DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV (Week of July 24, 2023)

RIPPA

On the topic of ECW guys, Shane Douglas is still very active as well. I'd mark for the Franchise.  But if anyone, I do expect someone more like a Guido or Super Crazy.  Bring on all the ECW!

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

As someone said on Twiiter, it's like if someone from the AWA had come out to confront Randy Orton in 2007. 

Sgt. Slaughter did!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

If Jack Perry wants some heat (and a good reaction from Taz), he should promise to defend his belt against a former ECW champion and it's Matt Hardy.

Or a really shitty, long-forgotten D-list tag champ from the Eastern Championship Wrestling days like Tony Stetson or Johnny Hotbody.

• Like 2

Looking through Cagematch on a whim and I saw that Pitbull Gary Wolf has had a couple of matches in 2023 as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing RVD, Tajiri, Super Crazy or Little Guido accepting the challenge. Someone mentioned Masato Tanaka -- he appears to be coming to the U.S. on a tour in October (including a show with DEFY) -- I'd be open to him fighting Moxley.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Or a really shitty, long-forgotten D-list tag champ from the Eastern Championship Wrestling days like Tony Stetson or Johnny Hotbody.

I’ve been watching the first season of ECW on Peacock and yeah, those are two of the worst guys from that roster. Johnny Hotbody looked like Bud Bundy on roids.

• Like 2

If I got current Jack Perry vs. 2003 Chris-Hero-Has-Been-Lending-Me-His-World-of-Sport-and-BATTLArts-tapes Ian Rotten I would throw money at it guilt-free. Doubly so if it was in front of 20 people in Tweaksville, IN and the staph stain on the canvas visibly grows from a Pollock to a Rothko during the match.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Bring Rockin Rebel in, the fans can turn their backs on the match as a silent protest, but then shake his hand afterwards to prove it's not personal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

Bring Rockin Rebel in, the fans can turn their backs on the match as a silent protest, but then shake his hand afterwards to prove it's not personal. 

Too expensive to fly him in from hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

Oh wait, that’s the dude who looks like roided up Bud Bundy. Johnny Hotbody looks like roided up 40 year old who works at a pizza counter and hits on all the high school chicks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Oh wait, that’s the dude who looks like roided up Bud Bundy. Johnny Hotbody looks like roided up 40 year old who works at a pizza counter and hits on all the high school chicks.

At least Sir Jonathan Hotbody didn't murder anyone, like Rockin' Rebel did. He just pretended to be blond and would probably double charge you if you made him bake a fresh pie because you HAD to get a slice with something other than cheese or pepperoni.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I had that thought too yesterday chatting w Curt about it, but I just felt like it runs the risk of being 'already treaded land' with them just having touched on a lot of the same beats in the build to the Forbidden Door 8 man last month - though I will say, I do like the idea of Mox/Kingston being in this sort of never-ending, Sami/KO-type state of intertwinedness. If there's a way to make it work logically, I'm fully onboard. 

My second choice would be Hero, if he can be convinced to get back in the ring

2 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

If I got current Jack Perry vs. 2003 Chris-Hero-Has-Been-Lending-Me-His-World-of-Sport-and-BATTLArts-tapes Ian Rotten I would throw money at it guilt-free. Doubly so if it was in front of 20 people in Tweaksville, IN and the staph stain on the canvas visibly grows from a Pollock to a Rothko during the match.

Yeah, when I brought that up, I was half thinking "MugaRotten stiffing Jungle Boy would be a lot of fun". 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I really don't want ECW retreads in AEW.

I hope it's a more modern deathmatch guy, or a protege.  Colby Corino perhaps?

This is what I want Rampage to be, stuff like this. Completely sensible matches that pull on wrestling lore outside of what's consistently presented on Dynamite. Matches for the die-hards, or the god-bless-em nerd kids along for the ride who don't have Friday plans. Stuff for the fans who stay until 11PM. Nyla/Shida shoulda been Dynamite, PAC/Gravity shoulda been Rampage, etc.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Jenalysis said:

I really don't want ECW retreads in AEW.

I hope it's a more modern deathmatch guy, or a protege.  Colby Corino perhaps?

I liked what I saw of him before I stopped watching NWA, I'd support him getting a shot. I don't think anyone's calling for the older guys to be signed full-time or anything, but Rhyno doing a one off gore to Perry in order to help get a young guy, like you said, for example a Colby Corino or Hook, to the next level is good with me. Actually, I've noticed Taz has lost a ton of weight, I know his neck is beat but it'd be a cool little moment if he and Hook hit stereo Tazmissions on Perry and another heel or something. 

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

At least Sir Jonathan Hotbody didn't murder anyone, like Rockin' Rebel did. He just pretended to be blond and would probably double charge you if you made him bake a fresh pie because you HAD to get a slice with something other than cheese or pepperoni.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that when he first met Rebel backstage at a CZW show the first thing the guy did was tell him a Holocaust joke.

Yeah...

• Sad 1

So here is my thing on the BCC. Good matches, yes, but every single feud has dragged on too long or fizzled out too early. Some of that is beyond their control (Bryan getting hurt twice, Regal leaving), but a lot of that dragging feeling is there because of the repetitiveness to some of these feuds.

I’ve always considered Danielson the creative engine of the group and there have been some great moments centered around him, but the non-Danielson stuff doesn’t do anything for me.

Blood and Guts is a great example of my problem with the BCC. The 5th bed of nails spot doesn’t mean anything just like the 5th dynamite where the BCC swarms the same babyface doesn’t mean anything. 

I don’t think Mox is interested in telling stories on the same level as most of the other guys we would consider in his tier.  For a guy who can talk so well he rarely has anything interesting to say. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Someone in the crowd had a 'steamed hams' sign at the start of the show too. What is that even referring to? 

Only the greatest think the simpsons ever did https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/simpsons-steamed-hams-oral-history

Show started strong with OC / Fox (even though we have like 16 guys who wrestle like fox made more sense to have him aligned with Darius) Swerve/Darby was good but maybe the least of their matches, kinda like when Kidman and Judi wrestled each other so many times in WCW they seemed to run out of ideas

I guess Britts back is still fucked? If she’s injured why not use one of the other women under contract who can’t get TV time. Black and Gold NXT and Impact have done a much better job as a gender balanced wrestling program

msin highlights the problem with triple threats no established rules. Why were both members of Lucha Bros on the apron? In a singles triple threat all three are in the ring at once, especially when it’s no dq just come in? Speaking of which next week we get an anything goes triple threat? Department of redundancy department?

on a positive note Renee really brings a sense of gravitas to her segments. She’s like AEWs Michele Tafioa 

• Like 2