DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I kinda have mixed feelings on that WWE list. Like, Triple H/Taker from 27 is my favorite WrestleMania match ever, and I didn't think 28 was even close to being on that level... But I totally understand why the Cell match gets the slot. I figured it was either HBK/Taker I or Austin/Hart at the top, and I'm not surprised they went with the former, even if I disagree. I think to a current generation of fans, that's the unofficial greatest match of all-time. I mean, it doesn't get my vote at all, but I know how people feel about it.

My dark horse pick is still Jericho/Christian from XX, which I've been saying since that night was the best match of the show, but I accept I'll never win the masses over to that POV.

• Like 2

I only liked that post because I also thought Christian/Jericho was a fantastic match. I disagree vehemently about anything concerning those HBK, Taker, HHH matches. They do absolutely nothing for me.

• Like 1

I actually like all of the Taker, HBK, HHH matches from WM. One might hit my top ten, but I feel like there are too many other great matches for them to rank super high. Like its been a while, but I wouldn't be shocked if HBK/Flair placed higher than the HBK/Taker and HHH/Taker matches for me. 

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

...and because it's still pretty fresh in my memory, I really enjoyed Will Ospreay vs. Lance Archer from this year's New Japan Cup. 

I fucking loved that match so damn much.  A lot can be said about Ospreay but he was aces as the small guy trying to survive Archer's big-man offense.  His shit looked nasty and made me turn the corner on Lance big-time.  Not sure how available it outside of NJPW World but if you come across it it's well worth checking out.

As for the WM list I just don't care to look.  Their lists vary depending on who's with the company and who they're cool with.  I sure as hell don't need to see it to know which ones are my favorite.

But I will say i've been catching older WMs on the network.  At this point I'm in firm agreement with @The Natural that it's my favorite WM match of all-time.  It more than holds up and the story is so timeless and executed perfectly by both men.  Savage/Steamboat is still awesome but I really loved watching Savage/Warrior.  That told a great story and I'll be damned if the reunion didn't give me the feels.  I don't rank matches but I'd have Bret/Austin at number 1 and whatever else I like in one giant pool of awesomeness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

Big  Man v. Small Man gets brought up and we get no love for Hashimoto v. Liger?
I mean it isn't the best match ever but is one damn fun helluva match!

James

My only issue with it, is that Liger got juiced to the gills for that match, and then went nowhere with that look. Also is Hashimoto a “Big guy”, or is he a Mick Foley “Big guy”. Where he’s big, but doesn’t wrestle that way.

A&E and WWE Studios will partner to produce five documentaries about some of the most iconic wrestlers of all time in new installments of the “Biography” series.

The two-hour original documentaries will profile “Macho Man” Randy Savage, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, Booker T, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Shawn Michaels. As is the standard with the long-running “Biography” series, fans will get an in-depth look at the lives of the wrestlers through new and archival interviews and never-before-seen footage.

“We are thrilled for the tremendous opportunity to partner with WWE Studios to produce these special films that honor some of the most impactful personalities who have left a lasting imprint on pop culture,” said Elaine Frontain Bryant, executive vice president and head of programming at A&E Network.

Billy Corben will direct the documentary on the larger-than-life “Macho Man” Randy Savage. The notorious villain “Rowdy” Roddy Piper’s episode will be helmed by Joe Lavine. Georgy Roy will oversee the showcase on two-time WWE Hall of Fame inductee Booker T. The three films are currently in pre-production and slated to air in spring 2020. The Stone Cold Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels docs will air in 2021.

Since the ’60s, the “Biography” series has profiled the world’s most newsworthy personalities from presidents to musicians to serial killers. In addition to these five wrestling legends, the program has also covered Andre the Giant and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

Assume since the WWE is involved that virtually nothing negative will be discussed

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I fucking loved that match so damn much.  A lot can be said about Ospreay but he was aces as the small guy trying to survive Archer's big-man offense.  His shit looked nasty and made me turn the corner on Lance big-time.  Not sure how available it outside of NJPW World but if you come across it it's well worth checking out.

