DVDVR Message Board

REBOOTED Feb 2017 Wrestling Discussion

RIPPA

6 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Since the question was whether or not Booker ever pinned HHH during feuding with him: Didn't he pin HHH in a Handicap match vs H & Naitch leading up to their Wrestlemania encounter? Again, sketchy memory

Yes but Booker teamed with Goldust on the last RAW before WM19. I think Booker T during his WWE run was treated better than Christian despite being a WCW guy.   

My two big problems with the whole angle were: the way Booker lost at Mania and the fact that it was just over the moment the match ended. At the time it simply seemed as if HHH was only willing to put over friends / make friends look good.

Of course the racial undertones in the beginning were awful, but they heavily tried to backpedal setting focus on Bookers past and the lost value of the WCW championship had when Booker won it. 

I'm a fan of Triple H, he's one of the most natural heels I've ever watched (second to Rick Rude IMO) but yeah, that whole period was an infuriating time with him as champion. I assume they were trying to build prestige of the belt as it had just been unveiled and he was crowned without a match, but the fact he was cosplaying as Flair except his workrate had drastically disappeared and wouldn't return until his matches with HBK in December 03 into January 04 as well as the draining 25min promo every Raw made the whole reign drag.

On the 'only putting friends over' front, I remember the IWC being ultra paranoid the moment Shawn Michaels got inserted into the match versus Benoit at WMXX for this very reason

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Booker T would have been a lame duck champion if he'd got it then, so I never had a problem with Triple H going over in hindsight. And Booker has been on record as saying the race stuff was his idea

Did he say that in an interview? In his book, he made it sound more like it was JR and Vince's idea to "humanize" him. He agreed and went along with it.

What? That's awful!

I don't think it's possible to fully explain how horrible that 2003-ish HHH run was to long-time wrestling fans in the early IWC. In hindsight, some of the hate wasn't justified - I'm not sure if that much hate could ever be - but so much of it was. Those fucking promos, and all of the wins, and then eventually Evolution - it was goddamn horrible.

• Like 2

Man, I feel terrible for Vader.  I heard he was trying to get in shape for a match in Japan soon and was curious if he'd be able to be in decent shape considering his condition.  If he goes in a few days than all that talk about him being in the WWE HOF would've been for nothing as he wouldn't even make it to that.  Very sad news.

Was watching a heap of late 99/early 00 RAWs the other day, no idea why.

Thing about HHH as an all-timer is that he does nothing particularly unique or iconic, just one big (smart) cosplay of the right guys. Arn Anderson moveset, Harley Race methods of getting heat, Ric Flair persona as heel champion, maybe a little Nick Bockwinkel thrown in too.

Annoying as hell to watch him no-sell every out of ring situation. Just makes The Rock look like a chump on a number of occasions, no selling his big lines, snarky comments on his wardrobe etc.Even the stuff with Vince where major plot points happen and he barely reacts to them. You don't buy in to him as he doesn't buy into it either.

• Like 6

Very sad news, it also sounds like we're going to lose Uncle Ivan in a matter of days/weeks. His liver cancer has now metastasized to the blood vessels in his liver, that's about the worst news that you can get.

I saw where Bruce Prichard quoted that Vince didnt see Shawn as a top guy until after WM XI was over but in hindsight I always thought Vince had plans for Shawn to go over on in the main event the next year, I was listening to Between the Sheets Podcast on 1-18 to 1-24 1995 and Meltzer talked about how much over Shawn was to almost everyone and how much better in the ring he is. I know Shawn contributed to the booking at a short period but I want to know was he helping with the booking before Wrestlemania XI or was that around the time he was Pushed to be champ the next year? He was almost CM Punk esque on commentary in 95, I wish he got to be that type of heel during his first initial title reign. He was heel he whole singles run up until the turn after Mania but Vince made him what he forced Roman Reigns to be in 2015 and it hurt him.

This seems interesting... 

Do you know the difference between a Hollywood Backlot Brawl and a Brooklyn Street Fight? What happens at the end of an Iron Man match if there's no clear victor? Which move is off-limits inside a WWE ring? With

The Official WWE Book of Rules…, you'll no longer need to ask. This complete guide to every single style of WWE match-stipulation or otherwise, lays out

9781942556107_p0_v3_s192x300.jpg

• Like 1

Because of a major WWE financials recap, a start of Chavo Sr's obit and lots and lots of MMA news there isn't a ton of interesting updates

TNA having to blur out a ref I mentioned in the Hardys thread

I am putting the NXT finances over in the NXT thread

In January - SDL house shows outdrew Raw house shows so again - Cena is the company's #1 draw and anyone who says otherwise is silly.

The cost of a single episode of RAW or SDL is $1.1 million

Random Star Ratings since you can't help but be outraged

Elimination Chamber - 4 1/2

Bayley/Charlotte - 4 1/4

Elgin/Naito - 5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Because of a major WWE financials recap, a start of Chavo Sr's obit and lots and lots of MMA news there isn't a ton of interesting updates

TNA having to blur out a ref I mentioned in the Hardys thread

I am putting the NXT finances over in the NXT thread

In January - SDL house shows outdrew Raw house shows so again - Cena is the company's #1 draw and anyone who says otherwise is silly.

Random Star Ratings since you can't help but be outraged

Elimination Chamber - 4 1/2

Bayley/Charlotte - 4 1/4

Elgin/Naito - 5

What did Takahashi/Dragon Lee get?

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If that is the case, that probably is as big a blow to the "go back to two hours!" claims people make as possible. If it costs the exact same amount for three hours as it does for two, then there really is no weakness (and if anything, SDL should consider three hours as well.) 

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

If that is the case, that probably is as big a blow to the "go back to two hours!" claims people make as possible. If it costs the exact same amount for three hours as it does for two, then there really is no weakness (and if anything, SDL should consider three hours as well.) 

While financially speaking you're correct, but this came to mind and I love Smackdown:

Image result for michael scott no

• Like 1

No link, but Alvarez and Dave were talking about 38% of teenage girls tuning out for Bayley's win against Charlotte. They were talking about how that's indicative of Bayley not being a hit with a demographic they thought she reached. I'm sitting there thinking that maybe, MAYBE, it's because their match started at 10:50 PM and went past 11 PM and I can't see many pre-teen or teenage girls staying up that late to watch wrestling when there's school the next day.

How about, I don't know, you program to the audience you want to keep or build. Put that fucking match on at 10 PM or something.

• Like 3