DVDVR Message Board

All In II - 8/27/2023

Dolfan in NYC

To me, this is probably a bigger indicator of AEW losing its way than a lot of things people complain about. Letting Emi do her Freddie Mercury bit at Wembley is such as easy win. How do you fuck that up. Never would’ve missed that in 2019.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

I get & agree with the sentiment that there's dozens of women I'd personally rather see. But sometimes there's things you can do like this to just make one of your performers feel loved. Like there's no reason they couldn't throw a quick 10 woman tag on Zero Hour. Wrap it around a captains gimmick where Emi does her deal and Mako Itoh does a dueling singing deal for her side. Like no, based on how Emi has been positioned on TV, it doesn't make sense to feature her. But sometimes doing that kind of thing just because boosts morale. Like people see that the people in charge just care and it makes everyone feel better about the place they work.

Not meaning that to come of as a rant. Because I get it. It's hard to disagree with Emi not being on the show. But I also think a gigantic show like this there deserves to be a pre show get a bunch of people on deal for the men and the women. You have 2 title matches on the pre show already. Throw on a quick women's 10 person tag and a men's battle royal. Show the love to as many people as you can. And maybe they do announce two more Zero Hour matches on Collision. Who knows.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I get & agree with the sentiment that there's dozens of women I'd personally rather see. But sometimes there's things you can do like this to just make one of your performers feel loved. Like there's no reason they couldn't throw a quick 10 woman tag on Zero Hour. Wrap it around a captains gimmick where Emi does her deal and Mako Itoh does a dueling singing deal for her side. Like no, based on how Emi has been positioned on TV, it doesn't make sense to feature her. But sometimes doing that kind of thing just because boosts morale. Like people see that the people in charge just care and it makes everyone feel better about the place they work.

Not meaning that to come of as a rant. Because I get it. It's hard to disagree with Emi not being on the show. But I also think a gigantic show like this there deserves to be a pre show get a bunch of people on deal for the men and the women. You have 2 title matches on the pre show already. Throw on a quick women's 10 person tag and a men's battle royal. Show the love to as many people as you can. And maybe they do announce two more Zero Hour matches on Collision. Who knows.

I dunno, if I'm disappointed about being left off the card, I don't know how I'd feel about having to fly to England and work a ten-woman tag that's probably capped at five minutes with entrances cut since there's two title matches on an hour-long pre-show that will need a bulk of the time, plus the main card that needs to be hyped since the purpose of the pre-show is last minute buys, plus you're also tacking on a men's battle royale. The time doesn't add up. Not sure how anyone would feel about getting thrown on as a pity booking. Strikes me as a WrestleMania pre-show booking while an eighth of the crowd is actually in their seats and everyone is out buying shirts.

The better solution would have been "book the women better so they have more than one match on the show, and also maybe put Emi Sakura on TV more often so her feelings aren't hurt", but that would require a time machine, and I've already complained enough about how the women are used that I don't need to go into it.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

And I can't.

Athena, Kris Statlander, Mercedes Martinez, Penelope & the Bunny, Ruby, Taya, Willow, Yuka... Yeah sorry, never been a fan of Emi. At all.

and it’s not hard to disagree with Emi not being on the show. She hasn’t been on AEW TV since May. Why would she? Because she’s a veteran and/or the absolutely cringe, OG days of AEW Freddie Mercury gimmick? If that’s the case, let’s get Jeff Jarrett on this thing.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

A billion different things happen on AEW TV every week. It would not have been hard to carve out 1 minute for a couple of weeks to sell Emi’s Mercury fandom and Wembley dream, then book a 3 minute match on Zero Hour.

And I don’t even know that she necessarily needed to have her own match. But some kind of spot of the card. If I was booking the show, I 100% would’ve had a goofy Planet Jarrett tag of some kind where I could run in cameos from cult favorites on the roster to get them on the show and just have fun. Emi doing her Freddie thing and bumping Karen Jarrett would’ve popped me, and probably 80,000 people.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Emi doing her Freddie thing and bumping Karen Jarrett would’ve popped me, and probably 80,000 people.

Emi braining Karen with the Freddie Mercury broken mic stand would work nicely here.

Edited by Hamhock
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Matt D said:

I have grievances. We all do.

But they need to nail this, for everyone's sake.

And I hope they do.

I maintain that the real pressure is not on the talent, the audience, or the booking. This show will live and die on the audio engineering and camera direction. Perhaps also to a lesser extent, sigh, the commentary. I can live with bad booking and matches that don't quite hit, but for an expensive and successful weekly TV show to sound like dogshit every week and constantly miss important spots and moments is absolutely inexcusable 5 years in. 🤞

• Like 3

Not sure why there would be pressure on the audience. They’re there to enjoy a show, it’s not incumbent upon them to be as receptive as everyone wants them to be. Either the show gets them there or doesn’t. The way people talk about whether live audiences are doing their part is downright strange at times. 

They’re also going to be loud as shit because they’re invested in this succeeding this time around. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peachchaos said:

I maintain that the real pressure is not on the talent, the audience, or the booking. This show will live and die on the audio engineering and camera direction. Perhaps also to a lesser extent, sigh, the commentary. I can live with bad booking and matches that don't quite hit, but for an expensive and successful weekly TV show to sound like dogshit every week and constantly miss important spots and moments is absolutely inexcusable 5 years in. 🤞

That's a really great point you make, and it makes me wonder what the crew situation will be; it wouldn't surprise me if WBD/BR has dedicated production people on that side of the pond with their takeover of BT Sports (maybe one of the Brits can shed a little more light on that). Were that to be the case, I could see some snafus occurring here or there - not a knock on their talent or anything, but if they're more used to shooting rugby, cricket, and soccer it might take a couple bouts for everyone to get comfortable.

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's a really great point you make, and it makes me wonder what the crew situation will be; it wouldn't surprise me if WBD/BR has dedicated production people on that side of the pond with their takeover of BT Sports (maybe one of the Brits can shed a little more light on that). Were that to be the case, I could see some snafus occurring here or there - not a knock on their talent or anything, but if they're more used to shooting rugby, cricket, and soccer it might take a couple bouts for everyone to get comfortable.

My (somewhat-educated) guess would be that AEW brings over their people. It may be a mix of them and some local stringers, but they'll definitely have their regular director on the show. I'd put that at 100%.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not sure why there would be pressure on the audience. They’re there to enjoy a show, it’s not incumbent upon them to be as receptive as everyone wants them to be. Either the show gets them there or doesn’t. The way people talk about whether live audiences are doing their part is downright strange at times. 

They’re also going to be loud as shit because they’re invested in this succeeding this time around. 

The whole notion that the audience  is “part of the show” is another problem with modern wrestling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not sure why there would be pressure on the audience.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The whole notion that the audience  is “part of the show” is another problem with modern wrestling.

Right, pressure wasn't the correct term, but more often than not your average Dynamite crowd is either hit or miss and it does make a huge difference. It's not that there is or should be some expectation of the audience, but any live performance lives or dies by the crowd that's in person for the show. So it's a variable for sure. And we've heard time after time from workers that the stadium noise functions differently and is another challenge. Safe bet to say the crowd will be absolutely lit, however.