DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

I didn’t see Mr America or Koko but there was definitely something great about those kinds of mask gimmicks. I know not too many people liked Brian Pillman as The Yellow Dog but it was amazing to me at the time, and all the other young fans. I can only imagine how great the others were years earlier.

• Like 1

Little kids love any wrestler that has facepaint or wears a mask. When my son was under 10, if I tried to watch any wrestling with him, he'd just get bored and zone out, unless someone in the ring was masked or painted. Then he'd be glued to it.

• Like 5

On 5/24/2024 at 10:11 PM, Eivion said:

To be fair they did help as their open and straight forward comments about not understanding why any woman in NXT would want to move up to the main roster given the differences in booking actually did lead to the fan movement that pushed WWE do more with women on the main roster.

But, wasn't all this happening while TNA had Gail Kim vs Awesome King main eventing their show? while also having Sarita, ODB, Taylor Wilde, the Beautiful people, etc all working standard television length matches on a regular basis?

For all the LOLTNA narrative over the years, they just do not get enough credit for the women's revolution. The Divas in WWE saw what was going on in TNA and it put pressure of the office to do something more with their own women.

• Like 10

TNA and the independents after years of Japanese influence. WWE made it mainstream, though, but thinking they started it is like thinking Green Day started punk music. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nikki Bella threw a mean forearm.

I watched TNA almost solely for the women's division. I was not feeling modern wrestling in the late aughts/early tens, but Kong/Kim and Kong/Wilde were must-see feuds for me.

Looking at a program from the “Island Fest” that happened here this weekend

oh okay, “Siva Afi showcase” is about Samoan fire knife dancing, not about the wrestler.

Although around here, I always heard “Polynesian” to describe the local Pacific Islander population that was probably mostly Samoan. No idea if the rumor of “The Rock hangs out at this kids house when the WWF is in town” had any merit but there were a lot of Samoans here (a lot compared to anywhere east of Utah)

Posted (edited)

Gail Kim's career is very instructive in terms of how WWE treated the women, as compared to TNA. She started in WWE, having 3 minute matches and being just a pretty face. Went to TNA, was able to have 20 minute matches and main event PPVs. Went back to WWE with all of this momentum and buzz, and was immediately put back in those three minute matches. Eliminated from a Battle Royal in 5 seconds. Went back to TNA, and was straight back into the longer, better matches. So anyone who's been following her whole career, they'll tell you she's a really good wrestler who WWE wasted. Anyone who is a "WWE ONLY" lifer, they'll tell you she never had a good match in her whole career.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

But, wasn't all this happening while TNA had Gail Kim vs Awesome King main eventing their show? while also having Sarita, ODB, Taylor Wilde, the Beautiful people, etc all working standard television length matches on a regular basis?

For all the LOLTNA narrative over the years, they just do not get enough credit for the women's revolution. The Divas in WWE saw what was going on in TNA and it put pressure of the office to do something more with their own women.

I already mentioned TNA being a part of the mainstream acceptance process. That said, the women in WWE seemed more affected by the push and success of the women in NXT than they were by TNA. The pressure on the office came from that and fans who most likely never watched TNA pushing the GiveDivasAChance hashtag. 

Posted (edited)

And the women’s pushing was largely due to Dutch. Gail was just on his show and they discussed some of the stuff mentioned above. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 5

On 5/25/2024 at 3:25 PM, odessasteps said:

Hey,  if Koko can get away with being a masked Killer Bee ....

Not quite the same, but remember Andre being the Giant Machine, as if there was anyone else in the world of wrestling built like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Not quite the same, but remember Andre being the Giant Machine, as if there was anyone else in the world of wrestling built like that.

It could have been Baba!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Little kids love any wrestler that has facepaint or wears a mask. When my son was under 10, if I tried to watch any wrestling with him, he'd just get bored and zone out, unless someone in the ring was masked or painted. Then he'd be glued to it.

That is why for years at shows while filming and vending I wore a Ultimo Guerrero mask. Kids would want to come by the table to see the tall guy in a mask. And usually want to buy something.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I watched TNA almost solely for the women's division. I was not feeling modern wrestling in the late aughts/early tens, but Kong/Kim and Kong/Wilde were must-see feuds for me.

I thought they even had a decent women’s tag team division. Yeah you still had a bunch of teams of two singles guys being put together but you got the sense that they really wanted to make the work. The WWEs women’s tag division they still haven’t made a serious effort in to it like they should. They go through phases like right now were they have a team that people can take serious but most the time it’s just two women put together just to put a belt on them because they’re aren’t ready to put the women’s title on them. Even Sasha and Naomi leaving was in some way because WWE didn’t even see it as important as they did. It seemed like a lot of women were pushing to have tag titles for the Women and WWE don’t even look at it as big of a deal as they could be.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I thought they even had a decent women’s tag team division. Yeah you still had a bunch of teams of two singles guys being put together but you got the sense that they really wanted to make the work. The WWEs women’s tag division they still haven’t made a serious effort in to it like they should. They go through phases like right now were they have a team that people can take serious but most the time it’s just two women put together just to put a belt on them because they’re aren’t ready to put the women’s title on them. Even Sasha and Naomi leaving was in some way because WWE didn’t even see it as important as they did. It seemed like a lot of women were pushing to have tag titles for the Women and WWE don’t even look at it as big of a deal as they could be.

Trying to recall weren't Sasha/Bayley and the Bellas begging for tag titles for years?

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

Trying to recall weren't Sasha/Bayley and the Bellas begging for tag titles for years?

Yes, but a lot of the other women were ready for it as well. I believe the could’ve had a stronger division starting out besides the IICONICS and Bayley and Sasha. There’s been a lot of times in the past 5 years where I’m barely paying attention to the product and I see they put the titles on to women I didn’t understand why they were together.

• Like 1

Cope is lucky if it was only the broken tibia and it might not be career ending, although at 50 it probably should be, or at least the completion of his bump card.