DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/3/2023

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

It's good to see Shida back, I legit thought she was going to turn heel for a second. Willow needs to wrestle and win more.

The Shida thing is cool but I am a little disappointed that Willow doesn't seem to be involved in the feud anymore.

Adam Cole winning and then immediately going to jump Jericho was a well-executed bit.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Only thing I remember is the really good Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch in Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley marred by one of the biggest fuck ups ever and Sting's first match in 6 years. It's a well done cinematic one, a Street Fight teaming with Darby Allin vs. Ricky Starks/Brian Cage. That's it. What PPV have you seen again?

It's easier to list the ones I have not seen yet.

They are All Out 2019, All Out 2020, Double or Nothing 2019, Revolution 2021. I think that is all. Since Revolution 2019 doesn't exist and so on... Everything else, I think I have.

I thought last night's show was really well-booked and laid out, just a great balance of in-ring action and story-telling, backstage promos, and an all-timer of a vignette.

Only real issue with the 8-man was not having room for Bandido to do his thing. I LOl'd when Taz said that OC looks like Jake Hager's mini-me. 2.0 did quality stooging, Garcia and Strong had some moments, OC was excellent FiP, Cole was protected but was able to advance his storyline with Jericho. Not a MotN candidate but quality blend of action and angles.

BCC promo kicked ass, Bryan didn't say Amateur as a bonus.

Willow-Saraya was pretty much what I thought. Willow is over. Saraya isn't. The Shida swerve felt a little like the later days of the NWO but she's credible. I guess Hayter is able to at least scrap some.

HoB Pure rules trios promo was interesting. My wife was very curious about Julia Hart, so I said "she's that meme with the cheerleader who listens to Joy Division once"

Trios de Mayo was ok, definitely established the pecking order for the most part (poor Hobbs). I am intrigued by Lucha Bros and HdVikingo as a trios, although a Fenix-Vikingo match sounds more fun. Acclaimed vs HoB is definitely a styles clash.

Kenny really didn't need to say anything after Callis, because he isn't up to that level of promo.

Starks-Juice was good, and a clean pin was a nice surprise!

The Chicken farm vignette was one of the greatest wrestling vignettes I've ever seen. Weird and hilarious while also doing a lot to move several angles along. Only issue is that Satnam is now firmly a gentle giant, that kid was so super chill in his giant mitts.

Main was another example of a good match that also succeeded in telling multiple stories and moving the angle along.

Teared up when I first saw the DEAN sign. I paused and explained it all to my wife and had a hard time not choking up a little.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, just drew said:

Yeah, but a steel cage isn’t supposed to have weapons. Kenny’s presented as a prodigious athlete/worker, but a steel cage is a bad fit for his character. What’s he gonna do to Mox that Mox won’t do to himself? 

Eh, it's wrestling. If Ric Flair can beat Vader in a cage, Kenny can beat Mox no problem.

Also, I hope Pac isn't hurt because I need him to challenge Vikingo for unceremoniously taking his spot in Death Triangle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Also, I hope Pac isn't hurt because I need him to challenge Vikingo for unceremoniously taking his spot in Death Triangle.

His absences have been regular enough that I don't wonder if he has a deal where he works for a few months then gets to fuck off back to England for a little bit.

Two random things about the Briscoe segment-

1.  Is the chicken farm actually called Dem Birds?  

2.  I think the wrestletalk review pointed out Jeff was going to sing with my baby tonight with an actual baby.

• Like 5

A lot of the UK/ foreign in general wrestlers sidestep Visa issues by living in the USA permanently (or by marrying an American person). PAC going back and forth seems to be more of a problem for them. Shida and Riho have similar lengthy disappearances.

• Like 1

I've been pretty lucky in regards to Dynamite tapings, particularly with Dynamite #1 and both Grand Slams, but this was a great night of live wrestling. Breezed right by. The matches were more than satisfactory and I don't know if I've ever seen every non-wrestling segment click like that over one episode. This is what the Baltimore/DMV market needed, the last two Baltimore Dynamites are the 9th and 19th lowest-rated Dynamites of all time per cagematch score and they OWED us a good one. Probably scared some people off but at least they had the nerve to run the big arena. Crowd was very willing to play along with face/heel stuff and chants were getting started easy. Good vibes all around. Opener was that classic AEW multiman good stuff. Main was exactly what you wanted it to be - face/heel formula with modern workrate guys, tons of character moments and (since the finish was so obvious) a sense of "how are they gonna get there?" as opposed to "who is gonna win?". It's like the Columbo thing. It isn't a whodunnit, it's a howcatchem.

