DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

On 5/15/2024 at 2:49 AM, John E. Dynamite said:

i bought a bag of those fancy gummi bears and long story short I find it necessary to remark on my concerns regarding the current state of lucharesu

I meant to check back up on Dragon Gate after CIMA left (I am inexplicably anti-CIMA) but never got around to it. I know they're always sneaky successful with the non-Tokyo set and the female fanbase but I don't hear any hype these days. MPro has been something else for awhile, Osaka Pro's dead, I think Toryumon Mexico got killed by COVID, there aren't any HUSTLE undercards, the post-DG Ultimo trainees seem scattered to the winds, the crossover NJPW/CMLL stuff reads as an entirely different genre, and CHIKARA didn't fall from grace so much as swan dive. But that's just the thing - if a bunch of noise punks from Eastern PA and their idiot dork dad could slap some masks on and create an approximation of lucharesu that was relevant for years and years + created some very real TV stars, why can't anybody else figure it out? Why can't anybody else even attempt it? Or do I not know where to look?

Osaka Pro is actually really fun right now! Not as wacky as it once was but still some very enjoyable pro wrestling. 

• Like 1

I just rewatched the Survivor Series Main Event and... that was a goddammit hot match! There was energy from everybody in that match. Even Andre was kinda spry. They protected Hogan and Andre's team of big men brought their A game.

No one really talks about this match and I wonder why

James

• Like 9

Inspired by what I posted in a “wrestling not from the now” thread:

a wrestler who insists that he doesn’t do a belly to belly suplex because he doesn’t have a belly because he’s so fit, insisting it’s a body to body suplex. Like if Rick Rude was doing the Belly to Belly as a finish instead of the Neckbreaker

Posting this I watched some 1985 WWF where they used the term “body to body suplex” instead of belly to belly

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 4:51 PM, J.H. said:

I just rewatched the Survivor Series Main Event and... that was a goddammit hot match! There was energy from everybody in that match. Even Andre was kinda spry. They protected Hogan and Andre's team of big men brought their A game.

James

I love Bam Bam Bigelow going up against King Kong Bundy, One Man Gang, and Andre. After Bam Bam eliminates Bundy and the Gang, you really believe he had a real chance at beating Andre. At least, seven year old me did. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

I love this match, and I was there! The wrestlers really picked up on the atmosphere in the arena, and it was great to see Andre win at the end.

• Like 6

It's probably not an ideal night for viewership, but I'd love if one of these years, the Thanksgiving Eve Dynamite had a couple of 4v4 or 5v5 tags on top (they did it one year but it wasn't Survivor rules) - with enough hype, it might do a good live gate to make it worth the effort, even if the TV numbers won't necessarily reflect it. Maybe throw in like, Blood and Guts as a sweetener (and in keeping with the whole 'Legally Definitely Not Survivor Series' theme)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's probably not an ideal night for viewership, but I'd love if one of these years, the Thanksgiving Eve Dynamite had a couple of 4v4 or 5v5 tags on top (they did it one year but it wasn't Survivor rules) - with enough hype, it might do a good live gate to make it worth the effort, even if the TV numbers won't necessarily reflect it. Maybe throw in like, Blood and Guts as a sweetener (and in keeping with the whole 'Legally Definitely Not Survivor Series' theme)

I love it.  Call it “The Survival Sessions!”  

• Haha 1

Do you suppose WWE has let the trademark lapse on "Where teams of five strive to survive!"?

• Like 2

They should mix the two match types and have 4v4 and 5v5 elimination tags in a cage. That would definitely make it a legally different match type.

They just need a name for the show. Maybe something like "Elimination Chamber."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

GCW (technically JCW - it was on YouTube, not Fite) did a Thanksgiving special called Series of Survivals a couple of years ago. It's probably still in the 2021 matches thread.

• Like 1

I'd say 4 vs 4 Elimination tags (done by "random drawing") , then end of show battle royal with the survivors, winner gets last entry into Continental Classic.

That could be a fun show- we'd know 11 folks wouldn't be on the show (the Champ and top 10 contenders who entered the Classic)

• Like 2

Problem with the “AEW Survivor Series” concept is there’s a good chance the naming of it would need to include gambling terminology since “Dudebros playing Texas Hold ‘Em” is their early, outdated and tired aesthetic that they’re still married to.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, The Natural said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/gunther-more-than-up-for-future-wwe-match-against-brock-lesnar/

I don't think Gunther vs. Brock Lesnar will ever happen in light of what happened at the start of 2024. That was a dream match of mine for years even though Lesnar phoned some things in and the stale Suplex City routine.

Hunter did say that Brock is not out of the company so it still could happen if Brock wants to come back. It's probably up to how open Brock is to working in a WWE that isn't  run by Vince 

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I love it.  Call it “The Survival Sessions!”  

When I was writing up the promotional materials for groups I worked with on the indies, I just called it "Ultimate Survivor" elimination match. People figured out pretty quick it was a Survivor Series match. 

"Royal Rumble" was harder to get around. The NWA promotion in Pittsburgh actually stumbled into some great branding that caught on for it - "Burgh Brawl".  Everyone knew it was a Royal Rumble.

• Like 3