DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

If this were a one off Takeover Special at the same arena and held a month ago or in a month from now, I don't think it would've sold out. It being SummerSlam weekend, people who are already in town for SummerSlam are making a weekend of it and going to both shows. But people wouldn't have flown in from all over just for the NXT show. So it was a very smart move by WWE to do it this way. It makes NXT look like a huge deal for selling out a large arena. It will look great on TV. But let's not fool ourselves in to thinking it would've done this well all on it's own.

I want them to bring back CJ Parker for one night so he can do the job for Crews at Takeover. It's practically tradition.

CJ Parker just announced his outright retirement from pro wrestling as a whole. His last match will be at the end of the month. Too bad it didn't work out for him.

If this were a one off Takeover Special at the same arena and held a month ago or in a month from now, I don't think it would've sold out. It being SummerSlam weekend, people who are already in town for SummerSlam are making a weekend of it and going to both shows. But people wouldn't have flown in from all over just for the NXT show. So it was a very smart move by WWE to do it this way. It makes NXT look like a huge deal for selling out a large arena. It will look great on TV. But let's not fool ourselves in to thinking it would've done this well all on it's own.

I've seen more KO shirts around Brooklyn than any wrestling shirt in the eight years I've lived up here. I think it still would have.

Watching the most recent episode. Is Baron Corbin the worst Goldberg ever or am I misreading? 

• Prince Devitt vs Kevin Steen.
  • Main event.
  • In WWE.
  • Sellout crowd.
  • In an NBA arena.

Seriously, how much money could you have if you laid down odds on any combination of that shit 5 years ago? Hell, 2 years ago?

Probably refereed by Drake Younger, while we're at it.  With Samoa Joe on the undercard as we desperately wait for El Generico to heal and come back.  NXT is the most bizarre thing in the world to 5 years ago me.

• Prince Devitt vs Kevin Steen.
  • Main event.
  • In WWE.
  • Sellout crowd.
  • In an NBA arena.

Seriously, how much money could you have if you laid down odds on any combination of that shit 5 years ago? Hell, 2 years ago?

Probably refereed by Drake Younger, while we're at it.  With Samoa Joe on the undercard as we desperately wait for El Generico to heal and come back.  NXT is the most bizarre thing in the world to 5 years ago me.

and as we wait for KENTA to heal as well

• Like 1

The most bizarre thing about current NXT to 2010 me would be the fact that the women's division is my favorite part of the show. I'm looking more forward to the women's title match than anything else the whole weekend.

I liked this week's episode. Bayley/Lynch was solid. Setting up Samoa Joe/Corbin was good and lots of hype for Liger. Still wish they could've found a way to put together a video package to hype Liger more because, well I want to hear "Honoo No Liger" or "Ikari No Jyushin" pretty frickin bad on WWE programming (I ralize I'm getting the Orient Express theme at Takeover, but a boy can dream). Overall a solid show.

James

Do you think theyll do a Takeover event thats not on weekend of a PPV if its not at fullsail? Id like to know how theyd draw for and NXT Special going foreward with out a Big WWE proper event close.

Im not gonna lie, a month ago I selfishly didnt want Sasha,Charlotte & Becky to be phased off NXT but now I ok with them moving on now because they've be handled okay so far on RAW and Smackdown and given enough TV time. and NXT has been pretty good still with them slowly being phased off plus Im sure each of the will still work NXT form time to time.

Crowe looked the best I've seen him on TV even though I hated him losing to Ty, I want Crowe as heel.

Do you think theyll do a Takeover event thats not on weekend of a PPV if its not at fullsail? Id like to know how theyd draw for and NXT Special going foreward with out a Big WWE proper event close.

Im not gonna lie, a month ago I selfishly didnt want Sasha,Charlotte & Becky to be phased off NXT but now I ok with them moving on now because they've be handled okay so far on RAW and Smackdown and given enough TV time. and NXT has been pretty good still with them slowly being phased off plus Im sure each of the will still work NXT form time to time.

Crowe looked the best I've seen him on TV even though I hated him losing to Ty, I want Crowe as heel.

Heh, I'm still selfish about it, simply because I'm not watching Raw of SD.

With that said, I love the Bayley/Becky match.  Bayley needed that Zayn-like redemption run to make her look like a legit contender.

