DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

16 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I always found it weird how wrestler deaths were almost shrugged off back then, Pillman's being a glaring and bizarre example. 

Seriously. Vince pretty much was like, "We're sorry to inform you that Brian Pillman, who was scheduled to face Goldust next, has passed away. We hope this midget match we put together at the last minute will entertain you in his absence."

48 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Andre got immediate video package/Hall of Fame induction upon death, no?

They announced the original incarnation of the HoF two months after Andre died and he was the first and only inductee. 

Pillman was my first wrestler death after becoming a fan. I remember Raw opening with Vince onstage with the roster saying, "Brian Pillman..." and thinking he was about to apologize for some wild angle with Goldust/Marlene that had generated backlash. I was completely caught off guard with what followed. 

15 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Who was the first to get the big RIP video package? Perfect?

Owen's death was the first one after Andre that I remember either WCW or WWF/E making a big deal out of.

I remember after Louie Spicolli died, Larry Z said something like, "out of respect for his family, I'm going to refrain from commenting." Basically still in "working" mode b/c he'd been feuding with Louie at the time.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:42 AM, CreativeControl said:

I always found it weird how wrestler deaths were almost shrugged off back then, Pillman's being a glaring and bizarre example. 

The one that I remember to this day is how they waited a month to announce the death of referee Joey Marella (randomly on All American Wrestling no less) because they apparently had to burn through all the matches he appeared in first.  

Rick McGraw is an obvious one since he died before his match with Roddy Piper aired.  And to this day people think Piper killed him.  Google "Did Roddy Piper" and "kill Rick McGraw" should be one of your top options.

6 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Owen's death was the first one after Andre that I remember either WCW or WWF/E making a big deal out of.

I remember after Louie Spicolli died, Larry Z said something like, "out of respect for his family, I'm going to refrain from commenting." Basically still in "working" mode b/c he'd been feuding with Louie at the time.

That was one of the most classless things I've ever seen/heard on a wrestling show. 

• Like 2

To switch gears a bit, I was watching Undertaker vs. Rey from RR 09 and Matt Striker is so gratingly annoying. You can tell King just wants to backhand him. At one point, Taker tosses Rey over the top rope and King is putting over Taker's strength and how Rey was lucky he didn't land on his head and Striker says, "that just shows the agility of Rey Mysterio!" like Rey landed on his feet. Then Striker followed that up by saying that Rey's size was actually an advantage when going up against Taker. The best part about that was as soon as he said it, Rey tried some aerial move and Taker just punched him right in the mouth and swatted him to the outside. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 8:20 PM, sydneybrown said:

The one that I remember to this day is how they waited a month to announce the death of referee Joey Marella (randomly on All American Wrestling no less) because they apparently had to burn through all the matches he appeared in first.  

Rick McGraw is an obvious one since he died before his match with Roddy Piper aired.  And to this day people think Piper killed him.  Google "Did Roddy Piper" and "kill Rick McGraw" should be one of your top options.

I actually got the ungrammatical "killed Rick McGraw", which I assume means people who think that are illiterate:

QwB3Mtg.png

Rick Steiner is so crazy over in 1988. I've always heard about the urban legend that Dusty wanted to hot shot the belt on him and fuck it, I'm with Dusty if true. Luger is popular, but is kind of lame as a face and doesn't have much more in the promo department than "You think you can beat me Flair, well look at this! *takes off shirt/flexes*

Sting was obviously going to be the guy later, but hell, capitalize on Steiner's weird charm and give him six months as champion.

*Steiner holds Big Gold directly in his own face* "Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, I won this Tony! I won this by myself!"

• Like 1

Since it appears they didn't do a WWE 24 on Mania this year - this probably serves as most of the backstage stuff (with probably some in the Goldberg one)

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 2:20 PM, cwoy2j said:

I was watching Badd Blood this morning and Vince, JR and King are really dismissive of Pillman's death. They were actually talking about how Pillman's death would affect his situation with Goldust and Marlena and shilling what's going to happen the next night on RAW. Vince announces Pillman's death and then immediately throws it to a midget match. I know we all give Vince shit for the interview with Pillman's widow but this is up there in terms of tastelessness. 

I don't think JR was dismissive. IIRC, Lawler says something about how Pillman's death will effect the Hart Foundation in their matches, and JR shoots it right down by saying Pillman's death effects all of them in a real somber tone. I can only assume JR was pretty upset about Pillman given their history going back to latter day NWA/early WCW.

I chalk up Vince and Lawler as being carny pieces of shit. While, I've heard some bad stories about JR, and how he's not the lovable country bumpkin "Good 'Ol JR", I'd like to believe he's not as big of a piece of shit as Vince and Lawler. He might be, who knows? They're all carnies in a fucked up business.

ShDwPEg.jpg?1

Rick Steiner is trying to trick the Varsity Club by posing as a wrestler named Mr. Pain. He might have accidentally given up his ruse by whispering "Shhh...it's me" to David Crockett. The headgear might also be a giveaway.

• Like 2

Revisiting the PTWs and 12/30/86...that Tito Santana/Hercules match was so much better than it had any right to be.  Such a fun match once it gets going. Even crazier is that match actually had a subtle build through the whole show.  If you literally watch that PTW from start to finish, there is an actual linear angle from the first match that picks up halfway through the show and then ends in the main event.  

