DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

44 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Weird, I sort of liked Otunga but never really saw him as a future star.

Great physique, bright, articulate guy with a famous mainstream gf. How is that not a recipe for success? Simple, be David Otunga and in  seven years fail to improve your ringwork one iota and leave whatever charisma you once had in the drawer that stupid bow-tie came out of. 

11 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Great physique, bright, articulate guy with a famous mainstream gf. How is that not a recipe for success? Simple, be David Otunga and in  seven years fail to improve your ringwork one iota and leave whatever charisma you once had in the drawer that stupid bow-tie came out of. 

Even then, being fair, it should also be mentioned that when they say some guys were "20 years too soon", David Otunga was probably 20 years too LATE to be a huge star.

Put someone like Otunga in 1990, where being a great in-ring worker wasn't as important? He probably ends up a huge star. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OSJ said:

He was never good in the ring, didn't have much charisma, wasn't a great talker, and his famous wife was never going to participate on the show. It was sort of obvious he wasn't going to be big unless his wife got involved.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Found the battle royal. Otunga was real good there with Santino at the end. And he did get his leg caught up in the ropes on his way over the top.

What struck me though was yeah it was five years ago and alot of guys in the battle royal but alot of guys are still employed. There was 25 men in the battle royal. 11 of them (Santino, Tyler Reks, Ted DiBiase, Yoshi Tatsu, Drew McIntyre, Justin Gabriel, Ezekiel Jackson, Alex Riley, Derrick Bateman, Precy Watson and Camacho) are all gone. 12 of the guys (The Uso's, Tyson Kidd, The Shinning Stars, Heath Slater, Darren Young, Titus O'Neal, Hunico, Fandango, Curtis Axel and Otunga) have been on the roster the whole time. And Hawkins and Mahal have been fired and rehired.

Isn't Percy Watson doing something in NXT now? Announcer, backstage interviewer, etc?

I remember Otunga's promo video on the debut NXT show being really good and he came across as a star. Then a minute later he "wrestled" Darren Young and never really recovered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Even then, being fair, it should also be mentioned that when they say some guys were "20 years too soon", David Otunga was probably 20 years too LATE to be a huge star.

Put someone like Otunga in 1990, where being a great in-ring worker wasn't as important? He probably ends up a huge star. 

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Picture Otunga in a stable with Kabuki and some other guys managed by Gary Hart who are limited workers but look awesome (like Al Perez) and he's over in the clover.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Picture Otunga in a stable with Kabuki and some other guys managed by Gary Hart who are limited workers but look awesome (like Al Perez) and he's over in the clover.

And I would argue Otunga ends up exactly like Al Perez. A guy with a good look but lacking the spark to be anything more than a relative footnote during the era he was in.

In the 80s and early 90s Otunga still probably ends up with the same career he had in the current era. Maybe some regional tag team title runs in a bland "Good looking guys" tag team (Al Perez and Wendell Cooley in Mid-South), maybe a title run in a dying territory where he has his hand held by a manager that can talk (Al Perez in World Class), half-hearted low midcard runs when he jumped to a larger pond (Al Perez in Crockett), a jump to the biggest stage that never gets off the ground (Al Perez in WWF), maybe one last shot in an upstart league that shows promise but fades away quickly (Al Perez in GWF) and then quietly disappearing into the ether, MAYBE returning to WCW as a warm body to fill out WCW Saturday Night tapings in 96 and 97.

Looks were more important 25-30 years, but personality was still needed. Bland and boring still never made it to the top of the card. And in the rare occasions it did, promoters and bookers pulled back fairly quickly when it didn't take.

So that would make the list of guys who claim Cena ruined their WWE careers (via "politics") are

Tyler Reks

Kenny Dykstra (though that one might not even count anymore since he was brought back)

Alex Riley

Possibly Ryback (he is a crazy person and weeding through who he does and does not hate on his Podcast is so very draining)

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Admittedly, wasn't he told to stop using a top rope version of Cena's finish and kept doing it anyway?

He was using an inverted AA, a burning hammer set-up into a slam. It was too much like the AA so he was told by someone to stop. Having to change your finisher probably won't derail your career if you have good things to offer but all I remember of Reks was his short lived team with Hawkins toward the end of the never-ending last season of pre-Network NXT and even then I don't remember what he looked like or anything about his in-ring work. So his short used finisher is the only thing I remember about the guy so I guess it might have been all he brought to the table.

I remember listening to some random podcast interview with Reks once. He was going on and on about some youtube cartoon he had and how the office shut it down because it had a benoit reference or something. Just imagine  how low you are on the wwe totem pole that you make a benoit reference and nobody cares. you don't get fired over it and nobody on the internet even cares about it.