Becky/Bayley was awesome. What an awesome ending. I always like a mid-match section when wrestlers do a roll-up section. It's almost always in the beginning. That makes sense, because you want to catch someone off-guard and no one has hit enough damage yet to get a decisive win. Bayley had roll-up sections in back-to-back matches. I loved how the end came together. Sasha put over how Becky does her homework. So Becky tries to reverse the Belly-to-Bailey into her finisher, which already nearly caught Bayley. But Bayley knows she almost caught Becky just a minute ago (and Charlotte, too) with a roll-up. She out game-planned the queen of game-planning and in-ring strategy.

Also, I wonder if that feeds into the finish at Brooklyn. Sasha won the belt in a similar way. She couldn't get Charlotte to tap in the Bank Statement and instead rolled her up while in the move to get the pinfall. Does Bayley have a counter for that?

She beat the best athlete in Charlotte by throwing bombs. She outwitted the smartest wrestler. Now she has to bring it all against Sasha. Awesome.

I really wish this was the main event.

Bayley/Lynch was solid stuff. Great arm work from Lynch. 

Man, I want Corbin to beat Joe in Brooklyn and then beat Bálor at Full Sail for the gold in December. I want to see the crowd meltdowns. 

Bayley vs Becky fucking ruled. That's fucking storytelling. Bayley is the beloved underdog, who's not considered as "good a wrestler" as the others ,who's still injured and is trying so hard and beating the odds to get that title shot. Which leaves the outcome at the special in doubt. Cause if Bayley wins, it's an awesome feel good moment, but if she loses it's because she IS hurt, and is in the ring with the Champ. And after a valiant struggle, the Champ might just be a little better.

I'm digging this big time.

Bayley vs Becky fucking ruled. That's fucking storytelling. Bayley is the beloved underdog, who's not considered as "good a wrestler" as the others ,who's still injured and is trying so hard and beating the odds to get that title shot. Which leaves the outcome at the special in doubt. Cause if Bayley wins, it's an awesome feel good moment, but if she loses it's because she IS hurt, and is in the ring with the Champ. And after a valiant struggle, the Champ might just be a little better.

I'm digging this big time.

I also loved Sasha pointing out Becky wasn't targeting the hand. We know The Boss will.

Jesus, Baron's promo was one of the worst this year. The content was fine, but he emphasized the wrong word in like every sentence and the cadence sounded like some cheap GPS. This is a rare time in WWE where the writing for the character is perfect, but the guy they picked for the role isn't delivering.

Also on the rough mic night front, Sasha's guest commentary wasn't so hot either. She couldn't decide whether she wanted to be a hot shit celebrity or respectful hard-working champion. Not that she was getting any help from the other announcers, Brennan and Saxton ignored her for long stretches and Graves was trying to be JBL and doing the least convincing "We totally hang out all the time" routine ever with her. I'd believe Dolph and Lana were a real couple before I believed Corey parties with Sasha and Jay Z.

On the positive side, there was Marcus Louis shielding his face from Balor's spotlights, Tye Dillinger getting an over gimmick out of nowhere, Alexa Bliss being awesome, and a good Becky/Bayley match.

I dearly hope Dillinger and Breeze team up down the line.

Marcus is too into it, he's at 100%. He needs to dial it back a couple percentages. He also needs a manager or tag partner, don't let that talent go to waste.

Great main event. Graves was on top of his game as color with Sasha, he's so comfortable throwing darts at Byron and Becky, it comes second hand.

After having a couple of matches on the main roster to compare; Drake definitely plays a role in laying out the women's matches he refs in NXT.

Another fun episode.  

With the exception of Daniel Bryan's run to Wrestlemania 30, I'm as invested in Bayley as I've been any wrestler including when I was watching as a kid in the pre-Hogan era.  I typically avoid NXT spoilers, but when Takeover Brooklyn was announced I wanted to get a lineup as soon as I could and when I saw Bayley was going to get the title match, I went straight to StubHub and paid so much more than I should have for a great seat on the floor.  If Bayley is going to win her first championship, I want to be right there celebrating with her, darnit.

Tyler Breeze's segment last night really pointed out how fortunate NXT is to only be an hour a week.  He got over everything he needed to in like 2 minutes rather than the extended promo that would have had to have been used on Raw or Smackdown.  

I liked the energy of the Baron/Joe stuff.  I thought Corbin's punches looked pretty good and was surprised to see Joe come back and dominate.  Thought for sure Corbin would just knock him down and run.  This all made me look forward to their match at Takeover.