As for the WM list I just don't care to look.  Their lists vary depending on who's with the company and who they're cool with.  I sure as hell don't need to see it to know which ones are my favorite.

But I will say i've been catching older WMs on the network.  At this point I'm in firm agreement with @The Natural that it's my favorite WM match of all-time.  It more than holds up and the story is so timeless and executed perfectly by both men.  Savage/Steamboat is still awesome but I really loved watching Savage/Warrior.  That told a great story and I'll be damned if the reunion didn't give me the feels.  I don't rank matches but I'd have Bret/Austin at number 1 and whatever else I like in one giant pool of awesomeness.

Cheers, bud!

• Thanks 1

I'm gonna throw both Bret vs Nash matches in for best small man/big man match, with Survivor Series just edging out the Rumble. I know we just spent a bunch of time loving on Bret in (I think?) the WM thread, but he really was almost a miracle worker in these two given some of Diesel's tendencies and limitations. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm gonna throw both Bret vs Nash matches in for best small man/big man match, with Survivor Series just edging out the Rumble. I know we just spent a bunch of time loving on Bret in (I think?) the WM thread, but he really was almost a miracle worker in these two given some of Diesel's tendencies and limitations. 

Great shout. Forgot about those. Kevin Nash's best matches by far. Yes, it was the WrestleMania XXXV thread.

• Like 2

had a team where one part of it involved the Hardys in some sort of vague "team facing the Hardys that always wanted to face them" match and then they mentioned Jeff Hardy being ranked 4th in some variant of golf. Which is probably not what Jeff Hardy does in his free time.

38 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

had a team where one part of it involved the Hardys in some sort of vague "team facing the Hardys that always wanted to face them" match and then they mentioned Jeff Hardy being ranked 4th in some variant of golf. Which is probably not what Jeff Hardy does in his free time.

I could see Jeff Hardy being into Frolf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Edwin

On the big/small debate -- everyone needs to watch Darby Allin vs. WALTER from EVOLVE last year.

Great underdog story with WALTER brutalizing the much smaller Darby who of course rules in that underdog role.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Its been a while, but I remember not caring at all for the Bret/Nash matches years ago. Maybe I should give them another shot.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Its been a while, but I remember not caring at all for the Bret/Nash matches years ago. Maybe I should give them another shot.

You really should, and make sure to watch them in chronological order. Well except for the cage match. Just forget that match ever happened(although Taker pulling Diesel “Down into hell” was a great visual at the time).

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Did Yokozuna ever have any great big-little man matches? I feel like he got too big to have truly great matches pretty quickly into his WWF run. Bret/Yoko WM IX was the only match that he had that really had a theoretical chance of being great, and it wasn't good. 

Yokozuna had a very short shelf-life as a high-level worker, IMO. The violence of those squash matches that he was working in late 1992 were so promising, but he got too big to keep up that sort of work too soon. 

EDIT: Also, Big Show/Mayweather Jr. is fantastic and deserves love in terms of big man/little man matches. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

How has Bret/Taker for the 96 Rumble aged? It's been a few years since I've seen it but I recall liking it despite the fuck finish.

If you give @RIPPA $5, you can find out what he thinks.  

Spoiler - it won't be nice.

25 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Did Yokozuna ever have any great big-little man matches? I feel like he got too big to have truly great matches pretty quickly into his WWF run. Bret/Yoko WM IX was the only match that he had that really had a theoretical chance of being great, and it wasn't good. 

Yokozuna had a very short shelf-life as a high-level worker, IMO. The violence of those squash matches that he was working in late 1992 were so promising, but he got too big to keep up that sort of work too soon. 

EDIT: Also, Big Show/Mayweather Jr. is fantastic and deserves love in terms of big man/little man matches. 

Wasn't there a Yoko vs 123 Kid match?