On the subject of the gigantic DEAN sign... like I was saying to Niko at the show, I wasn't even planning on going to this before Tuesday night. When the bad news hit I decided then and there I'd probably find comfort going to Dynamite (once again, DEAN puts me in front of good wrestling). I found those seats dirt-cheap relative to the rest of the section, and I figured if I was gonna be that dead-center on TV I might as well fly the good flag. The posterboard was purchased last-minute from the Rite Aid across from my store and was finished maybe 15 minutes before I left for the show. I have never brought a sign to a show in my life. I was trying to be all tasteful by watching the hard cam lights and mainly bringing it out during entrances and exits. I didn't realize resting it in front of my knees made it visible on TV *all night long*. And I forget how tall I am, and didn't realize just dangling the thing over the rails was like, a perfect way to hold it. But I saw the love here and on Twitter so you might see me getting ferklempt at some point during the Saraya/Willow match.

PS - the nice lady sitting next to me lurks through all your topics so you better always be posting like gentlemen.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 11

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Starks vs Knife Pervert is going to rule. Those two seem like they're made for each other.

The only problem, to me, is that neither of them should be losing a big match right now.

Maybe the match will be so good that the loser doesn't suffer too much?  Or do a kind of quick rollup finish to give it a "could've gone either way" feel?

17 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

The only problem, to me, is that neither of them should be losing a big match right now.

Maybe the match will be so good that the loser doesn't suffer too much?  Or do a kind of quick rollup finish to give it a "could've gone either way" feel?

I think Starks could afford the loss. He damn near squashed Juice...no pun intended, well, maybe slightly intended...last night. Ultimately, you need to build to Kenny vs Switchblade and Starks is a good enough babyface to position the loss as a setback they'll come back from.

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

PS - the nice lady sitting next to me lurks through all your topics so you better always be posting like gentlemen

So you are saying that I have already made a horrible first impression.  Damn.

I had to laugh a little bit during the Wardlow segment.  It is not an open challenge if you call somebody out.

• Haha 1

I was honestly moved seeing the “Dean” sign in the crowd.  It made the world a bit… smaller?  I’m reaching for the exact word.  

Shout out to the write up man Dean who had me lurking around here long before I posted with any regularity.  Get well soon, sir.

Someone else said earlier that Dean was a reason he had seen a lot of awesome wrestling.  Concur.  

Good show.  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, FourPostMassacre said:

Jay White needs to put the beard on the line in a match. Every time he shows up I am like damn Pac got lifts and isn’t as shredded as usual. 

Isn't his hair way too nice and tidy to be confused with PAC, come to think of it, his facial hair, too?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Brandon Bones said:

I was honestly moved seeing the “Dean” sign in the crowd.  It made the world a bit… smaller?  I’m reaching for the exact word.  

Even Cindy popped for the sign when I pointed it out to her. We were both laughing at John constantly being denied by the camera switching away during the battle royal... and then she recognized no one was holding their signs up because they were too busy watching the match.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

On the subject of the gigantic DEAN sign... like I was saying to Niko at the show, I wasn't even planning on going to this before Tuesday night. When the bad news hit I decided then and there I'd probably find comfort going to Dynamite (once again, DEAN puts me in front of good wrestling). I found those seats dirt-cheap relative to the rest of the section, and I figured if I was gonna be that dead-center on TV I might as well fly the good flag. The posterboard was purchased last-minute from the Rite Aid across from my store and was finished maybe 15 minutes before I left for the show. I have never brought a sign to a show in my life. I was trying to be all tasteful by watching the hard cam lights and mainly bringing it out during entrances and exits. I didn't realize resting it in front of my knees made it visible on TV *all night long*. And I forget how tall I am, and didn't realize just dangling the thing over the rails was like, a perfect way to hold it. But I saw the love here and on Twitter so you might see me getting ferklempt at some point during the Saraya/Willow match.

This was another thoroughly enjoyable episode, but the highlight was by far and away seeing that DEAN sign. Thank you!

