DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just saw The Big Short. I thought it was wonderful. I write a lot about finance so I was curious to see how a lot of complex terms and concepts would get explained to a mainstream audience. I thought they did a really wonderful and entertaining job explaining tranches and CDOs and the like. My wife is allergic to anything involving numbers and/or finance and she was able to follow along really well. Great movie.

Haven't seen it yet, but I am heartened by this. My main issue with Wolf of Wall St is when Belfort starts explaining what he was doing, then cuts himself off and says something along the lines of "...but you don't really care about any of that." Actually, I do. I left the movie without any clue as to what it was that he actually did and what was so wrong about it, other than "Wall St is shady."

For the purposes of The Wolf of Wall Street, Belfort's actions are insignificant. Scorcese really takes some things that really happened and raised them to 11. I don't think his intent was to give an accurate depiction on Belfort as much as it was to make a commentary on the corrupting power of money and the excesses of American life when someone who has a dark side is given that much money.

Speaking of Leo. I was just reading this fun article about The Revenant that I think hits the nail on the head. I am curious to experience the film visually so will probably see it today, but my expectations of it being an enthralling film are quite low.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/28/i-dont-care-how-hard-it-was-to-make-the-revenant

• Like 1

Gotta admit, I didn't like anchorman at all.

I couldn't believe how bad it was when I finally caught it on TV.

I thought the parts featuring the supporting cast and other newsmen were the best bits.  The multi-team gang fight was hilarious, but in general I didn't think it was anything special.  Then again I think that like a lot of SNL alums, Will Farrel is massively unfunny outside of SNL.

Speaking of Leo. I was just reading this fun article about The Revenant that I think hits the nail on the head. I am curious to experience the film visually so will probably see it today, but my expectations of it being an enthralling film are quite low.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/28/i-dont-care-how-hard-it-was-to-make-the-revenant

Visually - the film is stunning - Lubeski will win his 3rd straight Oscar for this.

There's lots to pick at with regards to pacing and the actual story.

Di Caprio is fantastic - with Tom Hardy just a smidge behind him - and he'll be in for some Oscar talk too.

Comedies from after 2000 that I think are actually funny:

Shaun of the Dead

Hot Fuzz

Death at a Funeral (US) at times

I laughed more at Borat than I'd like to admit at this juncture but I can't imagine it'd be nearly as funny in a rewatch outside of the theater experience

Burn After Reading

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

In a World

Robot and Frank

Wes Anderson movies

That's about all I can come up with. Lots of lowest common denominator stoner comedies with overly stupid characters where you shut your brain off on Friday after a long week of work that I just can't get into touted in the last 15 years.

I can't get this down to 10, so here's my 11 fave comedies since 2000

-Anchorman (The first one, not the dreadful second one)

-Hot Rod (So stupid, so good)

-The Other Guys (Just really silly and dumb, while also a terrific parody of action comedies)

-Observe and Report (A dark, dark comedy as well as superb satire of superhero movies/Taxi Driver)

-Four Lions (So British, so insanely funny and so, so dark)

-Walk Hard (This send-up of the musical biopic hits all the right notes...see what I did there?)

-In the Loop (Great British political satire with an incendiary Peter Capaldi performance)

-Idiocracy (Though sometimes it's just frightening, really, how accurate it is)
-Napoleon Dynamite (This is a hate-it-or-love-it movie and I love it.  I love the performances from everyone involved.)
-Hamlet 2 (Completely insane comedy with Steve Coogan as a talentless drama teacher written by a couple South Park contributors)

-Black Dynamite (Silly send-up of blaxploitation films has so many great lines...in fact, after posting this, I'm watching it tonight)

• Like 2

-In the Loop (Great British political satire with an incendiary Peter Capaldi performance)

Thank you for saying it so I didn't have to yell at everyone for not

• Like 1

My comedy tastes lean heavily British so much of what has been mentioned never really did it for me, or were funny in a theatre but don't hold up on a rewatch.

Most of all I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Zoolander. That would be my #1 US comedy of the 2000s easily (It may have been Anchorman at one stage, but the sequel soured me on ever wanting to see those characters again)

• Like 1

I tried watching Superbad once. I think I got 10 minutes. Saw Old School on a plane too and hated that. Also don't think I've seen any other non animated Will Ferrell movies this century except for Stranger than Fiction (which I thought was good) and the Producers (which isn't nearly as good as the original). I like wordplay and rube goldbergian joke set ups and payoffs. I watch a lot of TCM.

I tried watching Superbad once. I think I got 10 minutes. Saw Old School on a plane too and hated that. Also don't think I've seen any other non animated Will Ferrell movies this century except for Stranger than Fiction (which I thought was good) and the Producers (which isn't nearly as good as the original). I like wordplay and rube goldbergian joke set ups and payoffs. I watch a lot of TCM.

Superbad is tough to watch for about 10-15 minutes then gets A LOT better right after that. Still, I won't re-watch it - my tolerance for constant, unnecessary profanity has gone way down.

Allz I knowz iz I've never laughed harder at a movie than watching Superbad in theatres. I watched it last year and while I still find it funny ("big veiny triumphant bastard"), it wasn't quite the same. 40 Year Old Virgin also had me dying when I watched it for the first time and I think a lot of the humor holds up better on rewatch than Superbad. Team America wins though.

I rewatched 'Superbad' a month or two back (After not really re-watching it because I figured most of the laughs were shock-based) and upon a rewatch, was shocked at how funny the first half hour or so it was, but how much less funny it got after all the hijinks ensued.