DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

Nice little 30 minute bonus episode of Elevation up now. 

Emi Sakura is back! Fun short match with Madi Wrenkowski. Loved the MK Twins attempting twin magic on Nyla, saw them at an indy show last month and they were insanely over. Garcia/Sydal solid longer match compared to the squashes.

• Like 1

Wow.  Private Party squashed Will Allday and Edge Stone without Edge Stone even getting any ring time.  Will had to carry that match on his back.  How embarrassing.  

Garcia / Sydal was solid.   I figured Garcia would win since he's got Mox tomorrow night, but he nearly got outclassed by Matt.  Mox will kill him.

Edited by J.T.

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

OMG 

Minoru Suzuki is booked for a GCW show in NYC on September 24th.

Imagine Kaze Ni Nare at Arthur Ashe...!

Okay I HAVE to fantasy book this one. 

"Kaze ni Nare" plays. Suzuki walks out. Takes the mic. 

"New York... *pause for cheers* FUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUU!!!"

*massive boos*

"I... WANT... MOXLEY."

Moxley runs out, brawl occurs, massive pullapart, tickets purchased, money rains from the Cloud. 

• Like 1

Private Party has kinda moved into obscurity with Hardy Family Office stuff but boy do I fucking love watching them dance to Matt's ridiculously terrible metal song. I'll check out that stuff in a bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Nice little 30 minute bonus episode of Elevation up now. 

Emi Sakura is back! Fun short match with Madi Wrenkowski. Loved the MK Twins attempting twin magic on Nyla, saw them at an indy show last month and they were insanely over. Garcia/Sydal solid longer match compared to the squashes.

Not happy Emi is no longer Female Freddie Mercury. Madi got a HUGE pop and loads of MADI chants through the whole match.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Wow.  Private Party squashed Will Allday and Edge Stone without Edge Stone even getting any ring time.  Will had to carry that match on his back.  How embarrassing. 

Will Allday is a local Houston wrestler, so he got a HUGE pop and chant during his match.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Not happy Emi is no longer Female Freddie Mercury. Madi got a HUGE pop and loads of MADI chants through the whole match.

Will Allday is a local Houston wrestler, so he got a HUGE pop and chant during his match.

Madi killed me with the houndstooth wresting gear.

I have seen Will Allday bunches of times on CWFH and he is totally fucking awesome.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Taz is really great on commentary. Dials the heel manager shtick way down, which honestly makes perfect sense as long as none of his crew or the folks they're feuding with are having a match. I also died for this exchange during Death Triangle vs Chaos Project/Cole Karter:

Starks was a really fun addition to Tazz/Excalibur, tbh. I'm not a huge fan of 3 man booths but he fit right in and the trio made me laugh out loud multiple times.

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Daniel Garcia reached into the deepest recesses of my mind and stole my teenage idea of a way to level-up the Sharpshooter.

It’s genius because it’s going to earn him a big singles match against Sting if he plays his cards right.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm not gonna get too Fantasy Booking with all of this, but did you ever think about how CM Punk is the exact antithesis of Adam Page? Anxious Drunk Millennial Cowboy, Conceited Straight-Edge Gen X Punk. It's weird. It's night and day.

I’m not sure I need another “Punk runs down a babyface for substance abuse” story (on grounds that I’ve seen enough of it, not that it’d be bad), but the temptation will be there should they find themselves at opposite ends of an issue. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:
  Hide contents

The way they filmed it, the match was Uno, Colt, and V, V (kind of) cost DO the match at the very end, and Uno was very upset and berating V with Colt trying to stop him. The rest of the Dark Order came out, and the way they left was Uno, Stu, and Ten leaving together and the others leaving together.

Spoiler

Bullying Five have been a theme of Dark Order since time out of mind, I felt really, genuinely bad for him when they pinned him down and cut up his wig. I am all for him eventually kicking the shit out of his bullies.

• Like 1

I was really into mid to late aughts ROH.  I came in right after Punk left.  So I caught the train for the AmDrag title run.  Nigel… Morishima… CZW and NOAH crossovers and the eventual rise of the ROH title to “World Title” status.  

But… ROH as well as it did, never really ascended much beyond those heights.  It didn’t help that post Gabe booking never really did it for me.  But that is beside the point I want to make.

