Canadian women's wrestler I've seen in the modern age but has a personality that is equivalent to Thunder Rosa's in-ring ability back in LU. They've established themselves as the politically progressive wrestling company. I don't see how they could sign off on her coming in without extensive sensitivity training as part of the contract. Tully shouldn't have to babysit his grown-ass woman daughter and that's not fair.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm still of the opinion the women's division needs 2-4 good-to-great wrestlers to help the projects grow in quality. Shida is good and given an opponent that can go, really good, but she's not a super worker and has some bad looking offense of her own. I love her Harry Potter accent but she's not going to be the one out there driving angles either. I've only seen a bit of Thunder Rosa in NWA but she has looked a completely different wrestler since Lucha Underground, where she showed tremendous personality but was not good, like at all in the ring even in a heavily edited environment. Tessa, I've said it before, I think she's the best American or Canadian women's wrestler I've seen in the modern age but has a personality that is equivalent to Thunder Rosa's in-ring ability back in LU. They've established themselves as the politically progressive wrestling company. I don't see how they could sign off on her coming in without extensive sensitivity training as part of the contract. Tully shouldn't have to babysit his grown-ass woman daughter and that's not fair.

You have a general opinion I highly agree with, but if (big if) add Tessa who are the other 1-3 good-great female wrestlers they could realistically get by let’s say the end of 2021 even? I know Taya will be a free agent in that time frame, but I don’t see any way she’s not headed to WWE, and none of Vince’s female talent other than Kairi are rumored to have expiring deals. 

In a perfect world I’d say getting either Toni Storm or Kay Lee Ray would help immensely, but with everything going on in the world, and the fact they’re both seemingly treated well I think the chances of getting either would be about one in a billion.

Thats why I suggested Thunder Rosa earlier. I don’t think she’s the best in ring, but she’s improved a lot since Lucha Underground ended, and I think they could get something out of her. 

There's always the possibility that Nyla's opponent is someone who is already on the roster and just hasn't been around lately, like Riho or Aja Kong.

Trump only travel banned Europe and the UK, not Japan.

Have any of you noticed Spears is not a part of any match or announced segment in part 1 or 2?

Its because Tully and Spears will make their presence known when Nyla Rose “in action” goes against Tesse Blanchard on July 8th.

All the bread crumbs....the Shadow always knows...

Edited by Flair’s Shadow
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flair’s Shadow said:

Have any of you noticed Spears is not a part of any match or announced segment in part 1 or 2?

Its because Tully and Spears will make their presence known when Nyla Rose “in action” goes against Tesse Blanchard on July 8th.

All the bread crumbs....the Shadow always knows...

Tessa is stuck in Mexico, and Nyla is on tonight’s episode both the 8th. But nice try Shadow. ?

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Is Flair's Shadow trying to spell Tesseract or Tessa? This is a consistent misspelling now.

Pretty sure Flairs Shadow is trying to spell Tesseract thinking she was named after the most powerful object in the MCU. 

But hey his posts, and the fact he’s made less correct AEW predictions than I have so far makes me laugh. At least I can always fall back on the fact I got Mr. Brodie Lee right on the night he debuted. 

1. If it really was Aja Kong, which it won't be, we would all collectively become turgid (what a word for an erection... using that one is new to me)

2. I want David Flair in AEW now, just to get beat up by Cage and Archer

EDIT: Hey David Flair is a cop these days. Now I want him to get beat up even more.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1