DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] JANUARY 2016 DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I just watched The Long Riders (Walter Hill, 1980) and re-realized that David Carradine was the baddest of all motherfuckers. Look this one up for sure. 

This also makes me think that since we have a shootouts and beatdowns thread, we need a plain old 'movie fights' thread. Starting, of course, with They Live.

EDIT: Aw man, they cut it right before he says "You got what you wanted" and hangs the sash on old girl... then walks out. 

To follow up on David Carradine, Scream Factory is re-releasing this film from '89 he was in called Sonny Boy. He plays a transvestite surrogate mother to a boy stolen by a band of savages/crazy people who cut out his tongue and decide to raise him on his own. I watched the trailer and it spoils the whole movie, but... WHOA. This is truly Lynchean and deranged. It could almost be a sequel to Texas Chainsaw 2 in spirit, looks like. And Carradine wrote and performed a song for the open!

Yeah, that chapter was pretty much just a bunch of blood and exposition, but at least

Zoe Bell, who deserves more work as not just a stuntperson

got a role there.

She was great in Raze... if you can handle the intensity of that one. Brutal fucking movie and this is ME saying that.

I liked the chapter in question, but it seems to be the most divisive in the movie.

I get the "we meet the only decent human beings in the movie, and are just waiting around to see them murderer, which we know is coming" argument, but I felt it built tension more than disgust, for me. Plus, I'm not sure they were all good people, given we established Minnie is prejudiced against Mexicans.

Watching the Director's Cut of Straight Outta Compton, and it strikes me how, both times I've seen the movie, that I'm more effected by DOC's car crash than E's death in the film, and I have no idea why.

Watching the Director's Cut of Straight Outta Compton, and it strikes me how, both times I've seen the movie, that I'm more effected by DOC's car crash than E's death in the film, and I have no idea why.

I haven't seen the Director's Cut yet but watching this in theaters was such a great movie going experience. "Vaseline" was a real highlight, everyone was going crazy. I think a lot of people in my theater hadn't heard that diss record before and they loved it. 

With that said, I thought the Death Row stuff was ehhhhh.  The timeline didn't work. 2Pac got a huge reaction but that was about it.  The Suge Knight stuff was a little made-for-tv movie for me which sucks because the first hour of this was incredible..

Yeah, No Vaseline got featured heavily. More than any other solo post-NWA track, for sure. And it deserved it.

I still still can't get over how much that kid looks like Pac, it's crazy man.

And, yeah, it definitely drops off once they get big/break up, other than a few standout scenes here and there.

I'm also bothered a bit by things where I know the real life story too well. Like Snoop freestyling "1, 2, 3 and to the 4..." when I know damn well he and DOC wrote the lyrics together (and DOC added in the "nobody does it better" line just about last so he'd be represented on the track.)

• Like 1

I can almost guarantee the audience I saw it with had never heard "No Vaseline", being 90% black high school students, and they lost it. 

Really looking forward to watching the Director's Cut with my friends who bought it on Blu Ray. We were gonna get into it last week but other people and drinking got in the way. 

It's not a massively different cut, some of the performances are longer, a few small and not really important scenes are added, a few other scenes play a bit longer. Didn't seem like twenty minutes extra stuff to me, but apparently it is.

It is already fairly long (at least for something so popular). I was hoping there'd be more stuff with historical interest in general. 

The last director's cut I watched that came out at me, coincidentally, was the one for Friday. It seemed way more fleshed out in that form. 

Blade Runner.

NOOOOOOO

Commentary and happy ending were stupid.  DC is much better.

Also, Aliens.

All the first three Alien films, really. Although all they have for 3 is a reassembly based on what they thought Fincher wanted at the time. But still, Blade Runner has 4 different cuts (because the original 'Director's Cut' didn't really involve Ridley), Alien has 2 cuts, Kingdom of Heaven has 2... does Ridley Scott ever actually finish his movies? Is there an extended version of Gladiator out there somewhere? Or a version of G.I. Jane that's not as bad?

Blade Runner.

NOOOOOOO

Commentary and happy ending were stupid.  DC is much better.

Also, Aliens.

Counterpoint: Though it was added at the behest of the studio, the bored, monotone voiceover makes it even more of a film noir detective movie.  Much worse than that is how the the revisionist "Deckard is a Repicant" stuff ruins the story of how the Replicants have more humanity than Deckard.  This one change moved what was a meditation on what it means to have humanity into lame-ass M. Night Shymalan territory.  HE'S A ROBOT!  WHAT A TWIST!

All that said, I, too, can do without the tacked-on happy ending with its Shining overhead shots.

