DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Guest Edwin
2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What happened at the ROH show for NJPW to cut ties?

From what I read -- the production and the quality of the ROH matches were poor and made NJPW look bad. ??‍♂️

Edited by Edwin

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

What happened at the ROH show for NJPW to cut ties?

If this is confirmed to be true, it's going to be interesting to see whether or not they hook up with All Elite or go a completely different direction. I also read somewhere tickets weren't selling that well for Dallas. This American expansion has been fucked from the start. Any word on what kind of house they drew at the Garden? Im not too far from NYC and I don't even get ROH on TV. 

Someone's going to get their wires crossed and start an urban legend that Enzo attacked Bret at the HoF, aren't they?

I don't see Nzo & Big C's RoH run going too well. I don't think they'll be able to work the RoH style, and if they try to just have their generic WWE match, it'll get shit on. Which could lead management to the 'The fans hate these guys, let's push them to get heat' decision, where a few weeks later they wonder why nobody buys tickets any more.

• Like 1

Guest Edwin

Superluchas is reporting the MYC 3 is on for this year.

They are quoting Squared Circle Sirens as the source and they are reporting their source is a German recruitment documentary in which WWE announced they are scouting female talent in Germany for it.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Someone's going to get their wires crossed and start an urban legend that Enzo attacked Bret at the HoF, aren't they?

I don't see Nzo & Big C's RoH run going too well. I don't think they'll be able to work the RoH style, and if they try to just have their generic WWE match, it'll get shit on. Which could lead management to the 'The fans hate these guys, let's push them to get heat' decision, where a few weeks later they wonder why nobody buys tickets any more.

Already hit Twitter at the time of the attack before word got out about the RoH run in

10 hours ago, Edwin said:

Was reading on reddit how NJPW should end their relationship with ROH after tonight and it got me thinking... Does anyone remember that brief partnership they had with JAPW back in 2011? I recall Liger working for JAPW and winning their Jr. title.

Also, they helped NJPW run some shows in the East Coast which I've never seen, but they look exactly as what I imagine a NJPW/JAPW show would look like.

Are those events up on NJPW World? If not, has anyone seen them?

The relationship with JAPW is what created the Intercontinental Title.  They ended up with a weekend of shows focusing on the IC Title tournament that MVP won (as an aside, both Naito and Okada were in that tourny, but it was before Naito and Okada were Naito and Okada.)  Frank ended up footing the bill for about all of it, and ended up having to fold up for a couple years afterwards since the shows were too damn expensive to run even though they sold out all 3 buildings.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Superluchas is reporting the MYC 3 is on for this year.

They are quoting Squared Circle Sirens as the source and they are reporting their source is a German recruitment documentary in which WWE announced they are scouting female talent in Germany for it.

Neat if true. Wonder if Meiko returns.

6 hours ago, Ace said:

The Garden sold out in one day. Of course, at the time, Omega, Cody, Page, and the Bucks were expected to be at the show.

The building was at least 99% full (I only saw a few blocks of empty seats), even after The Elite took off.  Consensus is that the NJPW portions of the show delievered and finally gave high profile singles matches with consequences (and all the NJ singles titles changed hands), which is what US fans had been clamoring for, so i'd expect the G1 shows to pick up sales after last night and when the blocks are announced and what Night 1's feature matches are.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If this is confirmed to be true, it's going to be interesting to see whether or not they hook up with All Elite or go a completely different direction. I also read somewhere tickets weren't selling that well for Dallas. This American expansion has been fucked from the start. Any word on what kind of house they drew at the Garden? Im not too far from NYC and I don't even get ROH on TV. 

They'd kind of have to go with All Elite there, just for the names AEW would give them.

Pro wrestling and comic books of each country can be relatively similar for how they grow, and if a country's wrestling and comics are similar- New Japan just feels like that popular manga just after the anime's ended and it loses its aura with casual fans. 

They even did the same thing with Bullet Club a popular manga in that position would do: Get rid of all the interesting, cool characters the fans of the series loved and recalibrate the whole series around an emo kid.

25 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Pro wrestling and comic books of each country can be relatively similar for how they grow, and if a country's wrestling and comics are similar- New Japan just feels like that popular manga just after the anime's ended and it loses its aura with casual fans. 

They even did the same thing with Bullet Club a popular manga in that position would do: Get rid of all the interesting, cool characters the fans of the series loved and recalibrate the whole series around an emo kid.

TWjj.gif

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rick said:

if watching a million shows this weekend has taught me anything it's I absolutely loathe the ''you deserve it'' chant

Miz responding to the chant with ,"That might mean something if you guys didn't chant it at every person who wins a title" was pretty awesome tho...

• Like 2

Was thinking today how the Funker going over at Barely Legal was a really dumb booking call.

The first PPV for this edgy, hip company ends with the nostalgia win for the guy you’re pushing as old and passed his prime. Even worse, this show could have either had the Raven vs Dreamer blow off of probably the most important feud in the company, Stevie beating his mentor to blow off that story or have the most iconic character and biggest babyface in the company in The Sandman giving you the big babyface win.

Twenty years out, still dumb.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hagan said:

Was thinking today how the Funker going over at Barely Legal was a really dumb booking call.

The first PPV for this edgy, hip company ends with the nostalgia win for the guy you’re pushing as old and passed his prime. Even worse, this show could have either had the Raven vs Dreamer blow off of probably the most important feud in the company, Stevie beating his mentor to blow off that story or have the most iconic character and biggest babyface in the company in The Sandman giving you the big babyface win.

Twenty years out, still dumb.

Of all the takes I've ever read on this board this one may be the absolute worst. Funk winning that title is one of the most memorable and incredible moments of all time. Without Funk there wouldn't have been an ECW, he did nothing but make guys. No ECW fan would ever question how that PPV ended.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hey, no disrespect to the Funker. All-time legend  and he definitely deserves a lot of credit in ECW but wouldn’t Dreamer pinning Raven at that moment with Funk in his corner been a better ending after the long build? I know Dreamer never wanted to beat Raven but that would have been the perfect payoff for the build. 

I don’t think it would have made any difference long-term but Funk being put over at the end was a much less interesting story than Stevie or Dreamer would have been.

Using the Wrestlemania weekend photos to put together some Trios teams

Atsushi Onita and the Rock'n'Roll Express

LA Park, Hijo de LA Park and Dan Severn

Ric Flair, Charlotte and Keiji Muto

Just imagine Ricky Morton's non-verbal selling in the closing moments of an exploding ring match in FMW.

• Like 1