DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dude David Arquette is still wrestling, just slot him in there. 

It just struck me that Luchasaurus wrestles like a slow-motion Rob Van Dam. That is not a compliment. 

Jake cracking up over Janela not being able to get his shirt off is priceless. 

I'm on torn on L-Saurus.  Some of his stuff is so unique for a big guy that I am super into it (I remember him turning up on ROH and upstaging one of their top guys before disappearing from the show); the other half looks, just like Curt said, like slow-motion RVD.  He is a guy who could use something like the WWE PC (which won't happen, because he created the Luchasaurus character as a response to his disappointment with the WWE PC, after leaving his deal) to smooth out the wrinkles and accentuate the positives.  I'd like to say he should be working with Dustin, but then he'd probably end up adding a Canadian Destoyer and MORE dives!

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I do like that we all quietly agree Impact sucks so much that none of us consider it a viable alternative for them to stay there. They had a great run there, but they couldn’t afford to keep them once it was clear there would be real interest elsewhere. 

I actually did think they would have benefited by the rumored Anderson/Gallows deal which will allow them to work Impact! and NJPW.

I dug night one. Jerichos jacket rocked all kinds of socks off. The matches were all really good I did think The Tag Title Match stole the show. Omega and Page are so great as a team I’m gonna be sad when they lose the belts to FTR.

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Eb4c22wXkAA39dP?format=jpg&name=small

I popped huge for the shirt. I have found myself getting rid of a lot of my wrestling shirts lately, but that one might find its way into my closet.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 3

Jericho was on fire with some of his lines tonight. He had one about Godzilla and Mothra that had me cracking up during the opener. 

Top to bottom I thought this was a pretty good show. But it really got hampered by not being on BR Live like last year. I'm sure a couple of those matches would have gone a little longer if there wasn't the constraint of television time. 

The title matches are all really good. I really liked Shida vs. Ford. I never got Ford's appeal at least as a wrestler, but she did pretty good tonight. Pissed off Hikaru is the best though.

Cody is firmly becoming his dad of the mid 80's. Can't be World Champion, so I'll be World Television Champion. Not that its bad, but if he's gonna do that he desperately needs his own Tully Blanchard to steal the title so he has to chase it.

I was pulling for The Best Friends to win. I mean that entrance with Trent's mom. It was amazing. I think this match would have gone an extra 15 minutes if it were on a PPV. 

Can't wait for Cassidy vs. Jericho next week. 

I fucking love the Best Friends. Nearly every week I'm stoked to see Trent and Chuck tearing it up on the national stage. I'm not mad they lost, I get why they did, and I hope they get a tag title run at some point.

Shida is also so fucking good. I don't care if Riho never returns.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There's a post earlier in the thread that they have a number of co-main style folk & minimal main. Would probably go along with that. Move Hangman & Omega up though as singles and it goes a long way to remedying that .. Jericho, Moxley around .. couple more choice elevations and it starts to look pretty strong. A set of 6-8 leading singles should be enough. Wardlaw / MJF honestly can't be too far off either.

Echo the sentiments re: Private Party. As with So Cal Uncensored, as with Natural Nightmares, they just take up space. Unnecessary distraction from other more significant talent in the company, especially in tag-division. Less is more.

It’s funny they subtitled the well spoken English from Shida in her video package yet I still can’t understand anything Private Party says.

Btw the women’s title match rocked, it’s great when THE best wrestler in a division is the champion, it just feels right.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

I was getting pretty annoyed by how much Santana was fidgeting with his headband, trying to keep it on.  It was really distracting.  I was like, just throw it away!  Then the finish happened.

• Like 1

Makes sense Pillman would venture out as he believes Covid is a hoax, right?

I missed mosed of the Jurassic vs MJF & Wardlow match because mother fucking Fubo dropped the Warner Media networks and didn't tell anybody, so I spent the first 10 minutes of the show cancelling them and signing up for Sling.  Fuck you Fubo.  What I saw of it looked good.  Jurassic needed the win more so that's cool, and I really like the ongoing gimmick of MJF being a rich prick who looks down on Wardlow but at the same time realizes he needs him, but the mask slips once in a while.  Pretty pretty good.

Shida and Penelope was really great.  Digging Penelope's Sindel cosplay and she's really come into her own as a worker.  Bad commentary alert: when your wrestlers are exchanging slaps, maybe don't compare it to a 3 Stooges movie, JR.  Nice job by Jericho and Excalibur trying to save it after that bullshit.

