DVDVR Message Board

Summerslam XXIX

Dolfan in NYC

I always associated Summerslam to be the #2 show. The Royal Rumble is the kickoff of the new year and sets up WrestleMania.

I do miss the concept of the King of the Ring. I loved it in the first few years when they actually had a real tournament leading up to the Quarters/Semi's/Final at the KotR.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I read don't expect Dolph to win, but man I really hope Nash does show up to complete Dolph's turn into Shawn Michaels from 1994. They have to have that old Heartbreak Hotel set of his in the WWE warehouse. They could dig that out and have use it as his talk show for Smackdown. Hell, I'm pretty sure Shawn still has those chaps in his closet.

This is why it was stupid to have Baron Corbin feud with Dolph right away as Baron Corbin in the Diesel role to Dolph's HBK would be perfect. I mean they can still get there but it would require a competent writing staff to explain how we get Corbin and Dolph on the same side

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brysynner said:

This is why it was stupid to have Baron Corbin feud with Dolph right away as Baron Corbin in the Diesel role to Dolph's HBK would be perfect. I mean they can still get there but it would require a competent writing staff to explain how we get Corbin and Dolph on the same side

"Money"

Just a thought: now that the brands are split again, this would be the perfect time to do a King of the Ring tournament with both sides battling it out. Or maybe they can just stick that in their back pocket when the Smackdown well runs as dry as it looks like it is right now; Shane and Bryan can announce that they have some ringers and bring up the NXT big dogs.

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

We're likely about to have at least one tournament on Smackdown for their vacant titles soon.

I'm guessing they put the matches to crown the new SD Women's and SD Tag titles on Backlash. SummerSlam already has a big enough draw on it's own, and with Backlash being SD's first solo show post-Draft, they need to stack it with enough high stakes matches to make people want to watch it. I'll guess they will do a final stipulation heavy AJ/Cena match, along with an Ambrose/Dolph rematch with a newly heel turned Dolph, and then the Women's and Tag title matches as the top matches on Backlash

Didn't watch SD this week, went on YouTube and the WWE portion had a 'Batista explains his return to SD on the WWE Network' video. Checked out spoilers and returned to YouTube for more info.

it was from 2014. 

f u WWE, f......... Uuuuuuuuuu.

The problem with the KOTR is, they became obsessed with turning the winner into a literal King gimmick, and it almost always failed or just didn't make sense. THe only person who really pulled it off was Booker. 

I'd say Regal. His power trip after becoming King of the Ring while also being RAW Commissioner was on it's way to being really great. Too bad he was in no place in his personal life to take advantage of that huge push they wanted to give him.

• Like 5

The officially announced that New Day vs. Club for the Tag Titles is official for Summerslam

They made it a point to say it is Kofi and Woods as Big E is "out injured"

Hope y'all enjoyed the New Day run because this is the end of it

19 hours ago, TerjeRUN said:

The problem with the KOTR is, they became obsessed with turning the winner into a literal King gimmick, and it almost always failed or just didn't make sense. THe only person who really pulled it off was Booker. 

KingMabelRIP.jpg

The best things about King Mabel were the six jobbers struggling to bear the royal litter to ringside and the knighting of Sir Mo.

22 hours ago, piranesi said:

It was also a really predictable booking pattern.   When was the last time it wasn't won by a cowardly heel who then proceeded to lose a bunch of matches while cutting mildly funny promos?

Probably Booker, though he only broke the pattern because he won matches by cheating instead of losing outright.

Brock was the best because they didn't even do any crown shit with him that I can remember. He just won easily, then kept on destroying people.

Here's the King of the Ring Winners from after it became a regular PPV in 1993. There have not been as many who have then converted to the full on KING gimmick

1993 - Bret Hart

1994 - Owen Hart

1995 - Mabel

1996 - Steve Austin

1997 - HHH

1998 - Ken Shamrock

1999 - Billy Gunn

2000 - Kurt Angle

2001 - Edge

2002 - Brock Lesnar

2006 - Booker T

2008 - William Regal

2010 - Sheamus

2015 - Wade Barrett

So out of all of those, only 6 fully adopted the King gimmick after the show. Angle did wear the cape and crown for a bit, but mostly for comedic purposes and he never became "King" Kurt Angle or anything like that.

On 8/7/2016 at 4:47 PM, piranesi said:

It was also a really predictable booking pattern.   When was the last time it wasn't won by a cowardly heel who then proceeded to lose a bunch of matches while cutting mildly funny promos?

Edge was just an up and coming competitor hungry to get on top of the singles division. It was just a step for him.

Urgh, the overselling of Finn Balor is telling, but that is the peril of hot shot booking.  He has to win this weekend, no doubt about it.

There is no way you can "debut" the demon gimmick and have him job unless you enjoy the smell of burning stadium seats and rubber tires.