DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am trying to talk myself into going to see Hateful 8 and it is not working.  I love QT and am feeling his message on race relations, but I don't go to see Westerns unless they are REALLY good and I am not feeling this movie.

I am going to see The Revenant, though.  That looks badass.

I am trying to talk myself into going to see Hateful 8 and it is not working. I love QT and am feeling his message on race relations, but I don't go to see Westerns unless they are REALLY good and I am not feeling this movie.

I am going to see The Revenant, though. That looks badass.

It was better than django but not better than basterds.

There are parts that will definitely make you laugh out loud.

I am trying to talk myself into going to see Hateful 8 and it is not working.  I love QT and am feeling his message on race relations, but I don't go to see Westerns unless they are REALLY good and I am not feeling this movie.

I am going to see The Revenant, though.  That looks badass.

I'm seeing The Revenant probably tomorrow only because I feel like it's one that has to be seen on the big screen if I'm going to watch it.

With that said, I'm not a big fan of Inarritu and am approaching the film with middling expectations.

I agree with what Odessa said to a point, it's probably dead middle of the pack Tarantino with it and Inglorious jostling for that fourth position behind his first 3 films.

I think I liked it better than Basterds which is still too long in the tooth to me. Not like this one isn't either, I just liked watching it unfold more.

Think I will go 

1. Jackie Brown

2. Kill Bill 2

3. Django Unchained

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Pulp Fiction

6. The Hateful Eight

7. Inglorious Basterds 

8. The segment in Four Rooms

9. Kill Bill

10. Death Proof

And if we're counting True Romance as a Quentin Joint then it's #1. Oooooo, that also brings up the question of From Dusk Til Dawn. He did write it...

EDIT: Speaking of Four Rooms

the callback to Tim Roth dropping his proper British accent in that segment that Quentin directed in Hateful Eight had me rolling. I bet nobody else in the audience got the joke but I cracked up for the Cockney coming back into his voice out of nowhere.

Roth cosplaying as Waltz for the first half of the movie is hilarious.

I always count from Dusk as a QT movie because i read the script before it was actually filmed, so i imagine him as director. I also count True Romance and NBK to a lesser extent. I read all those while working on my never finished QT thesis from grad school. :)

Jackie Brown - One of my favorite movies ever, QT's best film and yet somehow it remains under-rated in a lot of circles.

Kill Bill - Counting this as a single entry.

Django Unchained

Inglorious Basterds - The opening scene is my favorite in all of QT's films.

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Death Proof

Still waiting for Hateful Eight.

Still haven't seen Death Proof. Did watch every QT movie (plus True Romance) except the Kill Bills before I saw Hateful Eight. Man, I forgot how much I love Reservoir Dogs. Then, I saw some documentary stuff about Reservoir Dogs. Bunker talking about running into Lawrence Tierney decades earlier and getting his ass handed to him hockey fight style makes me love maniac Tierney all that much more. Chris Penn's story about Tierney is also great.

Only seen Inglorious Basterds & Django. Never been too interested in the rest.

Do yourself a favor and watch Jackie Brown.

Pulp Fiction is worth a once over, if only because just about everyone has seen it and will reference it, but Jackie Brown needs to be watched and re-watched over and over.

• Like 1

Only seen Inglorious Basterds & Django. Never been too interested in the rest.

Do yourself a favor and watch Jackie Brown.

Pulp Fiction is worth a once over, if only because just about everyone has seen it and will reference it, but Jackie Brown needs to be watched and re-watched over and over.

I've don't know if it's intentional, but I've seen Christopher Walken in few things lately. First, it was True Romance. Then, the hilarious Captain Koons monologue to little Butch in Pulp Fiction. Today, I saw At Close Range for the first time and he's awesome in that.

When Linda Kaye (the stuntwoman rocking the awful white mom jean shorts that Marsellus hits instead of Butch) gets shot in Pulp Fiction, I laugh so fucking hard. From that point to Comanche by The Revels playing to "I'm pretty fucking far from okay", you forget for a moment that movie is so long and you sat through those parts with Butch's girlfriend.

My rankings at this moment.

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Jackie Brown (due a revisit).

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. Inglorious Basterds (due a revisit)

5. Hateful Eight

6. Kill Bill

7. Django Unchained

8. Death Proof (Due a Revisit, and I don't consider it the misstep that other people due from him. I could see an argument for ranking this ahead of Kill Bill and Django, honestly).

If I were to count any of the scripts in this, the only one I'd personally count is True Romance as that "feels" like a Tarantino movie. I was not very big on From Dusk Till Dawn, and I have honestly never seen NBK. I would probably place True Romance at #3 on this list just ahead of Reservoir Dogs, but it is definitely due a revisit as well.

Guys guys guys, it clearly goes:

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Jackie Brown

3. Inglorious Basterds

4. Kill Bill Vol. 2

5. Reservoir Dogs

6. Django Unchained

7. Kill Bill Vol. 1

Death Proof doesn't even rank.  I only watched about 20 minutes of the Hateful Eight screener before turning it off.  Loved the little bit that I saw so much that I had to wait to see it in theaters.

NBK doesn't count at all because they totally gutted and reconstituted his script. He's still pissed about that.

BTW, has anybody read that original script? I wonder how different it is and in what ways...

Yes. It's been 20 years or so, but as i recall, more Mickey and Mallory spree, less Batongaville. And the trial scene.

I like Reservoir Dogs, but I think it's so obviously too rough and borderline unfinished to possibly not have it at the bottom. It's a fun movie that showed QT probably could make a great movie, but it's not itself a great one.

I also think Death Proof was fucking awesome, soooooo grains of salt I guess.