DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Caught up on a few films over the weekend;

The Revenant-Very good film, a tad overhyped and maybe 20 minutes too long. Leo will probably get the Oscar but Gleeson,Hardy and Poulter deserve major credit as well. Has some stunning visuals and a good story but a story that could have been told just a bit quicker.

The Martian-Didnt know what to expect going into this and loved every single minute of it. Laughed, teared up, roared at the TV at times which is something i haven't done in a long time. I wish i saw this on the big screen.

If Star Wars wasnt around this would be my film of 2015 but on first watch i think its still one of my all time favourites.

Creed and Bridge of Spies next.

P.S Superbad is great, but on 2nd watch I just wanted to punch MacLovin in the face,fuck that kid.

Hey, make sure to pop by the DVDVR Best of 2015 voting thread, linked in my sig!

I watched Tomorrowland last night and it was completely different and better than I was expecting from the trailer.  Totally enjoyable.

• Like 1

Return To Sender 

A movie trying to cash in on Rosamund Pike playing a great icy crazy woman. Complete with a Jimmy Hart version of a Reznor/Atticus soundtrack. And it is not good. Or interesting. It is weird, though.

Rosamund's character gets raped. She then begins writing to, and eventually regularly visiting her rapist in prison. Her house that she was trying to sell is now no longer sellable since it is "the rape house". She starts remodeling, letting her rapist help with the work. Then she poisons him, holds him captive, cuts his hand off, and presumably killed him. Or maybe cut his dick off. 

She also killed her dad's dog via poisoning. Presumably because the dog ripped a dress of hers once. Because as it turns out, she was kind of a bitch before the rape, then got worse.

It manages to make a rape victim unsympathetic, the rapist not really anything, and the tension built for the whole movie goes nowhere, with everything implied. And then it just ends. It's not good. It isn't really a rape revenge movie. It isn't a consequences of rape movie. It's a Lifetime Original quality movie that uses rape as a cheap gimmick to build artificial tension and drama. All while trying to sell itself as some kind of Gone Girl piece. 

Superbad is awesome. Everyone gives an A+ effort and the funk soundtrack is great. 

I didn't hate it, I just like their other shit better.  I really liked Knocked Up. I love Pineapple Express.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen Easy A it is awesome...   saw it again the other night. So great.

Faster (2010) starring Rock 'The Dwayne' Johnson has a hell of a cast. Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Gugino, Adewale, Barry Pepper, Maggie Grace, Moon Bloodgood, Tom Berenger for one scene... it's a basic revenge movie that gives nothing away at the start so I don't want to say what the plot is. It does seem like a bit of a love letter to the Fast and Furious series, so it's not really a surprise that The Dwayne started getting cast in them after doing this. It is basically set up as a muscle car guy vs a supercar guy where their choice of vehicle is symbolic of their personality and approach to life.

Dexter's sister is also in the movie. But she's less annoying when she's only got one scene.

Rock has that wierd thing in this moive that really ripped guys have, where they look bigger with their shirt off than they do with it on*. Unless he bulked up extra for a subsequent role and then they shot his shirtless scenes when he can back for reshoots maybe.

* I knew a guy who boxed lightweight. When he had a shirt on, that's a short skinny guy. When he had his shirt off, that's a jacked up ninja looking guy.

We saw Woman in Gold last night. It was very good, though some of the historical inaccuracies grated because they felt like they were so blatant and Hollywood, did a disservice to real people's history, and were probably ultimately unnecessary (save, of course, for making sure that the American got to be the lead. Let's be reasonable here).

I loved 2/3rds of the cast (Mirren, Charles Dance, Tatiana Maslany, Baron Zemo, Jonathan Pryce). Ryan Reynolds and Katie Holmes, not so much.

Agreed. She was so magnificent and they successfully made the Bond character more human and fallible as a neophyte, it all worked so well. Such a great movie. Her last scene with Craig in that was so beautifully shot and just makes my heart sink every time.

Diana Rigg is a close second but I can attribute that to having to work with an untrained actor and much less in terms of a script though I really do enjoy OHMSS. 

• Like 1

Lockout from 2012 sees Luc Besson playing Mass Effect 2, deciding that a prison in space which keeps it's prisoner is stasis is a fantastic idea, then remakes Escape From New York there. Casts Guy Pearce as Snake Plissclone, Maggie Grace as the Daughter in Distress, and Peter Stormare as Brian /cox in the Bourne Supremacy. It's actually pretty good if you can look past all the plagiarism. But you it's so blatant... and if you're going to do a remake of Escape from New York, try to make it better than Escape from New York. You won't manage it, can't be done, but try at least.

I might be late to the game but I think Superbad is pretty amazing. I think it might be the funniest movie I've ever seen. I am not being hyperbolic. I have seen Superbad within the past six months and it is still so funny.

So glad others love Walk Hard. John C. Reilly really deserved a ton of Oscars.

So the Critic's Choice awards seem pretty legit.  The jokes are worse and it's basically all acting categories on the actual show, but the nominees and winners are more on target.

Along with all the technical awards, Mad Max is going to win like 30 of these tonight.

Speaking of...saw Fury Road again because it's on HBO now. If you've never seen the movie before, it's basically a guy yelling "Where's My Waifu" for 90 minutes with a bunch of action scenes around it. It's amazing in its insanity. And a truly great movie.

I also was amazed that with a movie with no character development for the most part I did CARE about the characters. The only real character that had an actual arc was Knux. But I cared about everyone. Even the villans. Even the female hunters who were in the movie for like, five minutes. I did care about what happened to each character.

Also I remember in the theaters after the first major action sequence I remember everybody exhaled at the same time that there was such an O2 spike that I almost passed out.

Old School is still a top 10 funniest movie this century to me. #1 being Step Brothers and #2 Django Unchained. Those two place pretty high in my all time best comedies. I'm not sure of an order, but Ghostbusters and Caddyshack probably top that list.

The 80s produced so funny shit. It was peak drugs and people not giving a fuck.

The 80s produced so funny shit. It was peak drugs and people not giving a fuck.

Just the Touchstone catalog alone was a fever dream of neon and insane high concept:

Electric Boogaloo:  The Cannon Documentary took me down memory lane of 80's cinema that made me realize A.) I watched a ton of their movies and B.)  Those movies weren't that good but damn did I have fun watching them.

We saw Sicario and the Martian this weekend.

Sicario was OUTSTANDING! Holy crap! The highway scene at the beginning of the movie had my girlfriend and me on the edge of our seat. So f'n intense. And the score was perfectly dark and brooding. Totally cold blooded ending that reminded me of No Country for Old Men. Emily Blunt's character just embodied how naive the American public is to what is going on right across the border and foolishly believes law enforcement needs to operate with total virtue. Just being a "good guy" isn't going to cut it and I loved every time Brolin or Del Toro had to teach her a lesson. My only complaint was by the end, Blunt's character was really getting on my nerves. That said, all I could do at the end of the movie was think back to what Del Toro says to Blunt very early on.

We loved the Martian as well, maybe a little more than Sicario. I still don't get how the Martian is a comedy. I mean, it's funny at times, but the humor is meant to disarm you, or at least that's what I felt.