• Like 1

To follow up on David Carradine, Scream Factory is re-releasing this film from '89 he was in called Sonny Boy. He plays a transvestite surrogate mother to a boy stolen by a band of savages/crazy people who cut out his tongue and decide to raise him on his own. I watched the trailer and it spoils the whole movie, but... WHOA. This is truly Lynchean and deranged. It could almost be a sequel to Texas Chainsaw 2 in spirit, looks like. And Carradine wrote and performed a song for the open!

I caught the end of Sonny Boy on some channel last year, after not having seen it since the early 90s.  It's still not good, but I still don't care.  It's too fucked up not to love.  Brad Dourif plays an murderer/rapist, and still manages to be the sanest guy in the whole thing.  That alone makes it worth watching.

• Like 1

I don't care what Ridley says: Deckard ain't a replicant. The movie never puts any weight or effort into saying he's a robot. There's basically three seconds of the most tenuous circumstantial evidence to even suggest that he might be, and all of it could easily be interpreted in other ways. And it not only opens up a million new plot holes if Deckard is a robot (why would they give him human-level strength and endurance, handicapping against the other robots he's hunting?), but it completely ruins his entire plot arc and all his relationships with all the other characters. The movie doesn't make sense if he's not human.

All that being said: the theatrical narration fucking sucks. Badly written, terribly acted, totally unnecessary. It makes the movie actively worse, ruining the beautiful dream-like atmosphere with this clunky repetition of exposition that we're already getting elsewhere.

As for the Alien series: I mostly like the theatrical cuts better, mostly.

-Alien's "director's cut" was superfluous tinkering in the first place, since Scott said that he was perfectly happy with the theatrical version. The only major thing it adds is the deleted scene with Dallas in the alien's nest. That one should've STAYED deleted; not only is it a direct contradiction of how the aliens work in subsequent films, but it's just poorly handled with ambiguous visuals and Tom Skerritt maybe giving the single worst bit of acting I've ever seen him do, I literally can't understand most of what he's saying. AND that scene also works to throw a speedbump into the otherwise brutally-tense third act, stopping the movie dead in its tracks and deflating a lot of the final momentum. All the other changed were completely inconsequential stuff, adding in an extra shot of nothing-happening here or taking our a bit of random dialogue there. The DC isn't superior to the theatrical cut in any meaningful fashion, the original edit was already perfect.

-Aliens is a tough case, because there's two deleted scenes which absolutely should've stayed in. The one where Ripley learns her daughter is dead is what forms the entire motivation for her character in the second half of the movie, it's the core of why she is so desperately obsessive to save Newt (even if it's at the cost of literally everyone else's lives). Cutting that one was unforgivable. And then we have the sentry-gun sequence; it's a brilliant bit of smoke-and-mirrors tomfoolery, getting an entire nail-biting action scene out of little more than people watching an LED readout counting down from 500 to 0. It also serves as a better explanation of why the aliens took so long to invade the compound, in that big gap of time between the marines getting decimated and the aliens' final assault.

But then... there's that fucking terrible scene at the colony before the aliens attack, showing us Newt's family. It's awful. Just awful. Some of the worst shit that James Cameron has ever made (outside of Piranha 2, anyway), a terribly written and terribly acted piece of garbage which actively sabotages the tension in the later scenes when the marines arrive. It's way creepier to see the colony for the first time when it's ruined and empty, than to see it after we've already watched a bunch of shitty actors feeling like fake people on the same sets. In a perfect world, we could have a DC of Aliens which ditches this scene but includes the other two; sadly, in our imperfect world, I call it a draw between the theatrical and director's cuts.

-Alien 3 is one where I would actually argue for the theatrical version being superior. For one main reason: the assembly cut is unfinished. Not only do many of the new special effects just look fake as hell, but there's something terribly wrong with the sound mix. Much of the re-added dialogue is muffled to the point of being inaudible or unintelligible. That's enough to make watching it a chore, but there's a few scenes which I thought were simply done better in the reshot versions in the theatrical cut: the alien's much more horrifying birth, or the extended version of Ripley's final martyrdom. And really, considering how relentlessly grim and hostile an experience Alien 3 is, do we really need it to go past two hours in length?

-Alien Resurrection has a special edition which is mostly the same as the shitty original, but all the deleted scenes are nice little character moments which help the story in little ways and really shouldn't have been cut out in the first place. (Except for the godawful opening nonsense with the soldier and the bug in the straw.) So this is one where the DC is absolutely better.

-And with both of the Alien vs Predator movies, the Unrated versions are pretty much universally superior to the theatrical ones... if anyone actually gives a shit about those movies.