DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

37 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wow...either this is an elaborate AEW work or Max is the first to jump to WWE in this war.

Would WWE even want him? He's not much in the ring yet being so inexperienced. And he certainly doesn't have the size we're hearing they are requiring again. He's all gimmick, and a gimmick that doesn't work on PG TV.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This sucks if him refusing sensitivity training and resorting to this passive aggressive bullshit is for true. 

It sucks if they actually suspended him without pay and demanded he do sensitivity training for doing an in character promo in line with what they hired him for.

They threw him under the bus…Again, if this was actually a problem, why wasn’t the person responsible for Dark while Khan was outside fired or suspended and sent to sensitivity training, or the person that was editing the show?

If nobody saw it as an issue and Tony Khan genuinely believes it’s a problem then there is obviously a culture problem since nobody flagged it when it happened or when it was being discussed on the internet before it aired.

If he refused to be the scapegoat and actually got a job with WWE, good for him.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Angelico just did the sickest cutter sell I might have ever seen in the Dark: Elevation man. Jeez. That will be GIF'd.

Yeah,  just saw that brilliant sell.  Anthony Bowen looked a little lost in that singles match against PAC.  PAC pulled a fucking Big Van Vader and trolled the crowd on the finish.

That rap from Caster was abhorrent but if he's being 100% thrown under the bus for it, when it was almost assuredly okayed AND aired by the company, well that's some fuckin bullshit and I don't blame him for potentially washing his hands of the industry. If it's a work? I mean great but who gives a fuck and what's the end goal? He comes back on TV to a round of applause from fellow edge lords? 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

That rap from Caster was abhorrent but if he's being 100% thrown under the bus for it, when it was almost assuredly okayed AND aired by the company, well that's some fuckin bullshit and I don't blame him for potentially washing his hands of the industry. If it's a work? I mean great but who gives a fuck and what's the end goal? He comes back on TV to a round of applause from fellow edge lords? 

The IWC has a short attention span and we're a forgiving bunch.  It is totally okay for Caster to start working again.  He now knows what his boundaries are.  If he crosses them again then maybe shitcan him but for now, put him back on television while he's still over.

Letting PAC kill Bowens tonight was bad booking.  What it should remind everyone is that Bowens is the work horse of that team, but what it actually reminded us is that Max Caster is not there at ringside.

Edited by J.T.
  • Sad 1

I think I see why you're saying that though not sure it's something worth getting into.

So instead I'm gonna talk about Kiera Hogan making her appearance on Elevation.  I remember between the Shine and Evolve shows in Queens we talked to her for a few minutes.  At the time Impact was about to move to Pursuit and she was terrified about not nearly as many people seeing her.  For one she was right to worry but she stuck with them and seems a lot more confident.  It's pretty neat seeing her now and thinking back to how unsure she was of her future.  I'm glad things worked out for her and while not sure what's next I feel she's going to do just fine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I was vocally against The Acclaimed's gimmick the second it hit the air but the castigation of Caster is bullshit. They hit Dynamite working a total "edgelord" gimmick and it could have been vetoed after Day One. Both guys have the talent to pivot to a different gimmick but it didn't break that way. Max went out there every week and was allowed to push the envelope until he found a line to cross. It was a mathematical inevitability that he would eventually cross it. The PR against his (shitty) Duke Lacrosse rap wasn't even really that loud when compared to what Sammy got a nun's ruler across his knuckles over.

You put a guy out there who outright tells you he's going to dabble in sexist and socio-politically divisive heatseeking and you more or less tell him to have at it for nearly a year. And then you punish him for taking it exactly one step over the line? Fuck the gimmick but the individual doesn't deserve to be punished when the company was absolutely fine with it all up until the point where they weren't. There was an argument when Cornette got  booted that his racist joke should have been censored and edited before it even hit Youtube. Max getting suspended is what a good version of that argument looks like.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I was vocally against The Acclaimed's gimmick the second it hit the air but the castigation of Caster is bullshit. They hit Dynamite working a total "edgelord" gimmick and it could have been vetoed after Day One. Both guys have the talent to pivot to a different gimmick but it didn't break that way. Max went out there every week and was allowed to push the envelope until he found a line to cross. It was a mathematical inevitability that he would eventually cross it. The PR against his (shitty) Duke Lacrosse rap wasn't even really that loud when compared to what Sammy got a nun's ruler across his knuckles over.

You put a guy out there who outright tells you he's going to dabble in sexist and socio-politically divisive heatseeking and you more or less tell him to have at it for nearly a year. And then you punish him for taking it exactly one step over the line? Fuck the gimmick but the individual doesn't deserve to be punished when the company was absolutely fine with it all up until the point where they weren't. There was an argument when Cornette got  booted that his racist joke should have been censored and edited before it even hit Youtube. Max getting suspended is what a good version of that argument looks like.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

It's a work, innit?

New to AEW.  I haven't watched any current product in 4 years.  I must say I'm hooked.  Why?  Dark, Dark Elevation, the look of the shows, no crazy camera zooms/cuts (does WWE still do that?)

What lead me to AEW is the hype of new arrivals Punk and DB/BD. 

I love the format of the Dark shows.  To me, this is what B and C shows should be.  They're not 1984 Championship Wrestling squashes.  I mean yes, you know who is going to win but I love seeing new characters given a chance.  This is where WWE lacks big time.  I always said they should have formatted Main Event like this.  WWE B and C shows are/were pointless.

I love the whole interpromotion stuff.  Andrade/Omega AAA?  Hell, Ric Flair showing up on AAA tv??  I like how they are doing it without it sounding all "invasion"ish.  A little more mentioning tho would be nice.  Like Archer on Dark.  Isn't he a New Japan champion?

All in all I'm glad I made the switch.  4 shows may seem like a lot but it's a fun watch!

Oh, and I love Jim Cornette trying to dissect everything they do lol

• Like 6

Justin Roberts talked about the unaired ****** 1/2 star dark match after the Austin show in February 2020 on the Unrestricted podcast. It would have been 7 stars if it took place in Heaven, according to Dave Meltzer.

• Thanks 1