Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021


The Natural
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I’m personally a snob. 

You say that like it is a bad thing.   There is nothing wrong with having high standards.

That being said, as you say, the blading and crazy bumps obviously scratches the itch of the wrestling demographic that years for the return of the atmosphere of the NWA territorial years and AEW has delivered that with the workrate, violence, recognition of outside feds, and the Forbidden Door.   

AEW is a well oiled and polished marketing machine masquerading as a glorified indy and I have no problem with that.  Where else can do you have the possibility of NJPW, NWA, AAA, or DDT workers showing up on any given night?

Whether that falls into the definition of "adult" is debatable.  It certainly invokes a certain nostalgia.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Inspired by @L_W_P’s *ahem* somewhat eccentric conspiracy theories and Batista’s tweet about Punk’s potential ceiling as a Hollywood star…what if The First Dance is literally  the first full song-and-dance wrestling  musical, as a vehicle for Phil Brooks to prove his musical chops in front of a captive die-hard crowd, supported by Dancing With The Stars alumni and world renowned professional singer Chris Irvine, building on the sensation of the wrestling world Le Dinner Debonair.
Think Buffy’s ‘Once More With Feeling’.  Drag Matt Rehwoldt through the Forbidden Door, fuck it. The one-two punch with Heels, it’ll be a surefire springboard to showbiz super stardom for Mr Brooks. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I would be thrilled to try whatever good shit you guys are on.  Not sure if would make me spout wild theories but I bet I'd have a great time either way.

As for the Dark main event I know Moriarty's world is his oyster so not sure of his actual choices.  But on top of this match I've seen enough of him where I would be thrilled if Lee was signed.  And the wild thing is you know they only barely took it out of first gear while still being great.  So the idea of them ripping it up in further matches excites me and for him to have the Dark main event shows how much they love him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Custos said:

Inspired by @L_W_P’s *ahem* somewhat eccentric conspiracy theories and Batista’s tweet about Punk’s potential ceiling as a Hollywood star…what if The First Dance is literally  the first full song-and-dance wrestling  musical, as a vehicle for Phil Brooks to prove his musical chops in front of a captive die-hard crowd, supported by Dancing With The Stars alumni and world renowned professional singer Chris Irvine, building on the sensation of the wrestling world Le Dinner Debonair.
Think Buffy’s ‘Once More With Feeling’.  Drag Matt Rehwoldt through the Forbidden Door, fuck it. The one-two punch with Heels, it’ll be a surefire springboard to showbiz super stardom for Mr Brooks. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might sound crazy but personally, I kind of wish CM Punk doesn't come back to wrestling. And I say that because in 2014, it seemed like Punk fell out of love with wrestling. He moved on and did other things, and recently it looked like he was in a good place in his life and doing some TV and movies. It seemed like Punk didn't need wrestling and was doing just fine on his own. 

Secondly, in all the interviews Punk has done in the last 10 years he didn't really seem all that invested and passionate about wrestling anymore. I'm not convinced he's in the right headspace to make another run of it, even if he's got a sweet deal and a part-time schedule in AEW.

That said, if he can have some kind of feel good Shawn Michaels-esque comeback run that defies all logic and expectations, I'm all for it.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MDK - in Nick Gage's own words - refers to trying one's best. Like if you're playing sports or videogames, and you hit a really good play or whatever, everyone goes "You killed it". And if you one-up that, you Murder Death Killed it. That's exactly what he means by that. MDK All f'n Day literally just means Try Your Best.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah, it's better.  It's referencing a pretty goddamn awesome action flick from the 90s.

Sorry, I love "Demolition Man" too much to let that slide.

But AxB's reason for it makes sense.  I mean people say all the time anyway that "[insert name here] is killing it" so sure why not.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This might sound crazy but personally, I kind of wish CM Punk doesn't come back to wrestling. And I say that because in 2014, it seemed like Punk fell out of love with wrestling. He moved on and did other things, and recently it looked like he was in a good place in his life and doing some TV and movies. It seemed like Punk didn't need wrestling and was doing just fine on his own. 

Secondly, in all the interviews Punk has done in the last 10 years he didn't really seem all that invested and passionate about wrestling anymore. I'm not convinced he's in the right headspace to make another run of it, even if he's got a sweet deal and a part-time schedule in AEW.

I'd say it's safe to assume we have an incomplete view of the progression of CM Punk's mindset with regard to wrestling over the last seven+ years and decrying his lack of passion currently might be a tad premature. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Zimbra said:
They fuckin' better.

I don't actually watch the Dark shows, do they let Angelico do his wacky matwork stuff on there?

Yeah, starting maybe back in spring, they started using him as more of a singles guy (to the point I thought they had quietly released Jack for a while), and he’s been doing his llave stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This might sound crazy but personally, I kind of wish CM Punk doesn't come back to wrestling. And I say that because in 2014, it seemed like Punk fell out of love with wrestling.

Like many other former WWE guys, I imagine he either already has or will soon discover that he didn’t fall out of love with wrestling, he fell out of love with working for WWE.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AxB said:

MDK - in Nick Gage's own words - refers to trying one's best. Like if you're playing sports or videogames, and you hit a really good play or whatever, everyone goes "You killed it". And if you one-up that, you Murder Death Killed it. That's exactly what he means by that. MDK All f'n Day literally just means Try Your Best.

I swear the guy out of Kreator did a similar bit on stage once (in the bit, he was talking to an interviewer) and he finished with "I TELL YOU NOW THAT I HAVE LIED TO THE MOTHERFUCKER! I FEEL IT IS A GREAT...

PLEASURE...

TO...

KILL!!!"

No idea why that popped into my head.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

As for the Dark main event I know Moriarty's world is his oyster so not sure of his actual choices.  But on top of this match I've seen enough of him where I would be thrilled if Lee was signed.  And the wild thing is you know they only barely took it out of first gear while still being great.  So the idea of them ripping it up in further matches excites me and for him to have the Dark main event shows how much they love him.

Oh man. You just made me realize that there's a big possibility that I may get Moriarty vs. Danielson for free on my tv sometime in the near future.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Except he didn’t actually even insult Julia. You could tell where he was going based on the rhyme but Bowens snatched the mic and yelled breath.

And forming a tag team that people actually care about isn’t as easy throwing guys together. There is an element of chemistry and needing to see matches similarly for it to work. 10 out of 10 random guys on the roster being thrown with Bowens aren’t going to make as good of a tag team as the Acclaimed were.

True, but strangely enough, that's what happened with the Acclaimed. When Big Show interviewed them on Elevation, they said they had been singles wrestlers and didn't team up until they got to AEW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Sorry, I love "Demolition Man" too much to let that slide.

But AxB's reason for it makes sense.  I mean people say all the time anyway that "[insert name here] is killing it" so sure why not.

Cut him some slack. He probably doesn't even know how to use the 3 seashells.

  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah, it's worse. It's referencing a pretty goddamn cheesy action flick from the 90s. Gross.

You are hating on Demolition Man and the great Simon Phoenix?

You are dead to me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taz singing along and making up random lyrics to Tarzan Boy will never not be funny.

Penelope Ford has been getting good as of late and I'm here for a program between her and Rosa.

I've dug Moriarty's work for a while now and as nice it would be to see him in AEW I think he'd get lost in the shuffle.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...