Loved the opening 8 man. Everybody was great. Jericho mentioning Hager looking like OC was spot on. They should totally run back a singles match between the two with Hager in full OC mode. Nice debut from Roddy. Everybody looked good. My mind drifts to Dean's Secret great worker pick. The post match was absolutely fantastic. Jericho at his best. Fair promo from Jack n Darb. Fucking awesome promo from the BCC. I like to think that Danielson shittalk could lead to some Bret loyalists taking issue at some point. I dug Saraya-Willow, and the fun post match shenanigans. Don't worry for Willow, she's got aim on Athena's silver. I skipped the House of Black promo for old times sake. Skipped most of the Battle Royal. I wish if they MUST book Battle Royals that they were at least Rumble rules. I only caught the end. I assumed we were getting an Acclaimed charge at the trios titles. Again, hope Daddy gets an 'injury' to make room for say, again, AR Fox?!! Sammy and MJF are a golden duo. Awesome promo from Don. Kenny was good here too. Almost kinda sorta wanting to make the trip to Detroit for that show. And then... another Wardlow squash to skim passed. I'm not complaining as I watch before work and sometimes need to move things along. But really, am i way off in thinking Wardlow fighting job guys feels like he's ducking the obvious competition? I mean if Arn says as much because he's a heel strategist then kudos, but uh, Really(!), nobody other than Lash Laroux Logan-whatever wants a title match? God bless Christian. What a fucking treasure he is! Briscoe Family Farm seg seems to have admirably captured the imaginations of the board viewers and beyond. Mark's can't-miss-all-around-awesome act is gonna make him a real player in a short time. I'm stoked for JJJ-FTR! Anybody catch Meltzer's misreading of what Papa Briscoe said at the end? Uh Dave, if you were right, um, ah, there might be a bit of an issue. Juice v Starks was really good with a bit of a skim. Juice's ring wardrobe is really something. Truly awful, but ya gotta respect his commitment to whatever the fuck he comes up with. Ugh, not down with backstage sketches, but I appreciate AEW's commitment to making them non-magic camera, see Jungle Boy acknowleging the cam prior to MJF's stage left entrance. That said, this made sense and worked to add to the babyface dissension, so, alright. Dug the Pillars tag main event. The three matches (this, JB-Sammy and the criminally underrated Sammy-Darby) building to this 4 way have all been really good. I'm game for a 4 way which is not a sentiment I generally feel. Really dug the finish here. Darby is incredible! I can't imagine Dean wouldn't have loved this show, and believed that this promotion still rules the motherfucking world! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This was a good show last night. I missed the opening match, but saw everything else on from it. The highlight of the night was Jarrett and company at The Briscoe farm. On the DVDVR Twitter there was the Silo Satnam name that was hilarious. I personally would have went with Haystacks Singh.

Saraya and Willow had a really good match. I was impressed with the old double swerve from Shida. I mean AEW doesn't do anything with her so storyline wise I could have seen her betraying the originals. Ah well I'm happy anytime she's on tv.

The main event was really good. I loved Sammy and MJF's bromance disintegrating over who should get the pin. Darby being all I'm doing my move whether you move or not was great at the end for the win.

• Like 2

Seeing Cole go after Jericho then cutting to the hard men of The BCC made me realize just how much I don’t buy cole.

I loved Darby in the main event especially the bit with the scarf. He can work any style

And thank goodness QT got his entranced televised 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

His absences have been regular enough that I don't wonder if he has a deal where he works for a few months then gets to fuck off back to England for a little bit.

Maybe? He was pretty consistent in appearances last year for AEW once May hit, up until they dropped the trio titles to The Elite. He's wrestled twice for OTT in March and that's been it for him. He's a pretty private guy so we're not going to get too much info from him on what's going on.

22 hours ago, Craig H said:

Starks vs Knife Pervert is going to rule. Those two seem like they're made for each other.

I really want to see that headline a Dynamite instead of being stuck in the middle of the PPV.  I might even consider saving it for the Owen as a first-round match that can main event and then giving it nearly the full 20.   Fans need a good long Jay White match to see how good he is I think.  I'd also consider it as a final for the Owen.

• Like 3

That's a hell of an idea to save it for the Owen and to feature it as a main event match. Both guys are main event worthy non-title holders right now.

• Like 3