DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Am I the only one that wants the old syndies of Superstars and Challenge? I love that stuff. 

Savage getting bit by a friggin cobra. Michael's throwing Janetty through the barbershop windoe. Taker getting his hand slammed and locked in the casket. The Berserker almost impaling The Undertaker in the middle of the ring with his sword. 

Fast forward to the mid to late 90s and you have the north of what it means to "be pillman'd". 

All great stuff. 

• Like 4

Just watched the June 4/88 episode of WCW which included the straight jacket promo by The Fantastics, where they threaten to put Jim Cornette in one at ring side so he cannot interfere. Of course, being dopey babyfaces (seriously, they're a great tag team, but a couple boring ass dudes) they have to demonstrate how it works and put it on Bobby Fulton. This leads to the obvious MX sneak attack where Bobby Eaton chairshots Fulton IN THE GODDAMN FACE! THE GODDAMN FACE! Fulton manages to tilt his head slightly at the last second, but he takes that thing almost completely flush.

I have probably watched it 10 times, its so great. I mean, its actually terrible with what we know about brain injuries and all that, but I can't help laughing uncontrollably anyway. Beautiful Bobby is here to wreck shit.

Here's the promo, Bobby flies in at 3:20.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

As a cynical 30something, looking back at promos like that makes me wonder why I ever rooted for the babyfaces

Because there were guys like early Sting. "The coma and the morgue!"

Seriously, Sting was so great. (Clip starts right before promo)

On 4/20/2017 at 0:39 AM, elizium said:

Just watched the June 4/88 episode of WCW which included the straight jacket promo by The Fantastics, where they threaten to put Jim Cornette in one at ring side so he cannot interfere. Of course, being dopey babyfaces (seriously, they're a great tag team, but a couple boring ass dudes) they have to demonstrate how it works and put it on Bobby Fulton. This leads to the obvious MX sneak attack where Bobby Eaton chairshots Fulton IN THE GODDAMN FACE! THE GODDAMN FACE! Fulton manages to tilt his head slightly at the last second, but he takes that thing almost completely flush.

I have probably watched it 10 times, its so great. I mean, its actually terrible with what we know about brain injuries and all that, but I can't help laughing uncontrollably anyway. Beautiful Bobby is here to wreck shit.

Y'all are sleeping on the greatness that is Stan's pants (Zubaz?)

That promo/beatdown is great because you can pretty much guess what's coming as soon as they decide to demonstrate how a straitjacket works (that really needs an explanation?  Really) and the segment still works. Poor Fulton, though.  

25 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Looks like they're doing an "unseen" match show with Sean Mooney.  Bout time.

It's more likely that they're having Heath Slater do a game show as the Invisible Man than actually giving us matches that haven't been out there.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Charly's Twitter said it was for WWE Home Video, not the Network.

Wait WWE Home video still exists?

EDIT:  Okay I assume that it is just DVD's but does anyone still buy them since they can be downloaded or put on the Network?   I don't think they even sell DVD's at WWE events

17 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Y'all are sleeping on the greatness that is Stan's pants (Zubaz?)

That promo/beatdown is great because you can pretty much guess what's coming as soon as they decide to demonstrate how a straitjacket works (that really needs an explanation?  Really) and the segment still works. Poor Fulton, though.  

The best is Cornette prancing in to barely distract Fulton so Bobby can blindside him.

42 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Hmm...if Mooney is involved maybe it's a late '80s/early '90s version of the "Attitude Era: Unreleased" DVD set from last year? I could go for that.

Someone just make sure to put that Randy Savage vs Undertaker match on there if that's the case.

I want to see that Taker/Tito match where Tito beats him with 3 piledrivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I want to see that Taker/Tito match where Tito beats him with 3 piledrivers.

That's on YouTube; Tito does hit 3 piledrivers but then smacks Taker with the urn to pin him.

It was a show taped in Barcelona, Spain (Oct 1991) right as Santana was transitioning to El Matador.  Even his post-match promo was completely in Spanish.  Taker pretty much no-sold the pin.  He just sits up and leaves while Tito celebrates.  Almost positive it never aired in the US in any capacity.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:39 AM, elizium said:

Stan Lane running out shirtless in Zubaz to attack a dude might be the most 1988 thing ever. 

• Like 3

Been sick this week which for some reason when I'm sick I like to watch really bad things so I watched The Kliq Rules on the network yesterday. 

The revisionist history in this about how Shawn and Trips were solely responsible for the attitude era success and Nash and Hall were solely responsible for WCW's success and that Trips and HBK were considered Kliq north and Hall and Nash were Kliq south and they were all basically in control of the two companies. 

They also spend a lot of time talking about how they weren't like they were perceived but because of the misconception they would play in to it by doing things like always telling guys their payoffs but always telling them double what they actually got to piss the boys off more. 

Tony: "Steiner is a real up and coming wrestler."

Rotunda "Oh, he's definitely up and coming, we just don't know where he's going."

Early Varsity Club is pretty much my favourite thing ever. Rotunda and Steiner are such fantastic complements of the gimmick with each other. Rotunda as the stuck up, preppy athlete and Steiner as the Ogre-esque goofy, dumb jock.

One of my favourite moments was during a Rick Steiner squash match, where he become infatuated with fish hooking his opponent and each time he does he gleefully yells at Sullivan "Hey, I got his tongue!"

• Like 3