DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

The capitalism (HA!) may be a setting but it feels so weird. Even to me, who has a friend that wrote for years IN ALL CAPS LIKE THISSSSSSSSS YEAH and in total lower-case depending on his mood at the time. Drawing out the words for effect, misspellings, huge amounts of exclamation marks. At least that felt enthusiastic and realistic. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Brian Gewirtz blames Cody Rhodes' booboo face for screwing up The Rock vs. Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 40. It was supposed to be a kick-ass, inspiring promo about how The Rock was going to beat Roman Reigns for the title at WrestleMania 40.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/brian-gewirtz-says-cody-rhodes-220000817.html

I'm sure Gerwitz is endearing himself to management with this shit.  Of course, he's only doing this because Dwayne has his back and they only way he gets fired is if Ari get's pissed off about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Brian Gewirtz blames Cody Rhodes' booboo face for screwing up The Rock vs. Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 40. It was supposed to be a kick-ass, inspiring promo about how The Rock was going to beat Roman Reigns for the title at WrestleMania 40.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/brian-gewirtz-says-cody-rhodes-220000817.html

He probably had despondent look on his face because the promo makes no sense: "Go get 'em, Rock! I'm too much of a wimp to beat Roman but you can do it! Also my ultimate goal is to see Roman get beat up - not the world title that I have not stopped talking about since I arrived - and I can't beat him up nearly as well as a semi-retired, Hollywood actor!"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I'm impressed Gewirtz can do interviews with Rocks balls in his mouth.  Truly impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

I don't understand how that was supposed be like Nixon-Kennedy 

I don't think "Nixon-Kennedy" was an intentional thing anyone was thinking about going into that night's promo, I think Gewirtz is using it as post-mortem short-hand for "the visuals didn't match the words we wrote".

Either way, it's still really dumb that they tried that in the first place, and to their credit, they pivoted back to Cody finishing the story when it was recognized how much of a misfire the match swap was as far as fan reaction is concerned.

That said, by putting this out there, isn't Gewirtz here basically admitting that Cody is better at manipulating a 2024 WWE crowd's emotions than The Rock?

• Like 2

It's just shocking that Rock is so far up his own ass that he thought the storyline, as written, would have worked.  But that's fame for ya.  Surround yourself with yes men until you're completely out of touch and think you can do no wrong.

• Like 4

While current-day WWE is still very much not my thing, I do think the fact that they did pivot back to Cody/Roman was the first big sign that things were going to be different post-Vince. 

If he was still in charge, no way they course-correct. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

While current-day WWE is still very much not my thing, I do think the fact that they did pivot back to Cody/Roman was the first big sign that things were going to be different post-Vince. 

If he was still in charge, no way they course-correct. 

This. No wonder Cody Rhodes and the fans were pissed, myself included. In my years on the board, that was one of the most angriest I've ever seen here, myself included.

• Like 4

Baron Corbin showed up at the PBA Playoff Finals yesterday. He didn't use his thumb and crossed over on a Brooklyn shot for nine.

I'm surprised the PBA hasn't done something like what they do with NASCAR and gotten a WWE-themed crossover event going with some pros and wrestlers doing a doubles tournament.

1 hour ago, SirSmUgly said:

Baron Corbin showed up at the PBA Playoff Finals yesterday. He didn't use his thumb and crossed over on a Brooklyn shot for nine.

I'm surprised the PBA hasn't done something like what they do with NASCAR and gotten a WWE-themed crossover event going with some pros and wrestlers doing a doubles tournament.

I was at a friend's house and see not only Corbin but JD McDonaugh sitting in the crowd.  I thought they were just there since a WWE replica title was a prize but he said JD does bowling.  So unless my friend was mistaken (not the first or last time) it kind of surprised me to find that out.

But over at AEW there's JD Drake who has been trying to go pro and he sounds like a darn good bowler.  So as odd as this sounds I kind of want to see a battle of the JDs where they represent each company and the prize goes to charity.  Will it come close to happening?  Likely not, but that would be neat to see.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Log said:

Of course JD Drake is a great bowler. I mean, I don't ever have to see him roll a ball and I totally believe that.

I had this great idea to put Rebel with the Workhorsemen dressed like she was on a bowling team in order to get them a bunch of heat and no one wanted to hear it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So as odd as this sounds I kind of want to see a battle of the JDs where they represent each company and the prize goes to charity.  Will it come close to happening?  Likely not, but that would be neat to see.

I may be misremembering some of the details, but maybe ten or so years ago I think they did a New Day vs The Elite thing where they faced off in a competitive video game tournament at one of those big conventions - so something like that may not be entirely out of the realm of possibility (and the charity idea is really nice, too - can't remember if theirs was or not)

• Like 1

That was when The Elite were still in NJPW/ ROH though. The landscape changed after January 1st 2019.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I may be misremembering some of the details, but maybe ten or so years ago I think they did a New Day vs The Elite thing where they faced off in a competitive video game tournament at one of those big conventions - so something like that may not be entirely out of the realm of possibility (and the charity idea is really nice, too - can't remember if theirs was or not)

Yeah, that was before AEW but both when it occurred and now I'm just in disbelief at something like this happening.

Spoiler

For starters while it was just a Youtube clip WWE recognizing Omega/Bucks on their page was insane enough.  For all I know it might have been on their site too but I'm not looking it up at this time.

Spoiler

Then there's the actual event with the chat replay still intact from then.  Going throughout it was a mix of SF talk, pro WWE/Elite and largely a sense of "How is this happening?!"  I might rewatch this at some point for giggles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But over at AEW there's JD Drake who has been trying to go pro and he sounds like a darn good bowler.  So as odd as this sounds I kind of want to see a battle of the JDs where they represent each company and the prize goes to charity.

My interest in this would be very dependent on how many JDStars alums they could pull. Arisa Nakajima picking up a clutch 1-pin spare and such.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Professional wrestling should be banned forever.

I do honestly wonder why my mind said "eh, hitting that box underneath probably hurt more", instead of just saying "ow".

I’m shocked a barbed wire trampoline actually worked. 

The other things I’m trying to figure out are WTF is on the back of the dude’s head and if he broke his leg or arm or both.

Anyway, JJSB has a new wild thing to use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The barbed wire trampoline is actually a rather old invention from the BJPW (now BJW) Circus death match that Matsunaga brainstormed up. But when Yamakawa got powerbombed into it, he did NOT bounce like that. And Matsunaga being Matsunaga, the nutter immediately did a rolling senton off the scaffold onto him where he landed right on his back on the wire. And wasn't wearing a shirt. After that, they cut the wire and just brawled all over; the wire was in a big ball for them to fall into I think.

The craziest spot though was either in that or a different scaffold match where Yamakawa was powerbombed onto two unbreakable Japanese tiny tables and the angle he hit was horrifying. He basically hit on his shoulder and FACE from the scaffold.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

They've done Barbed Wire trampolines in IWA Mid-South and even Prestige Wrestling recently. Like when Danger Ehren from Jackass had his 'match' in Prestige*, there was a barbed wire trampoline bump in that.

* Early in the match, he pulled a cooler from under the ring as a weapon, and opened it to reveal a fullgrown actual wrestler, who then proceeded to do almost all of the actual wrestling in the match (despite technically being an international object).

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1