DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I didn't feel at any point the danger was real, and the tone, to me, was much light hearted and comedic.

It never sold the stakes that the movie might actually kill Damon's character. And every time it threatened to get serious, there was a joke or three to bring it back into safe and fun.

I liked the movie a lot, but it damn sure wasn't a drama.

Is it any different from the Godfather Trilogy from the 90s?

Apparently yes, it's different from any previous cut.

As pointed out already, it's only one and two, so the 77 NBC cut is likely the most similar, but this will be without the broadcast censorship.

It's definitely getting watched soon.

Particularly because that one was also called The Godfather Epic.

(Actually, it appears this is the vhs version of that, in HD. I guess the vhs wasn't censored, my memory is faulty. Which, hey, it's been about 14 or 15 years.)

I didn't feel at any point the danger was real, and the tone, to me, was much light hearted and comedic.

It never sold the stakes that the movie might actually kill Damon's character. And every time it threatened to get serious, there was a joke or three to bring it back into safe and fun.

It's an action movie with a funny screenplay.

Late to the funniest movies since 2000 discussion. Here be mine:

1. Shaun of the Dead

2. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

3. In the Loop

4. Four Lions

5. Hot Fuzz

6. The 40-Year-Old Virgin

7. Zoolander

8. Tropic Thunder

9. Team America: World Police

10. Pineapple Express

Didn’t like Superbad.

• Like 1

It's very true to the book, and the Mark Watney character is a very smart, sometimes slightly douchey guy who tends to relate to people by busting their balls and deals with his situation with a lot of gallows humor.

Just saw The Big Short. I thought it was wonderful. I write a lot about finance so I was curious to see how a lot of complex terms and concepts would get explained to a mainstream audience. I thought they did a really wonderful and entertaining job explaining tranches and CDOs and the like. My wife is allergic to anything involving numbers and/or finance and she was able to follow along really well. Great movie.

Haven't seen it yet, but I am heartened by this. My main issue with Wolf of Wall St is when Belfort starts explaining what he was doing, then cuts himself off and says something along the lines of "...but you don't really care about any of that." Actually, I do. I left the movie without any clue as to what it was that he actually did and what was so wrong about it, other than "Wall St is shady."

For the purposes of The Wolf of Wall Street, Belfort's actions are insignificant. Scorcese really takes some things that really happened and raised them to 11. I don't think his intent was to give an accurate depiction on Belfort as much as it was to make a commentary on the corrupting power of money and the excesses of American life when someone who has a dark side is given that much money.

Speaking of Leo. I was just reading this fun article about The Revenant that I think hits the nail on the head. I am curious to experience the film visually so will probably see it today, but my expectations of it being an enthralling film are quite low.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/28/i-dont-care-how-hard-it-was-to-make-the-revenant

I saw The Revenant yesterday, and my initial impression was that it was a very beautiful movie that was too long, with a lot of story flaws. The article linked above really crystallized my thoughts on the film and many of my problems with it. I also had an issue with how superhuman DiCaprio's character is, while at the same time being very stupid. And for a movie that was supposed to be about cold and suffering (even though it's never really clear how cold it is, since at times there is ice thawing on trees but not on Leo's beard), the only time it really came in to play was so they could have the "shocking" real-life Tauntaun scene.

Much like Birdman, I think it's really overhyped and the more I think about it, the less I like it.

Yuma meets Pace at a stage depot. They are soon joined by passengers on an arriving stage to wait overnight for a stage connection. Among the passengers on the arriving stage are bounty hunter Farnum with his prisoner Cynthia Kenyon who is wanted for murder.

Sound familiar?

Are you seriously suggesting that a Quentin Tarantino movie is barely disguised remake of previous work? That's totally unprecedented and unusual!

Raw thread made me remember how much I love Idiocracy. Shocking fact, I can never successfully pronounce the title twice in a row. I most likely botched spelling it. 

One thing I think people missed in the movie is even smart people in the present are pretty stupid. 

My favorite thing about the future was the layered stupidity of the future. President Camacho was clearly smarter than everyone else and even his advisers were intelligent by standards of the time. 

I find it and Extract much better than Office Space. Which I do enjoy, but can never really get into. 

Has anyone here seen Extract?