DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Based on current roster on WWE.com - No CWC guys included due to weird space where they work in all places.

+ NXT CALL- UP

Seth Rollins

Dean Ambrose

Roman Reigns

Rusev

Kevin Owens

Charlotte

Sasha Banks

Alexa Bliss

Becky Lynch

Big E

Braun Strowman (Though he really kinda skipped the NXT TV phase)

Bray Wyatt

Luke Harper

Carmella (I guess based on placement... not on crowd giving a fuck)

- NXT CALL-UP

Bayley

Neville

Bo Dallas

Tyler Breeze

Apollo Crews

Vaudevillians

American Alpha

MoJo Rawley

Ascension

Enzo & Cass

Eric Rowan

Dana Brooke

Summer Rae

INCOMPLETE

Emma - 1st time was failure. 2nd time is incomplete due to injuries

Nia Jax - would have been - due to vanishing but appears about to get mega push

Kalisto - would have been + but injury and apparent not putting in Cruiserwieght Division is trending down

Sami Zayn - would have been + but fuck knows what they are doing with him now. If he is Ziggler's challenger or makes the RAW SS team - goes into +

Paige - would have been + and then - and then the Del Rio stuff happened

Finn Balor - would have been + but got crippled two weeks in

19 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Yeah Balor is doing great

Be sure to ask the girl who got squashed by Nia Jax that was the March Madness winner

Can we just accept that DVDVR's March Madness is cursed, like the Madden games?

• Like 1

I'd give Enzo and Cass a plus, they are doing exactly what anyone could reasonably expect

I'd have Rowan and his aborted singles push as a minus too, but the merch money might dry his tears a bit

Also Rippa you forgot Baron Corbin which is good because fuck Baron Corbin

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Yeah Balor is doing great

Be sure to ask the girl who got squashed by Nia Jax that was the March Madness winner

If you think Bayley losing a few matches means that her call-up is a bust, then maybe you don't really understand her character.

• Like 3

I'm not sure what's worse:

Seeing a NXT person get called up, get stuck in 50/50 booking limbo like 95% of the roster, and we still say "well let's wait and see how it plays out."

Or 

Thinking there's a long-term plan for Bayley or anyone else and, in the off chance there actually is, that they'll stick to it.  Come on dudes.  They're rewriting the show the day of.  Vince changes his mind more than a goldfish with ADD.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

If you think Bayley losing a few matches means that her call-up is a bust, then maybe you don't really understand her character.

This is not the first time I have seen this and for you and the other people saying it - I don't think you understand the evolution of character

And getting called-up doesn't hit the reset button

• Like 1

The last 3 WM seasons should be a clear indicator that Vince doesn't believe in long-term planning. Sometimes they stumble into something great, other times they fumble away sure things... Anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation.

The only silver lining about Vince changing the Sasha/Charlotte finish at the last minute is that at least we can assume the majority of creative has enough sense to not botch something that obvious.

The whole purpose of nxt was to stop throwing new talents to the sharks on the main roster. Give them time to develop. Then at the right time call them up with a plan for them to be successful.

When WWE does a talent raid of nxt everything goes out the window. WWE doesn't have the patience to get one new talent over. When they call up 5 people at the same time, most of them are going to be doa. 

50 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is not the first time I have seen this and for you and the other people saying it - I don't think you understand the evolution of character

And getting called-up doesn't hit the reset button

But, sometimes it does.  Many people have theorized that Emma's failure in WWE was because they started her off as girl who dances weird, and failed to capture the whole spirit of her screwing up her entrance every week only to finally nail it, along with a slow introduction of her character.  I think some characters are ready-made to transition to main shows, others need a bit of a reset.

28 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

The whole purpose of nxt was to stop throwing new talents to the sharks on the main roster. Give them time to develop. Then at the right time call them up with a plan for them to be successful.

When WWE does a talent raid of nxt everything goes out the window. WWE doesn't have the patience to get one new talent over. When they call up 5 people at the same time, most of them are going to be doa. 

I'd argue they've been more successful when they recall a bunch at once, rather than one or two at a time.  The big raid last summer led to Balor as Universal Champ (Can't fault WWE on his injury); Alexa Bliss being better than ever as a wrestler; using Carmella's draft position as justification for a heel turn; and Mojo Rawley being in a better position than he was in NXT.  American Alpha, you can argue were downgraded from where they were, but WWE capture lightning in a bottle with Slater and Rhyno and had to ride that wave and AA has just been slightly de-emphasized from where they were, not buried.  Nia Jax is probably in a better place character-wise, as she was going to probably be overshadowed as an unstoppable woman with Asuka being around in NXT, and WWE seems to be putting the jetpack back on her.  Whereas when they bring up individual acts, they almost always overpush them to start leading them to scale back the pushes shortly thereafter: Wyatts, Enzo/Cass (Enzo's injury lead to Big Cass: World Title contender); Bayley coming up right in the middle of Sasha-Charlotte's feud.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Saw a lot of people commenting on Tommy after that video surfaced of Tiger Mask talking to him on Skype and I've not seen this fund get any press so I'm putting it here. Spread the word if you can

https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-dynamite-kid-com-home-2v5ubr6c

I'll be the bad guy here. Why should the WWF/WWE help a jackass like the Dynamite Kid?

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:06 PM, The Z said:

This is great news. The only thing I don't like about this, is that it will be taped in front of the Smackdown crowd, which will probably not a give a shit about the cruiserweights.

I would prefer a pre-taped show from Full Sail.

It's almost they want the Cruiserweights to fail, again.

7 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

I'll be the bad guy here. Why should the WWF/WWE help a jackass like the Dynamite Kid?

Yea I am not much of one to pile on but Dynamite was a legitimately horrible person, I can find better uses of my money. Although I did like his book since it is probably the most honest wrestling book we will ever get. So he got $2 of my money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

...because he's still a human being that worked for them, and suffered the injury that effected the rest of his life while working for them

Did you say the same thing about WWE helping Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, and countless other jackasses that needed help?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tromatagon said:

Guys, TJ Perkins is the face of the division, they deserve what's happening

I might just feel this because I'm from Socal so I saw too much TJ Perkins for anyone's good before he even was in TNA

He was their fallback. It seems pretty clear they were banking on Kota signing.