DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watched the First Look of Seth Rollins DVD and maybe it was common knowledge but they did have plans for a season 6 of the NXT season including Seth, Big E, Bo Dallas, Adam Rose, Damian Sandow, and someone lucha guy who doesn't look like Sin Cara or Kalisto.   That would have been an interesting season although maybe not as interesting as what ended up which was Season 5 going about 2 years and turning into an entertaining internet only show.   Although from the stories about Seth being miserable in FCW I can only imagine how much he would have hated doing that NXT stuff

Are they really planning a collection series of the Godfather.  I mean unless they are including his other gimmicks that has to be the shortest collection ever.

20 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Watched the First Look of Seth Rollins DVD and maybe it was common knowledge but they did have plans for a season 6 of the NXT season including Seth, Big E, Bo Dallas, Adam Rose, Damian Sandow, and someone lucha guy who doesn't look like Sin Cara or Kalisto.   That would have been an interesting season although maybe not as interesting as what ended up which was Season 5 going about 2 years and turning into an entertaining internet only show.   Although from the stories about Seth being miserable in FCW I can only imagine how much he would have hated doing that NXT stuff

That goes along with the picture making the round recently with all those guys in it.

Thoughts on WrestleMania XIV

Marvelous Marc Mero must have marked out because boxing legend Marvelous Marvin Hagler was in attendance. Hagler legally changed his name to "Marvelous."

The Road Warriors made a strong re-debut with cool new outfits and Sunny as their manager. This was a much-needed facelift and finally rescued Sunny from "guest ring announcer" duties.

Chyna continued to emerge as a star. She managed to help HHH beat Owen Hart to retain the European title despite being handcuffed to Sgt. Slaughter. 

Sable's strong performance lifted the mixed tag match to "hidden gem" status and helped make WM 14 a surprisingly great show.

Ken Shamrock again failed to win the IC title despite beating The Rock cleanly. This time, Shamrock's lengthy post-match attack resulted in a reverse decision. I would have rather seen Shamrock and the Road Warriors booked as dominant babyface champions rather than guys who constantly get screwed out of winning a title.

Kane also helped WM 14 to become a better show than expected. Since he was a heel, nobody expected him to attack Pete Rose, who was heeling on the Boston fans. Kane gave Undertaker a tremendous fight, living up to the six-month buildup of the feud.

Shawn Michaels is the MVP of the show, even though it served as Steve Austin's coronation. Halfway through the match, Michaels' back was in excruciating pain. He didn't cut the match short, but he gave the fans a full-length WrestleMania main event. HBK even got punched out by Mike Tyson after the match. He took more than four years off after leaving everything in the ring on this night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

It actually is the current Sin Cara, Hunico.  The arm tattoo is a dead giveaway.

23 hours ago, odessasteps said:

That goes along with the picture making the round recently with all those guys in it.

Making the rounds as in I posted it in the photo thread because Big E and Rollins both commented on it

Prime Time Wrestling is not great at continuity. Matches are aired referencing the Dream Team as tag champs on the same shows that the Bulldogs appear as champs. Bundy is managed by Heenan, but matches with Hart as his manager show up. The same Lanny Poffo/George Wells tag match is aired twice in 2 weeks. Just a lot of weird carelessness.

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Prime Time Wrestling is not great at continuity. Matches are aired referencing the Dream Team as tag champs on the same shows that the Bulldogs appear as champs. Bundy is managed by Heenan, but matches with Hart as his manager show up. The same Lanny Poffo/George Wells tag match is aired twice in 2 weeks. Just a lot of weird carelessness.

I think I said this earlier in the thread, maybe not here, but for a company that prided itself on technology and being ahead of the curve, PTW had the same damn outdated intro for years, twice, before it was updated. 

Very strange looking back. But, I guess they assumed everyone was naive at the time. 

On 6/4/2017 at 9:23 PM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on WrestleMania XIV

Marvelous Marc Mero must have marked out because boxing legend Marvelous Marvin Hagler was in attendance. Hagler legally changed his name to "Marvelous."

The Road Warriors made a strong re-debut with cool new outfits and Sunny as their manager. This was a much-needed facelift and finally rescued Sunny from "guest ring announcer" duties.

Chyna continued to emerge as a star. She managed to help HHH beat Owen Hart to retain the European title despite being handcuffed to Sgt. Slaughter. 

Sable's strong performance lifted the mixed tag match to "hidden gem" status and helped make WM 14 a surprisingly great show.

Ken Shamrock again failed to win the IC title despite beating The Rock cleanly. This time, Shamrock's lengthy post-match attack resulted in a reverse decision. I would have rather seen Shamrock and the Road Warriors booked as dominant babyface champions rather than guys who constantly get screwed out of winning a title.

Kane also helped WM 14 to become a better show than expected. Since he's a heel, nobody expected him to attack Pete Rose, who was heeling on the Boston fans. Kane gave Undertaker a tremendous fight, living up to the six-month buildup of the feud.

Shawn Michaels is the MVP of the show, even though it served as Steve Austin's coronation. Halfway through the match, Michaels' back was in excruciating pain. He didn't cut the match short, but he gave the fans a full-length WrestleMania main event. HBK even got punched out by Mike Tyson after the match. He took more than four years off after leaving everything in the ring on this night.

That HBK/Austin match is tough to watch b/c you can tell he's hurting like a mofo. The "Flair flip" into the corner spot where you can hear him hit the buckle makes me cringe every time. Interesting note, HBK was pretty pissed about Tyson and Austin putting the shirt on his face. I can't remember who the agent for the match was, I wanna say Brisco, wanted that spot but HBK thought it was a bit much to literally bury him. He fought against it but they got him to do it. He was still pretty livid about it afterwards though.

