DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Right now, the Raw and SD champs are Kevin Owens and Bray Wyatt. Has there been a time, during either brand split, when both champions were so far from the perceived Vince McMahon ideal?

XuJFLBw.jpg

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Right now, the Raw and SD champs are Kevin Owens and Bray Wyatt. Has there been a time, during either brand split, when both champions were so far from the perceived Vince McMahon ideal?

wmxxbenoitguerrero-1478103.jpg

I think you guys are missing kafkonia's point.  Styles, Benoit, Bryan, Guerrero, and Punk aren't bodybuilders, but fit perfectly in line with an acceptable Vince McMahon pro-wrestler.  Shortish, stocky/chubby-build guys are much farther from Vince's ideal than any of those listed above.

16 minutes ago, caley said:

I think you guys are missing kafkonia's point.  Styles, Benoit, Bryan, Guerrero, and Punk aren't bodybuilders, but fit perfectly in line with an acceptable Vince McMahon pro-wrestler.  Shortish, stocky/chubby-build guys are much farther from Vince's ideal than any of those listed above.

Exactly. KO and Bray are hefty, shaggy, and (relatively) short. Eddy and Benoit were short, but very heavily muscled. Punk and Bryan are further from our concept of Vince's ideal, but still much closer than Bray or (especially) Owens. Even if this is a moot point come WrestleMania and Brock/Goldberg and Orton walk out of there with the titles, it's still pretty striking.

Of course, if Vince is really going blind, maybe he doesn't realize what his champs look like. :)

10 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

I remember listening to some random podcast interview with Reks once. He was going on and on about some youtube cartoon he had and how the office shut it down because it had a benoit reference or something. Just imagine  how low you are on the wwe totem pole that you make a benoit reference and nobody cares. you don't get fired over it and nobody on the internet even cares about it.

Didn't he freak out on a flight once and cause a big stir?  

3 hours ago, caley said:

yokozuna-lex-luger-feud.jpg

• Like 2

Booker T's loss, that was the one where he had to lay there for 20 seconds and then get pinned after the Pedigree?

That one for sure. Christian getting the title, even for a day, just so him and Edge can both say they were champs was fine for the time.

58 minutes ago, zev said:

Booker T's loss, that was the one where he had to lay there for 20 seconds and then get pinned after the Pedigree?

Yes, Booker T. losing to HHH was much worse, considering how blatantly racist and cringeworthy the angle was. There was no good reason for Booker not to get his retribution on HHH in this angle. I don't care if they were bringing in Goldberg and wanted him winning the title from H. This was one of those times that made it embarrassing to admit you watch wrestling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon-E said:

Looking back, what would you say was worse? Booker T losing to HHH at Wrestlemania 19 or Christian losing the World Heavyweight Title to Randy Orton two days after winning it at Extreme Rules?

How is this even a comparison?  At least Christian got the title back when Randy Orton kicked him in the nuts in a "title changes hands on a DQ" match.  Booker T never got any revenge.  Someone can correct me, but I'm pretty sure Booker is in the same club as Jericho as someone who feuded with HHH but never actually "officially" pinned him.

6 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

How is this even a comparison?  At least Christian got the title back when Randy Orton kicked him in the nuts in a "title changes hands on a DQ" match.  Booker T never got any revenge.  Someone can correct me, but I'm pretty sure Booker is in the same club as Jericho as someone who feuded with HHH but never actually "officially" pinned him.

Booker pinned HHH in a singles match on RAW in 2002. Did Christian ever beat Orton by pinning him in a televised singles match? Nope.  

10 minutes ago, Brandon-E said:

Booker pinned HHH in a singles match on RAW in 2002. Did Christian ever beat Orton by pinning him in a televised singles match? Nope.  

Okay, you got me on that, but in fairness, that was a year before their actual feud and that was back when HHH was a face and losing to everybody (even blading in a pinfall loss to D-Von Dudley.)  Christian at least got his payback with Orton though in a bullshit way (and the fans clearly didn't care.)  I wouldn't say that Booker T got payback on HHH from losing at WMXIX in 2003 because he had beaten him in 2002.   To me Booker T came off as a much bigger loser.