DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Kinda topical: Sylvester Stallone is a genuinely great actor, though. He’s just starred in so many shit action movies, people forgot about it for a while. Man, I challenge anyone to watch the original Rocky ending and not get a bit weepy at the raw, visceral emotion he showed at the end. Brando-esque.

I'm a bit bummed that he got so into the money and silly movies, he forget that, you know, he actually had something as an performer.

• Like 1

Kinda topical: Sylvester Stallone is a genuinely great actor, though. He’s just starred in so many shit action movies, people forgot about it for a while. Man, I challenge anyone to watch the original Rocky ending and not get a bit weepy at the raw, visceral emotion he showed at the end. Brando-esque.

I'm a bit bummed that he got so into the money and silly movies, he forget that, you know, he actually had something as an performer.

Do you mean the original First Blood ending?

• Like 2

And yeah, all of First Blood is incredible and I think is Stallone's best performance. Especially the ending, where he just loses it and because a blubbering mess recanting the story of his friend who just had his legs blown off.

While I like First Blood Part 2, only like the "Fuck em" part from Rambo 3, and kinda like Rambo, it's a shame to see the direction the series went in. It feels so detached from First Blood, like they should have been a separate series, but I suppose it would be too hard for audiences to not see the characters in each movie as the same.

I wanted to say that, but then I thought about how he just loses his shit in front of Troutman. He goes from the biggest badass in the world to a total husk of a person so fast and it's so believable.

I love his performance in Rocky Balboa too, especially his "don't forget to visit your mom" speech he gives his son. That cuts deep.

Disagree wholeheartedly about Rogen and Hader. The thing I'm coming to realize about Judd Apatow movies is that usually the plot is just in the way of funny people being funny. That's why I like this is the end so much. It was basically 90 minutes of them goofing around and I thought it was hilarious. That's not to say it's the same as Abbott and Costello movie where it's all shtick, but a lot of the plots drag the pace and humor down. The one exception to this being 40 year old virgin, as the plot drives a lot of the humor.

• Like 2

Disagree wholeheartedly about Rogen and Hader. The thing I'm coming to realize about Judd Apatow movies is that usually the plot is just in the way of funny people being funny. That's why I like this is the end so much. It was basically 90 minutes of them goofing around and I thought it was hilarious. That's not to say it's the same as Abbott and Costello movie where it's all shtick, but a lot of the plots drag the pace and humor down. The one exception to this being 40 year old virgin, as the plot drives a lot of the humor.

There's a great Funny or Die video where Triumph the Insult Comic Dog visits the set of 'This is 40' and says right to Judd Apatow's face "So what is this movie about...except about 40 minutes too long?" and it's so funny but it's so true.  I'm not sure there's a Judd Apatow film that couldn't use a 30-40 minute cull.

'Funny People' is a great example.  The story about Adam Sandler as an asshole version of himself (Comedian who hits it big and does silly gimmicky family-friendly films) with cancer who mentors a younger comedian is so great; then when he decides to reconnect with his former girlfriend the movie grinds to a complete halt (And I LIKE Lesley Mann!).  I really think Apatow is hoping one of these hits in a way that he could get himself an Academy Award nomination and be taken seriously as an artist, instead of just making funny films that people like.  He wants to be Rob Reiner (Guy who did comedies and segued into being an Academy Award-nominated director) but he's more Ivan Reitman (Guy who made a bunch of funny films, but never really got Academy attention...just ignore those late period films).  And there's nothing wrong with being Ivan Reitman!

Also, major kudos to Oyaji for the best avatar on the entire board!

• Like 1

mr-show-monks-vs-fat-camp-o.gif

30 minutes sounds about right. I think a lot of it has to do with the romantic threads being really shitty in a lot of Apatow produced comedies and generally need a great female lead to overcome them. Like, most people enjoy seeing the not-so-great goofballs charming beautiful women seemingly "above" them but a lot of the male protagonists are just assholes, so it doesn't seem plausible at all. It makes for an awkward vicarious experience for the male viewer and a repulsive one for the female viewer. Jonah Hill's character is a whiny, self-centred prick in Superbad plus he looks like Jonah Hill circa 2007. How he ends up with Emma Stone's character is ridiculous when rewatching it. Again, I go back to This is the End and will add in Pineapple Express as Apatow movies that totally work for me because they drop the love interest. I wish they didn't have to be just about dudes, but I still love both of those movies, particularly Pineapple Express (James Franco was the most adorable character in that). 

Edited by Oyaji

The hate for Superbad is baffling to me. The 10 minutes or so at the party they are too young to be at is maybe the most I've ever laughed in a movie theater. Michael Cera singing for a room of coked out dudes is the greatest thing.

Saved by Emma Stone? Rogen and Hader are terrible? Get the hell out!

• Like 3

The lesser part of the movie for sure, but Hader and Rogen as dumbass cops was pretty great.  The mini chase scene with Cera that they overplayed during the ad campaign was still one of the funniest moments of the movie.

Comedy is the most subjective, but there are like two pages here of people singling out Superbad amidst a bunch of comedies with similarly weak points.  Maybe it's simply because it's a high school comedy and you all are just old!??

I thought The 40 Year Old Virgin looked like a typical stupid bromantic comedy in the previews, but was visiting some out of town friends who wanted to go see it, and low and behold I loved it.  The Superbad previews also did nothing for me and I ended up watching the whole thing at a friend's house one night and thought it was rank.  I wish I could articulate the source of my dislike better, but movies/tv shows that have some "character makes a series of increasingly stupid choices and gets in progressively deeper shit over the course of an evening" plot is generally an instant channel changer for me.  One of the reasons I've pretty much never liked any sitcom ever is that so many of them use a variant of that every episode. 

I didn't see 40YO Voigin until a few years after it came out because the ads made it look like the shits. So, I'm with you on that. Superbad, I still really like despite it having some annoying flaws. 

I've never actually seen Superbad. I like 40YOV, I like I Love You Man, I like Sara Marshall, but my favorite is still Walk Hard.  I think that's at least half because of the awesome music, though; take that away and it's still a solid parody of music biopics (with a bit more of a ZAZ feel than most of JA's other stuff, which I like) but probably wouldn't be able to trump the others the way it does.

American Cox – The Unbearably Long Self-Indulgent Director’s Cut is so incredibly awesome. Because holy fuck is it long for a comedy, and the title might be the best joke. Fantastic film I always kinda forget about.

40 Year Old Virgin scores points for me for covering that subject without coming across as mean spirited about it. I thought it was pretty funny but only saw it once.

The McLovin' bits are easily the funniest part of Superbad. I have no desire at all to revisit the rest, which is just people saying #BadWords and I'm pretty good at that on my own, plus I have twitter.

Caught up on a few films over the weekend;

The Revenant-Very good film, a tad overhyped and maybe 20 minutes too long. Leo will probably get the Oscar but Gleeson,Hardy and Poulter deserve major credit as well. Has some stunning visuals and a good story but a story that could have been told just a bit quicker.

The Martian-Didnt know what to expect going into this and loved every single minute of it. Laughed, teared up, roared at the TV at times which is something i haven't done in a long time. I wish i saw this on the big screen.

If Star Wars wasnt around this would be my film of 2015 but on first watch i think its still one of my all time favourites.

Creed and Bridge of Spies next.

P.S Superbad is great, but on 2nd watch I just wanted to punch MacLovin in the face,fuck that kid.