DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Mid-South Kamala is kinda terrifying. Vince definitely made him more kid friendly for the WWF b/c he's like a goddamn monster in Mid-South. Reminds me of Umaga. I'm watching his match with Mike Sharpe and he's moving around like a cat and just killing Sharpe with these chops. He does the thing where he jumps up in the air and touches his toes which is really cool to see a guy his size do. 

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

So I guess the first week of 1982 Mid South is a holy grail of TV shows because not only is it not on the Network it isn't even on Youtube.   Hell can't even find a match listing on Crazy Max.  

Mid South Wrestling Volume 003 DVD Quantity in Basket: None 
Code: MSWV003DVD
Price: $19.95
Shipping Weight: 0.32 pounds

Mid-South Wrestling Episode # 121

Original Broadcast: 12/30/1981

Venue: Irish McNeil Boys Club in Shreveport, LA

Host: "Cowboy" Bill Watts 
Guest Host: Boyd Pierce 
Ring Announcer: N/A

Info: Special: "1981 Year End Highlights Show" 

• 1. "The Junk Yard Dog" & Mike George VS. Afa & Sica "The Samoan Warriors" w/Manager: "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd in "Fairgrounds Coliseum" Jackson, MS 10/15/1981    
  • 2. "The Junk Yard Dog" & Mike George VS. Paul Orndorff & Terry Orndorff    
  • 3. "The Junk Yard Dog" & Mike George VS. Paul Orndorff & Bob Roop    
  • 4. Info: Interview: "Kabuki" w/Manager: Gary Hart Info: Interview: "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes    
  • 5. Ted DiBiase VS. Paul Orndorff in "Fairgrounds Coliseum" Jackson, MS 10/15/1981    
  • 6. Ted DiBiase VS. "The Polish Prince" Ed Wiskowski then Jim Garvin VS. "The Polish Prince" Ed Wiskowski    
  • 7. Ted DiBiase VS. Paul Orndorff 

Mid-South Wrestling Episode # 123

Original Broadcast: 1/14/1982

Venue: Irish McNeil Boys Club in Shreveport, LA

Host: Boyd Pierce 
    Guest Commentator: "Cowboy" Bill Watts 
    Ring Announcer: Reesor Bowden 

• 1. "The Monk" VS. Brian Blair    
  • 2. Info: Dream Match: "Andre The Giant", "The Junk Yard Dog" & "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes VS. "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd, Afa & Sica "The Samoan Warriors"    
  • 3. "Mr. Olympia" VA. "Zapata"    
  • 4. "The Polish Prince" Ed Wiskowski VS. Tommy Wright    
  • 5. Info: Special Challenge Match: Dick Murdock VS. Bob Roop    
  • 6. Afa & Sica "The Samoan Warriors" w/Manager: "The Big Cat" Ernie Ladd VS. Frank Monte & Jesse Barr    
  • 7. Mike George VS. Bob Orton, Jr. "The Samoan Warriors" Attack Mike George then "The Junk Yard Dog" & Dusty Rhodes Come to the Rescue! Then an Interview: "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Huh so I guess that Dusty Rhodes/Kabuki contract signing and Dibase/Orndorff title match they talked about on beginning of the 1/14 show was a smokescreen.  Oh well

By the way the 1981 highlights show has the legendary Dusty Rhodes "KABUKI. Are you an assassin or an errand boy" promo on it so definitely something to check out.   

How the hell did Akbar get away with working an Arab gimmick as long as he did? I mean here's a guy who sounded more Texan than ZZ Top fucking the Dixie Chicks, not even PRETENDING to do a foreign accent, and yet he was over like gangbusters.

I love Paul Ellering as the world's most obnoxious babyface, to the point where no one tried to save him from the Iron Sheik after the Persian Clubs challenge. :D

• Like 1

I liked Miz not being afraid to look like a goofball.  They have a seemingly weird relationship, but somehow it works for them.  Alexa and Carmella was good too.  But it's hard to think much of the episode when we're getting Gallagher/Kendrick.  The kayfabe awkwardness is going to be pretty amusing.

14 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I liked Miz not being afraid to look like a goofball.  They have a seemingly weird relationship, but somehow it works for them.  Alexa and Carmella was good too.  But it's hard to think much of the episode when we're getting Gallagher/Kendrick.  The kayfabe awkwardness is going to be pretty amusing.

Neville was full blown heel but was a total face when he did Ride Along with Sami Zayn.  I don't think it's going to be a problem.  If anything, Sami came off as a bigger heel than Neville did.

On 4/11/2017 at 3:07 AM, Cristobal said:

I see you were as enthralled by this episode as I was. 

It wasn't bad but not much to really write home about.  

I am a little worried because it does seem like Gallagher and Kendrick is going to be in character and this show is usually at its best when people are not in gimmick. 

5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I am a little worried because it does seem like Gallagher and Kendrick is going to be in character and this show is usually at its best when people are not in gimmick. 

Considering all the other ones weren't in character I think I can live with one kayfabe one.  I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again.

8 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

36 hours removed and I can't remember a single thing Carmella and Alexa talked about. Miz and Maryse weren't quite that forgettable, but it still wasn't a great episode.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Considering all the other ones weren't in character I think I can live with one kayfabe one.  I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again.

The JBL/Byron/Cole episode was totally them doing it in character.  I would hope Byron isn't like that.  Of course, that is counter balanced by the all too real Charlotte/Ric ride with about 45 minutes of silence after they argue about Ric thinking she wants him to buy her new luggage.

Goldust was sort of in character for host of his.

I think a lot of the fun of Ride Along is when people have stories to tell, be it things they experienced on the road with WWE or elsewhere (indies, Japan), Alexa and Carmella have been travelling on the road... maybe 2 years at most.

On 4/14/2017 at 0:21 AM, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, PTW was updated through the end of June '87. 

It's at August now.   I know that show where the six man Bruno/Jake/Santana vs. Hart Foundation/HonkyTonkMan elimination match is coming.  I remember taping it as a kid and watching it the next morning and thinking it was the greatest idea ever.  A six man until only one team remains?  Which at the time, that match hooked me on Survivor Series.  That first PPV, if you weren't alive...you don't know.

Is there a remote chance of the supershows making the network?

And do any catch themselves wishing for All Japan on the network because "guys like Stan Hansen wrestled their for ages"?

I know both questions are quite likely to be answered with no...but I like to dream sometimes.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:21 AM, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, PTW was updated through the end of June '87. 

I'd love it if they could dig out the early ones with Jack Reynolds/Jesse Ventura. Even as a kid I dug that format with the long arena matches... so different from the squash-a-rama on their syndies.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I'd love it if they could dig out the early ones with Jack Reynolds/Jesse Ventura. Even as a kid I dug that format with the long arena matches... so different from the squash-a-rama on their syndies.

I'd rather they just put up all the old house shows like they did with 24/7, which would make the Reynolds/Ventura shows unnecessary/redundant and you would get the matches they saved for Coliseum Video comps instead of airing on Prime Time.