I ask again, is Cody turning heel sometime or does he really believe his act is a babyface act?  I know Hager attacked Anderson first but still, babyfaces are not supposed to have managers who interfere on their behalf.  Decent match, but ANOTHER finish where a Cody opponent pins himself?  AND the oppoenent is a decorated amateur wrestler, and the first thing he was taught ever was "don't get on your back."  Get the fuck outta here with that shit.   Whoever said Cody is turning into late 80s Dusty, that goes for the good and the bad.

I'm done with backwards flying cutter moves.  They're all shit.

Why is Cody's pyro so over the top?  Jesus.  Either he's the 2001 HHH of AEW or this is some real meta booking shit going on.

Re: Cody temporary tattoos.  "YOU CAN PUT IT ON YOUR ASS, SCHIAVONE!"  I legit LOL'd.

Loved Suge D gently restraining Orange Cassidy.

PP & PandP have a better match than their first one but I honestly don't remember much about it.

Awesome tag match and glad it was the main.  Damn.  LOVED Best Friends' piss taking all the dudes with badass trucks with Trent's mom dropping them off.  Excalibur drops the Men of Low Moral Fiber reference I was waiting for.

I figured Cage/Mox would be postponed.  Enjoyed Taz mentioning that they run a clean operation.  Fuck you Vince.  Taz turning his "move analysis" segment into shit-talking how Mox can't hit his move because Cage's traps are too big was tremendous.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

Scribbled some thoughts as I watched this morning. A lot of this has been said already, so tried to hand out the likes where I saw them as I read before posting. 

That opener was fun. Was it perfectly executed? No! But Jungle Boy brought the fire, MJF brought the hateability and the 2 big bulls were slapping meat. Jericho was on fire on comms, "you know why I call him Godzilla? Because he likes Japanese movies you idiot!" plus his perfect Spanish!

Enjoyed Shia-Ford more than I expected. Some good od stuff in that match. The bend over backwards to avoid the drop kick was very well timed. Sabian makes a good stooge, and sold the shots from Shida well.

Cody-Hager didn't do it for me. Cosy works best in an epic with a storyline to match and this just didn't grab me. Maybe because I find hager dull, maybe because Arn on the outside seems wrong for a face, along with the Dustin interference. I dunno. Finish was too cute by half.

Interesting that they're pushing private party, but santana and Ortiz are a bit directionless at the moment. Which is unfortunate because those boys bring it in ring and in their trash talk.

"not afraid to say the S-word on live TV" ha! Shut up about who you think is the alpha male, JR, seriously! Why shit on your own talent like that?? Thought Kenny was heeling it up a bit during the match with the intensity level, could be a misread though. Interesting end with the Bucks and FTR, very clear 3v3 line with Kenny and Page on opposite sides. 

• Like 5

I figured after I typed out that Mox hasn't tested positive that the match would then get postponed. I didn't even think that they were taping night 2 so the match being delayed by a week makes sense. It seems pretty clear Renee is feeling better, but it was probably too late for him to arrange travel to Florida. No big deal.

It's nice that the Khans are donating $1 million to COVID relief and that's the theme for this year's Fight for the Fallen. I'm curious to see what NXT counters with in 2 weeks. Do they promote that NXT as Clash of the Champions? Also, it would be nice if 2021 were better and Fight for the Fallen were for, like, no kill animal shelters or something. Or veteran affairs.

Speaking of animals, I laughed at the weird "puppy bowl" commercial. Weird, but whatever.

Cody vs Hager was good and they're working around Hager's strengths. The angle at the end seems like it was designed to give Hager a reason to be off of TV. He's going to be preparing for his next Belator fight. It's either that or receiving a suspension for the #speakingout stuff or both.

Private Party looked pretty good in their match against Santana and Ortiz. I think the main things that bugged me about that match were Santana's headband playing into the finish and Quen looking gassed not long into the match. If you're not Trent, then you can't expect your headband to not fall off. I expect Santana and Ortiz to go on a run at some point. It's the same thing as the Bucks. It's obvious both teams are going to be champions at some point. It's just not their time to start surging yet.

JR saying that he sees Trent as the alpha male of Best Friends is so fucking obvious. You mean Trent, the dude with the better body, is the guy JR sees as the alpha male? It's all worked commentary so it doesn't mean anything, but it's one of those things I roll my eyes at.

