DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: the Vordell Walker thing, I meant because I can't watch the footage, what specifically happened. Like what did Rick pull and what did Vordell respond with. Also, this was in a tag match, right, with Dustin and some other guy? How did they respond?

@AxBposted this Xitter link above and having never heard this one before, I thought it was a great summary:

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@AxBposted this Xitter link above and having never heard this one before, I thought it was a great summary:

One of FTR's in the comments saying that Vordell slept Rick in a different incident. This is Xitter, but I am reasonably sure it's FTR Hair himself and not a dummy account.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: the Vordell Walker thing, I meant because I can't watch the footage, what specifically happened. Like what did Rick pull and what did Vordell respond with. Also, this was in a tag match, right, with Dustin and some other guy? How did they respond?

Rick shoot punched Vordell and Vordell start hitting him back.

Dustin Rhodes and yea some other guy were in the match.

Next time i'm at a show with Vordell I plan on asking him about this and filming his reponse.

I know this Vordell is 40 something and in better shape than most people half his age. Watched him one time catch a pre-WWE Keith Lee doing a Hurricanrana,started running with lee on his shoulders and then converted it into a powerbomb.

Saw Vordell and Tim Storm have a street fight that broke a metal door off the hinges and almost crushed the promoter's car with the door.

Supposedly the only guy in the deep south indies that Vordell wouldn't want to fight is Wade Garrett in his prime.

No not that Wade Garrett,this is a retireedd MS indie guy.

Shit let me find that video....

https://youtu.be/2leVexTg7as?si=DMC3WL4Ki75ym_f1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wade Barrett, different guy obv. haha

I tried clicking on that Tweet but it wouldn't let me look at the rest of the message, just that paragraph. Twitter is a fuck for me a lot because I'm not on it. Fuck Elon and his stupid hateful platform, though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Wade Barrett, different guy obv. haha

I tried clicking on that Tweet but it wouldn't let me look at the rest of the message, just that paragraph. Twitter is a fuck for me a lot because I'm not on it. Fuck Elon and his stupid hateful platform, though. 

Wade Garrett was also Sam Elliot's name in Road House.

Pretty sure that is where Wade Garrett the MS indie dude got the name. Cause his real name is county as fuck.

• Like 1

Ok yall might be able to help me.

I got right at 20 DVD-rs from 2007-2009 that are full MS indie shows from that era. 

Tried using handbrake to rip one and 3 attempts it has multiple errors. 

Is there another program that will rip a dvd and is either free or  cheap?

It is odd the dvd it wont rip I have played on multiple DVD players and it worked all the way through.

Worst case I will set up my camera mount and aim it at the tv and rip this stuff that way. Still rather have a better high quality copy up.

• Like 1

So I stopped watching mainstream US wrestling when the women wrestlers were Lita and Trish Stratus, etc. Was there a single thing (or a few things) that happened that turned women’s wrestling  more respectable and mainstream?  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Control said:

So I stopped watching mainstream US wrestling when the women wrestlers were Lita and Trish Stratus, etc. Was there a single thing (or a few things) that happened that turned women’s wrestling  more respectable and mainstream?  

The two of them main eventing a Raw was a pretty big deal.

Edited by PetrolCB

18 minutes ago, Control said:

The knockouts in TNA started to be a bigger draw with Awesome Kong, Gail Kim, Mickie, etc. HHH started to let women in do more in NXT when he turned it into a developmental show/system. And then 3 of the 4 NXT Horsewomen moved up (Charlotte, Mercedes, Becky) and had good matches. The last bit to cement it is arguably Rousey coming in which led to the Evolution PPV and Wrestlemania main event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The Bellas would insist it started with them. 😀

To be fair they did help as their open and straight forward comments about not understanding why any woman in NXT would want to move up to the main roster given the differences in booking actually did lead to the fan movement that pushed WWE do more with women on the main roster. They were an important piece even if small. I mostly left that and various other little things out just to keep that post small and simple.

Edited by Eivion

Posted (edited)

There was a surprising (to some) amount of viewers of Total Divas that got women to go to the shows. So along with the strides the company made I feel the show and the Bellas in particular might deserve more credit than they've been given. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Control said:

Well you see Stephanie McMahon started the women's revolution and...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Bellas did start it. Hashtag Give Divas a Chance was started by Nikki Bella and her superfans. WWE is trying to change the narrative and retroactively make the Bellas themselves the faces of the era that they fought against.