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As seen in that video, here's the full match-listing for the ladder match collection:

Spoiler

Stampede Wrestling 07/27/1979 – Paving the Way
In one of the earliest Ladder Matches in history, a young Jake Roberts takes on Big Daddy Ritter.

Great American Bash 1987 – The Stakes are Raised
Dusty Rhodes and Tully Blanchard battle for a large sum of money in the first ever Barbed Wire Ladder Match.

WWE 07/21/1992 – A First for WWE
The first Ladder Match to take place in a WWE ring saw Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart reaching for the coveted Intercontinental Championship.

WrestleMania X – The Bar is Set
The bar is raised for all Ladder Matches to come when Razor Ramon and Shawn Michaels battle for the Intercontinental Title.

Souled Out 1997 – Beyond Black and White
At the New World Order’s first pay-per-view event, Syxx defends the United States Championship against Eddie Guerrero.

ECW’s House Party 1998 – A Stairway to Hell
In a Ladder Match aptly titled the ‘Stairway to Hell’, Sabu goes one-on-one with The Sandman.

SummerSlam 1998 – Two Leaders, One Championship
The rivalry between DX and The Nation comes to an end when The Rock and Triple H battle for the Intercontinental Title.

Raw 02/15/1999 – A Bitter Rivalry Ends
After months of trading the WWE Championship back and forth, The Rock and Mankind’s rivalry ends in a Ladder Match for the gold.

No Mercy 1999 – The Terri Invitational
Edge and Christian face the New Brood, Jeff and Matt Hardy, for a monetary reward and the managerial services of Terri.

WrestleMania 2000 – Triangle Ladder Match
In a battle that would become the genesis of TLC, three legendary tag teams compete for gold in a Triangle Ladder Match.

Starrcade 2000 – For a Cruiserweight Contract
Evan Karagias and Jamie Knoble face The Jung Dragons and 3 Count in this Ladder Match for a Cruiserweight Title contract.

Raw 07/01/2002 – Earning Respect
The incredible tenacity of Jeff Hardy earns him some respect when he challenges The Undertaker for the WWE Undisputed Title.

Judgment Day 2003 – The Substitute
Eddie Guerrero enlists Tajiri to fill in for Chavo Guerrero in challenging Team Angle for the WWE Tag Team Titles.

ECW 08/16/2006 – Reunited in Opposition
The former tag team duo of Rob Van Dam and Sabu meet on opposite sides of the ring in a Ladder Match for a shot at the ECW Championship.

ECW 10/24/2006 – The Whole Dam Big Show
Rob Van Dam tries to earn a contract for Big Show’s ECW Championship by taking on The World’s Largest Athlete in a Ladder Match.

Armageddon 2006 – The Gift That Keeps On Giving
Teddy Long gives the WWE Universe a special gift by turning an ordinary Tag Team Match into an unforgettable Ladder Match.

OVW 12/23/2006 – Phoenix Rises
Long before the Women’s Revolution, Beth Phoenix and Katie Lea defied convention in this epic Ladder Match for the OVW Women’s Championship.

One Night Stand 2007 – A Proving Ground
The World’s Greatest Tag Team try climbing back to the top by challenging The Hardy Boyz for the WWE Tag Team Titles.

Raw 12/10/2007 – Going Xtreme and Staying Cool
On the 15th Anniversary of Monday NightRAW, Jeff Hardy defends the Intercontinental Title in a Ladder Match against Carlito.

No Mercy 2008 – HBK Shows Y2J No Mercy
Chris Jericho’s reign as World Heavyweight Champion is threatened by Shawn Michaels in this Ladder Match for the gold.

Extreme Rules 2009 – To Rise and Fall
Jeff Hardy’s rise to glory in a Ladder Match against Edge for the World Title is followed by an unexpected fall.

TLC 2010 – Three for All
Kofi Kingston and Jack Swagger challenge Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental Championship in this memorable bout.

TLC 2012 – You Can’t See The Show-Off
Dolph Ziggler defends his Money in the Bank contract for a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship against John Cena.

NXT Arrival (2014) – NXT Arrives!
Adrian Neville and Bo Dallas let the WWE Universe know that NXT is taking over in this Ladder Match for the NXT Championship.

TLC 2014 – Triumph and Desolation
Luke Harper puts his unlikely reign as Intercontinental Champion at risk against Dolph Ziggler in a Ladder Match for the gold.

WrestleMania 31 – A Movement is Reborn
When seven WWE Superstars look to climb the ladder for the Intercontinental Championship, one man reignites a movement.

NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn (2015) – The Prize Fighter and The Demon
In one of the most exciting Ladder Matches ever, Finn Balor challenges Kevin Owens for the NXT Championship.

TLC 2015 – Reaching for the Power
The New Day puts the WWE Tag Team Titles on the line in a Triple Threat Ladder Match against The Usos and the Lucha Dragons.

WrestleMania 32 – An Unexpected Triumph
A beloved and underrated Superstar finally attains a WrestleMania moment in this Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Title.

WrestleMania 33 – The Return of Xtreme
The Hardy Boyz return to The Grandest Stage of Them All to compete for the RAW Tag Team Titles in a Fatal 4-Way Ladder Match.