As for Best Friends losing, what I hope doesn't happen is that they start going on some kind of losing streak or wind up relegated to picking up wins on Dark. Keep these guys on TV. Give them more mic time.

I fully expected Omega to give Hangman his beer so Hangman could double fist his beers. What I didn't expect was Hangman and FTR and Omega and the Bucks on opposite sides. Omega and Hangman continues to be one of the best long term stories in wrestling and I'm down to see where it goes next.

• Like 4

Underrated aspect of the opener:  Wardlow kicked out right after 3.  I feel like you hardly ever see that anymore; it’s always either “dude is KO’d” or “dude pops up making surprised face after getting rolled up” and nothing in between.  This made it look like the combined forces of Jurassic Express (and MJF’s ring) just barely kept him down for 3 seconds.

• Like 8

Yeah, that future six man tag they teased will be fucking INSANE. Like motyc insane. Fight for the Fallen? 

I agree with Technico Support that they are doing a money job with the MJF/Wardlow relationship and we are all wrong for excluding Wardlow from future pillar talk when listing Sammy, MJF, Darby, Jungle Boy and now also Starks. Dude is a beautiful jacked super athlete with great presence and a good wrestler already. He's said I think one word on TV so far and it sounded like he's got this massive baritone voice. If they can keep him out of Vince's sweaty palms, he will be a star. I know he'll eventually turn face but how dope would he and Cage be together destroying the tag division for six months? 

Also definitely agree they've given dorks like natural nightmares way too much tv time and it is less a COVID deal, more a Cody deal. There was no reason they were getting heavily featured stuff beyond Dark when Santana and Ortiz were aimless. 

It definitely feels like we are ready for some transitions and they are treading a little bit of water right now. Cody needs to get that shitty horsemen group going and get his ass firmly in the heel camp. This tweener routine is fine but not a formula for long term success. They need to pull the trigger with whatever they are doing with the Elite, and once they do whatever it is they plan on doing with Tyson, I think it's time for Sammy to stab Jericho in the back and Chris to have a super sympathetic babyface run for 8-10 months before concerts are a thing again and he can go away for a while on tour with Fozzy to freshen up (not necessary but it doesn't hurt). They have Jericho and Moxley that feel like super top guys and Omega and Cody a rung under that. Then it's the Bucks and Hangmin Adam. Beyond that they have a glut of guys that can main event shows with the above stars but aren't stars of their own: Brodie, Cage, OC, Death Triangle, the young guys mentioned above are kind of there especially MJF/Wardlow, Sammy, and Darby (who can go away for a long while now tbh and do whatever is necessary for his past actions because this pretending the accusations haven't happened goes against AEW's paper thin ethos of the wrestling company with a conscience, same with Justin Roberts), and Archer. They need to elevate Kenny and Hangman to proper main event status when they split and move a couple of those guys in the glut up a peg. Jericho should probably beat OC and put over the tag champs who he's previously beaten before turning, so you lose one super star and create two. Jericho is a legend and can always maintain heat afterwards while transitioning to a gatekeeper role vs young guys that are there but not quite. Sammy sees him losing one too many big matches after putting over Kenny and Page and stabs him in the back, immediately giving Jericho something to do for six months. Things feel a little stale and they've done a great job of avoiding that so far up to this point while not giving away marquee matches cheaply with no build. But it does feel like it's about time for some big pieces to fall in place. 

Props for them turning Taz from nice guy commentator back into biggest chip on shoulder guy. I still feel like some of his hate and intensity needs to rub off on Cage more but that was such a great fucking choice to pair them up. You've got this athletic freak with one of the most '80s pro wrestling physiques (JR's line about why does he wear a shirt was a good call and also last night's crush of the week) who does all of the moves but with no intensity. Give him a super intense manager. Smart. I had high hopes for them but they've really done well so far. 

Oh and one last thing... With the aforementioned glut of over but not super over guys they have, they really are at a spot where they have all the bodies they need and can build some of them up into super stars. Unless it's a super top name they'd be stupid not to sign on the level of Mox, they really don't need any WWE or NJPW wrestlers at this point. They have a lot of talent they can work with. They are in a position like Liverpool FC where they don't need any sexy signings but to focus on the training pitch and build within in terms of the men's roster. Sure I'd love to see Rusev (short term) and Zayn (long term) there but if they don't end up there it's not the end of the world. If anything, they have too many upper midcard guys. Just need a select few women but they continue to improve what they've got for now and that's fine. Dream world they get Kairi and both Asukas. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2