Now obviously in the early 2010s, when they were green as hell but on TV every week, those three minute matches where the ring entrances took longer, that was about the limit of what the Bellas could do. But Nikki especially put in a huge amount of hard work, for year after year, to get herself in better shape and get better in the ring. And WWE kept keeping her in those 3 minute matches, even once she was good enough to carry a green opponent to a good 12 minute match.

Now the NXT generation that came up after the Bellas, some of them had experience on the indies, and all of them had much stronger foundational training than the Bellas had had when they were brand new. But the idea that Paige was some super talented superworker who showed up and put Nikki to shame is nonsense.

It's bizarre how Trish Stratus, who was also put on TV when she was too green to have a good TV match gets all of this credit for improving to the point that she became a really good worker, but the Bellas aren't given the same respect. Especially when the WWE in particular isn't short of having Women wrestlers out there who don't make that effort to improve (or if they do, it doesn't work). Eva Marie would probably be an obvious example. And people love to bring up Nia Jax being an unsafe worker, who would injure opponents and not seem bothered about changing up to a safer style. There's another example of a big star who isn't too safe, but mentioning her name with anything other than the most glowing praise would drive a certain overattached DVDVR poster to get all furious and indignant about it, so let's not do that.

But, y'know, if you watch the Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano matches from 95, those were good matches that the fans were into. They weren't at the level of most of Bull's AJW matches from years earlier, but the mainstream American fans didn't know that at the time (we did; They didn't). The WWF could have had a strong women's division from that point onwards, if they'd wanted. It's not like there weren't any talented women's wrestlers in the world in 1998. But someone in the company took Medusa jumping to WCW so personally, they devalued a whole division for an entire generation.

If the Sunny and Sable era had had a few good women's wrestlers mixed in, and that had driven the Attitude Era girls to become decent workers too, the perception of women's wrestling might never have needed to be corrected. But then the Attitude Era was the home of shit wrestling, so whatever. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, username said:

Well you see Stephanie McMahon started the women's revolution and...

And then they had a show called Women’s Evolution, like Steph is a Pokémon Trainer or the High Evolutionary.

• Haha 1

Co-signing the folks saying the Bellas deserve more credit. Total Divas was part of it, but as AxB said, if it wasn't for their fans getting utterly furious about the short amount of time they were getting, then they wouldn't have started #GiveDivasAChance.

Also, Nikki Bella is a spectacularly underrated worker. Considering like 90% of her work is in sub-3 minute matches where you go out, hit your spots, and leave, she's got some tremendous matches. Her carrying Ronda Rousey like a suitcase is the most clear example that she's a lot better than people give her credit for, but her 2015 series against Charlotte and her 2016 series against Natalya (especially the falls count anywhere match) should be your first points to revisit if you want to see how good she actually was in the ring. If Nikki came along now instead of 15 years ago, she'd fit in perfectly.

Brie, on the other hand, is at best mediocre.

• Like 7

Brie showed in that Ronda match that she really should have been just a manager. Her just managing Nikki and pulling occasional twin magic bs against faces would have been a good direction in a division management gave a damn about.

On 5/21/2024 at 12:46 PM, SirSmUgly said:

OK, who is your favorite wrestler solely because of their gimmick(s)? Not because of their in-ring or mic work. Just going off "they're terrible, but I loved their gimmick(s)."

I ask this because in the past few months, I've seen quite a bit of Charles Wright as Papa Shango, NoD Kama, and the Godfather, and I was overjoyed to see him pop up on my screen each time even though he is absolutely terrible. 

The Gambler! A one note gimmick and I loved it every time he popped up on a C show.

On 5/21/2024 at 2:49 PM, caley said:

I'll be honest I don't remember where I saw him or in what context, and I've never sought out any of his earlier matches, but the few times I saw Takashi Iizuka staggering around with the metal glove and...dog collar (!??) brawling into the crowd,  I was totally all-in. From what I gleaned at the time, the general consensus was that he was terrible and ruined a lot of matches, but I absolutely loved the gimmick 

He had an injury which caused him to go to the gimmick since he couldn't work like he used to. But yeah, I love him too and he's a fun character in FirePro.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Just remembered when the Bellas did a twin magic finish after Nikki got breast implants, which, in theory, should make it harder to do that finish

I remember the time they did it and after the match Brie was taking tissue out of her chest 🤣

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Give me that kind of absurdity any day. I have strong opinions about former WWF/WCW/WWE Champion Terry Bollea which you should PM me about. But I wanted to express them here too because I can't help myself forever, but the whole Mr. America thing was legitimately great. 

Edit: wonderful framistan!

Edited by Coletti
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1