• Like 1

Also, in his book, Animal said that Hawk HATED those motorcycle helmets. Animal said they wore them for a week or two and then Hawk just chucked his into the crowd at a house show.

• Like 2

I didn't see the footage until years later, but Shawn was really pissed at the press conference following the show. He probably hadn't accepted that he was going to have to retire yet so it's possible he was just working for a rematch, but it's awkward. 

I popped huge for LOD 2000 and thought they were going to have a huge run based on their new gear, probably because I was ten. They were the first wrestler autographs I got too right around that time at a mall signing. My mom kept saying Sunny in her skimpy LOD gear "ruined" the 8x10 they signed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

I didn't see the footage until years later, but Shawn was really pissed at the press conference following the show. He probably hadn't accepted that he was going to have to retire yet so it's possible he was just working for a rematch, but it's awkward. 

I popped huge for LOD 2000 and thought they were going to have a huge run based on their new gear, probably because I was ten. They were the first wrestler autographs I got too right around that time at a mall signing. My mom kept saying Sunny in her skimpy LOD gear "ruined" the 8x10 they signed. 

He was really pissed about the t-shirt thing. The story is in one of those Titan Sinking books. I think it's in Titan Screwed. I think the writers tracked down an interview he did talking about that day. He said he was basically just being a big pain in the ass the entire day due to his back hurting and them calling for Tyson to knock him out and bury him in the t-shirt was just something he decided to harp about and be pissed off over. 

On 2017-06-03 at 8:17 AM, Craig H said:

Hmm... Is that the first OVW match to hit the network or is more OVW on it and I just haven't found it. I would love to go back to OVW's heyday.

Similar question from looking at that playlist: What's a fella got to do to get them to release WWECW in its entirety?

Thoughts on In Your House 21: Unforgiven

Faarooq, Steve Blackman and Ken Shamrock may be the baddest six-man tag team of all time. They marched down to the ring and threw up the Nation fist, even though they were fighting the Nation. Who's going to argue with them?

Sgt. Slaughter went to ridiculous lengths to keep Chyna from interfering in the HHH-Owen match by suspending her above ringside in a shark cage .... and she still escaped! She bent the bars like Superman and Road Dogg snuck into the control area and lowered her cage. Because he's a roadie, remember?

Tennessee Lee was fantastic as Jeff Jarrett's Southern-fried hype man. Somehow, Jarrett became even more obnoxious when Tennessee was doing the bragging for him. This was a huge upgrade from Jarrett's affiliation with the NWA squad.

Luna beat Sable very easily in the evening gown match. One year later, Sable would the lose the WWF women's title by winning an evening gown match over Debra. Let's not even try to figure that one out.

The WWF hilariously presented the crowd in Greensboro with an NWA tag team title match between the Rock & Roll Express and the Midnight Express. Bob Holly and Bart Gunn comprised the Midnight Express (with "ME" on their tights). The Rock & Rolls still had "NWA" on their tights, even though they had broken away from Jim Cornette's faction.

The inferno match looked great, even though someone was obviously pressing the "FLAMES~!" button on every spot.

Vince McMahon is the MVP. His presence led to a shadow of a chance that Austin would lose the title after just one month. Plus, Vince got waffled with a chairshot to set up the "stacked deck" main event of the next pay-per-view.

22 hours ago, elizium said:

That was mostly in the first year and a half.  WWF kinda hit the reset button in Sept 1986 with the syndicated shows looking MUCH slicker and TNT getting cancelled.  I think once PTW was the only prime time cable show they had left, they took it a little more seriously.

Thoughts on In Your House 22: Over the Edge

Droz helped the Road Warriors beat DOA in the opener, but he looked out of place as their understudy. Face paint would have helped.

Dick Togo looked fantastic in Kaientai's win over the "odd couple" of Bradshaw and Taka Michinoku. 

Marvelous Marc Mero is the MVP thanks to his swerve that knocked Sable out of the WWF "forever." This really should have made Mero a big star. He could have bragged for months about Sable being gone and gotten huge heat. Of course, Sable was so valuable that they couldn't keep her away too long. 

Faarooq wins the rare Least Valuable Player award. First, he piledrove The Rock, almost costing himself a shot at the IC title later in the show. When Rock was forced to wrestle anyway, and with the Nation banned from ringside, Faarooq still couldn't beat him.

Jerry Lawler's segment with Crusher and Mad Dog Vachon went on way too long. The use of Vachon's artificial leg would have been much more effective if we hadn't seen it two years earlier in the Shawn-Diesel match.

The WWF dropped the ball twice with Vader. First, they should have put him over Shawn Michaels at SummerSlam 96. Here, he was over huge as a babyface, but he lost his mask and cursed at himself after the match. 

Owen Hart got a big win in the DX-Nation match after hitting the Pedigree on HHH onto the European title belt. Owen also pinned Austin in the 10-man tag at Canadian Stampede one year earlier. So in a multi-man match, Owen could beat anybody.

Austin's win over Dude Love was the perfect encapsulation of his feud with Vince McMahon. In this match, Vince was the Donkey Kong to Austin's Mario, throwing a nearly endless supply of obstacles at him. At King of the Ring, Vince would finally succeed at getting the belt away from Austin.

37 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Did Jeff Jarrett come to the ring on a horse covered in LED lights when he was managed by Tennessee Lee or is that a fever dream from when I was a teenager?

It happened

2vifibc.jpg

• Like 1

I don't blame anybody for giving up on Bring it to the Table, but last night was kind of weird even by their standards.  It's one thing to discuss WWE stuff, but they brought up the whole ...dive controversy and even mentioned Ricochet/Osprey from last year.  Kind of threw me for a loop it would be brought up like that and discussed for a fair bit of time.