It’s just too bad that a “from scratch fed” like ROH never really had any long time veterans in the locker rooms.  Some SOMEBODIES of name and note that had some level credit to spend in even passing a torch.  William Regal would have been splendid. 

So I’m reminded after Dynamite this week of just how important having those people on-screen, interacting, and giving the rub really is.  Something ROH didn’t have much of.

Jericho tapping out to MJFs lukewarm arm bar pretty much solved the riddle on a hot heel whose finish wasn’t over.   Sting being with Darby is inexplicable but entirely effective.  These two really only have a visual connection but otherwise are chocolate and peanut butter.  Together at last.

Guys like Cena and Orton could have used a lot of this kind of help during their ascension.  But again, staying on track.

Meanwhile, I don’t really think Wight or Mark Henry are really contributing that much in this idea.  Which is ok because they’re hardly getting in the way.  Matt Hardy IS trying.

The booking of AEW often reminds me of those awesome years of dvd era ROH (thanks megaupload).  Only this time around the torches are happily being passed and bridging those generational gaps.  I couldn’t be more thrilled.

• Like 4

i gotta say, i'm super psyched for Rampage tonight. I can't remember the last time i spent days thinking about an upcoming wrestling card, especially a weekly TV show. Like, i couldn't wait to see Blood & Guts, but the anticipation for tonight's show is on a whole other level.

And it's funny. I'm not even really a big CM Punk fan. But the excitement that surrounds this show is magical. 

This was alluded to by someone earlier, but the hype for Punk's return will be basically impossible for him to live up to. I remember when he debuted in WWECW, i had seen a match or two but never really followed his indy career. The hype for his debut was crazy and i was very much looking forward to seeing what this guy could do. Then he debuted in ECW and did.....not much really. Obviously that changed after a few years, but i remember being very disappointed with his early run, just because the hype was through the roof. I hope we're not seeing a similar trajectory here.

• Like 3

I think it's not just that it's CM Punk but also the idea of what he stands for and his past actions that have led to his legend growing in a way.  I mean we're talking the guy that not only publicly trashed WWE (though reality shows it was cleared with them) but had the balls to say "Fuck it, I'm out" and gaslight them on his friend's podcast.  That wasn't something that was done at that time to that level so for him to not only come back to wrestling but to AEW is a HUGE boost for all involved.  The matches will always be secondary but just the visual of him standing across the ring with Darby is going to be something that'll be talked about for years to come.  And hey, if all goes well it could even build up Darby's status even more to go on top of his pairing with Sting.  Either way the guy's a made man.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I'm intrigued. I didn't follow Punk first time around since I only started watching wrestling again in 2015, but seeing how this all plays out (and potentially with Danielson) has got me excited. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I'm intrigued. I didn't follow Punk first time around since I only started watching wrestling again in 2015, but seeing how this all plays out (and potentially with Danielson) has got me excited. 

CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe's 2004 ROH Trilogy. *****.

Summer of Punk, ROH 2005.

CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy, SummerSlam 2009.

CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy, post SummerSlam 2009 Smackdown.

CM Punk vs. Rey Mysterio. Over the Limit 2010.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. Money in the Bank 2011. *****.

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. Over the Limit 2012.

CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan. Money in the Bank 2012.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. Night of Champions 2012.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. RAW, 25th February 2013.

CM Punk vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXIX.

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar. SummerSlam 2013.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

One of the reasons that it's exciting has nothing to do with CM Punk the wrestler and everything to do with CM Punk the fan. He was disillusioned with wrestling and WWE's style and culture so much that he quit and very publicly bashed them and said he was done, repeatedly said he was done to anybody that would listen.

And now, he is back and so are so many disillusioned fans who are getting a renewed passion for the business.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

One of the reasons that it's exciting has nothing to do with CM Punk the wrestler and everything to do with CM Punk the fan. He was disillusioned with wrestling and WWE's style and culture so much that he quit and very publicly bashed them and said he was done, repeatedly said he was done to anybody that would listen.

And now, he is back and so are so many disillusioned fans who are getting a renewed passion for the business.

If anyone’s on Reddit, Its been interesting to see how many older fans have been posting about coming back after years of not watching due to AEW, specially this past week with all the Punk hype.