DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

17 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Blows my mind that 6'2" 230lbs was a "high flyer" in the 80's.  Michaels would look like Nash when paired up with most of the modern high flyers.  I always remember thinking that Jeff Hardy looked humongous in his ROH appearances.

When I worked for UPW, I was surprised how deceptively tall the Hardys were.

18 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I'd like to see Brody, Gordy, Doc and Hansen transported in the same time machine to the modern day, like reverse terminators eliminating a wrestling future that shouldn't be.

They should bring Terry Funk with them to be their mouthpiece. He can retire a couple more times and you can have the most badass Survivor Series team ever!

EDIT: Whoops, "mouthpiece". Insert Briscoes joke

• Like 4

Meltzer has this to say about the Sin Cara/Jericho fight. Apparently it was on a bus they were traveling in, and Jericho wasn't quite knocked out like everyone seems to be reporting.

There was a brief altercation and pull apart Sunday night involving Chris Jericho and Sin Cara while the Raw crew was traveling from Leeds, England, to today's Raw tapings in Glasgow, Scotland.

As of now, WWE hasn't made any kind of statement regarding the incident, although Sin Cara (real name Jorge Arias) was kicked off the bus the crew was traveling on.

The description of what happened was that Arias was making annoying noises while on the tour bus and even though people were telling him to stop, he kept doing it. This led to Jericho more forcefully telling him to stop, resulting in Arias telling him to f**k off. Words were exchanged and Arias threw a wild right at Jericho before everyone jumped in to break it up. Jericho bit Arias' finger during the skirmish.

Arias was then kicked off the bus.

One description was that he snapped in two seconds without any warning or reason.

Jericho posted a cryptic Instagram video where there was swelling under his left eye. He said that if you hear any reports about him ripping somebody's face off with his teeth, he blamed them on bath salts and jokingly compared them to GHB and Ecstasy.

Earlier this year, Jericho and Brock Lesnar got in a backstage altercation after SummerSlam, while Arias and Simon Gotch got in a dustup this summer as well

Oh, and supposedly Viper and Pete Dunne are getting try-outs this week.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Blows my mind that 6'2" 230lbs was a "high flyer" in the 80's.  Michaels would look like Nash when paired up with most of the modern high flyers.  I always remember thinking that Jeff Hardy looked humongous in his ROH appearances.

I'd like to see Brody, Gordy, Doc and Hansen transported in the same time machine to the modern day, like reverse terminators eliminating a wrestling future that shouldn't be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/3c7rjo/kenny_omega_is_the_terminator/

Couldn't find a GIF of this weekend's ROH syndicated show where the Young Bucks and Adam Cole do the Terminator Rising pose, this will have to do.

• Like 1

My Google-fu failed me after watching ROH TV this week, but I figured one of you is bound to know enough to help me out.

After watching Dragon Lee, I was reminded of something I've long wondered in regards to professional wrestling: What, if anything, is the moniker "Dragon" meant to symbolize in professional wrestling and where did its use originate? 

55 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

After watching Dragon Lee, I was reminded of something I've long wondered in regards to professional wrestling: What, if anything, is the moniker "Dragon" meant to symbolize in professional wrestling and where did its use originate? 

I assume Bruce Lee and some dragon movie he was in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

With Ricky Steamboat, they noticed he looked a bit Japanese and gave him a Bruce Lee gimmick. With Ultimo Dragon, same thing. Most Dragons since are because the wrestler is a fan/ protege of Steamboat or Ultimo.