DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

What is an AMA? What is move spamming?

Ask Me Anything.
Who would win? Buffy or Bayley?
They wouldn't fight. Buffy would save Bayley when she tried to unknowingly hug a vampire then they'd hang out.
  • Like 1

This is a random question but with the new movie out, I thought it might be worthwhile to ask:

How did the rap group NWA evade being sued by the National Wrestling Alliance? You would think that the wholesome, friendly NWA of the late 80s - early 90s would not want to be possibly associated with gangsta rap. 

This is a random question but with the new movie out, I thought it might be worthwhile to ask:

How did the rap group NWA evade being sued by the National Wrestling Alliance? You would think that the wholesome, friendly NWA of the late 80s - early 90s would not want to be possibly associated with gangsta rap. 

"Mainstream media attention is a good thing!"

I think it's the opposite - N.W.A. wouldn't have been considered mainstream by the National Wrestling Alliance in the late 80s. Hip-hop wasn't widely considered profitable. Corporate America didn't even realize they could start suing the shit out of the Bomb Squad until the 90s. Add that to all the problems that the territory system was having back then plus the lack of centralized ownership, and going after "some rap group" on intellectual property grounds was probably far down on the list of things to do.

Very different situation from the Pandas, who were a giant non-profit dealing with a singular, giant wrestling company.

All that said, as a kid, I was a huge fan of both N.W.A.s and thought it was hilarious that they had the same name.

• Like 1

By the same topic- usually for copyrights, things are very detailed in what the trademark falls under (so NWA would have it "for a rap group", The National Wrestling Alliance had it for pro wrestling.) The only way it'd come to pass would be like how the Pandas went after WWF, where World Wrestling Federation had an agreement with the World Wildlife Fund for the initials normally where they wouldn't pass, but then the Pandas realized once the Internet came to pass and both sites suddenly had to fight over WWF.com that they couldn't coexist anymore.

...having said that, the National Wrestling Alliance could have crushed them at the time. N.W.A.'s intellectual property game was weak at the time- they couldn't even make sure they had the only guy using the name Dr.Dre in the rap game in the '90s, how the hell were they going to beat out the NWA?

I'd argue marketplace confusion and that might have been easy. If someone says to you, "I'm going to the NWA show" or "there's an NWA show in town tonight," there's potential for confusion. Both are within the entertainment industry so it would have been easy to attack.