Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX


Dolfan in NYC
 Share

Recommended Posts

2nd biggest card of the year in 2 weeks. The lineup so far looks to be:

WWE Universal Championship:  Seth Rollins vs. Finn Bálor

WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

WWE Women's Championship: Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte

WWE Intercontinental Championship: The Miz (c) vs. Apollo Crews

WWE United States Championship: Rusev (c) vs. Roman Reigns

WWE Tag Team Championship: The New Day (c) vs. The Bullet Club

Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton

John Cena vs. AJ Styles, Part 3.  (Loser leaves town?)

 

ALL TITLES DEFENDED~.  Still no KO, Zayn, Cesaro, Jericho, Wyatts, Realest Guys, or American Alpha, though. Even with SS being 4 hours this year, 8 matches announced or planned. It's getting crowded. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Shouldnt Cena vs AJ be a Hair vs Hair match at this point? Or are we at the indentured servant portion?

Might as well, since both are sporting carefully hidden bald spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Second SummerSlam ever to be four hours, may go longer than WrestleMania XXXII.

I'm most interested in Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor for the WWE Universal Championship, the WWE Women's Championship between Sasha Banks and Charlotte, WWE United States Championship with Rusev vs. Roman Reigns and AJ Styles vs, John Cena.

There's more interest in the WWE Universal Championship, a new belt to the WWE Championship with all the history at this show. Wow. As a fan of belts, I really want to see the design.

When Sasha didn't win the WWE Women's Championship at WrestleMania XXXII we thought it would happen at SummerSlam, instead it happened on the first RAW after the WWE Draft 2016. I can see why they did it to make the show memorable. The match was one of the best in the WWE this year, I think they can do better.

Rusev vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE US Championship is the match they should've done before Roman went up to the main event. I hope if Rusev loses, he's better looked after as he wasn't when he lost the WWE US Championship to John Cena at WrestleMania XXXI.

Hopefully Aj Styles vs. John Cena won't have the interference we got in the first time ever match at Money in the Bank 2016. I don't see interference as Big Match John gets his win back. I'm hoping AJ gets the rare clean win on Cena few have ever had. Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar are the first two who did get to beat Cena with no shenanigans.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Shouldnt Cena vs AJ be a Hair vs Hair match at this point? Or are we at the indentured servant portion?

Honestly there was a brief moment last night when I thought they were already doing a LOSER LEAVES SMACKDOWN match based on both the tone of the promos and that Cena needs to take a large chunk of time off again since the FOX reality show he does got a shocking renewal so he needs to be off for at least a month to film it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still feel a little let down they didn't wait until Summer Slam for Sasha's title win. I think they could've used the tv time to play up on their history, and do more character building(which I think Sasha needed). That would've been such a big match if they had built it properly in front of the Brooklyn crowd. They'll still have a good match that the crowd will be into, but it could've been more.  JeriKO vs Cass and Enzo should be a lot of fun, and is more appealing to me than anything The Club does.

Should be a pretty great show, but one of those singles matches needs to be a brawl. I guess Balor/Rollins goes on last even though Orton/Brock is being treated as the biggest match. I could see the crowd getting burnt out by the end. Should be a ton of good matches, and combined with NXT an insanely great weekend for WWE.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After that promo, I briefly fantasy booked a Cena heel turn where it's revealed he doesn't really love Smackdown LIVE and wished he was on Raw, saying the face that runs the place deserves to be on the flagship show.

I then considered the potential heat a heel Cena/Miz tag team could garner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

2nd biggest card of the year in 2 weeks. The lineup so far looks to be:

 

It's an old question but I'd like to ask to all. Do you regard Royal Rumble or SummerSlam as the second biggest PPV of the year? I used to think the Royal Rumble but with the exception of this year's Royal Rumble match, recent Royal Rumble matches have disappointed. I'm starting to think SummerSlam might have taken it's place in my standings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Honestly there was a brief moment last night when I thought they were already doing a LOSER LEAVES SMACKDOWN match based on both the tone of the promos and that Cena needs to take a large chunk of time off again since the FOX reality show he does got a shocking renewal so he needs to be off for at least a month to film it

If Cena is going to miss a whole month, they better make it a bigger stip than than. 30 days is way too long for a simple "loser leaves Smackdown" in WWE.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

ALL TITLES DEFENDED~.  Still no KO, Zayn, Cesaro, Jericho, Wyatts, Realest Guys, or American Alpha, though. Even with SS being 4 hours this year, 8 matches announced or planned. It's getting crowded. 

JeriKO vs. Enzo/Cass will make the main show. I suspect Cesaro/Sheamus will be on the pre-show at least. I'd also bet on a SD 6-woman tag on the pre-show.

Bray and Sami are the big question marks. If Bray isn't shoehorned into the WWE title match, I wouldn't be too surprised if they just did a random inter-promotional multiman tag with those two leading the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

It's an old question but I'd like to ask to all. Do you regard Royal Rumble or SummerSlam as the second biggest PPV of the year? I used to think the Royal Rumble but with the exception of this year's Royal Rumble match, recent Royal Rumble matches have disappointed. I'm starting to think SummerSlam might have taken it's place in my standings.

Summer Slam is the bigger PPV. SS isn't as important as it used to be, when it basically was the culmination of your major post-WM angles, but the Rumble is kinda a one hyped match card which is just setup for WM.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

2nd biggest card of the year in 2 weeks.

Also the second biggest card of that weekend. McGregor vs Diaz 2 is bigger. Hopefully we get another double Irish victory (last year Finn Balor won the NXT title on July 4th, and then Conor McGregor won the interim UFC Featherweight title on July 11th).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This card looks pretty bad to me. Reigns/Rusev looks like it could be great, and Charlotte/Sasha will be good at worst. After that, eh. If I'm home, I'll run it in the background; if not, I'll catch the aforementioned matches and the Crews match on demand. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm not to get into a WWE/UFC thing but I think with the number of subscribers the network has now the viewership might be close?  I don't know. 

This card looks stacked to me.  I think everything on it has a chance to be fun, good or outstanding.  The only issue is time.  They have four hours plus a preshow but I still think some of the matches could get trimmed a few minutes

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Also the second biggest card of that weekend. McGregor vs Diaz 2 is bigger. Hopefully we get another double Irish victory (last year Finn Balor won the NXT title on July 4th, and then Conor McGregor won the interim UFC Featherweight title on July 11th).

Thanks for the reminder about UFC 202.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read don't expect Dolph to win, but man I really hope Nash does show up to complete Dolph's turn into Shawn Michaels from 1994. They have to have that old Heartbreak Hotel set of his in the WWE warehouse. They could dig that out and have use it as his talk show for Smackdown. Hell, I'm pretty sure Shawn still has those chaps in his closet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...