DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

He did a lot of crazy shit in the WWF as well. That bump he took from the top rope to the concrete at WM2 was insane.

I didn't see that match from WM2, was selective on what matches to watch.  But to your point while he might have done dumb shit in WWF I still maintain he did that and worse long before WWF.  So WWE might feel some sense of obligation but definitely shouldn't bear the whole burden by any means.

God Bless you Internet

Posted by Jake McClain (Member # 1837) on 07-19-2002 02:01 PM: 

Well, you got the DVDVR/Mexican Lucha Mark/Japanese Puro Mark/500, where someone like Benoit can be like #80, and 79 other guys with first names like Gran, El, or Hijo are ahead of him, and it is that way because 16 year olds with their McDonalds paychecks blow their whole load on Lucha or Puro tapes from PWI.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I didn't see that match from WM2, was selective on what matches to watch.  But to your point while he might have done dumb shit in WWF I still maintain he did that and worse long before WWF.  So WWE might feel some sense of obligation but definitely shouldn't bear the whole burden by any means.

All that aside you should watch that match. Bulldogs vs. Dream Team (Beefcake/Valentine). Probably the best match on the card.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Guys, TJ Perkins is the face of the division, they deserve what's happening

They had Rich Swann, Jack Gallagher, and Cedric Alexander under contract, and they chose to go with TJ Perkins.

Mind you, they would have screwed the pooch on presenting the division no matter the champ, but they were asking for trouble by bypassing guys who are actually charismatic to put the title on TJP. Still don't understand that decision. 

The arena hosting the Roadblock PPV tweeted that the main event is Kevin Owens vs. Roman Reigns

So between that and Styles/Ambrose TLC - you know the general thought process for the rest of the year

9 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

For some odd reason, ive been baffled this week with  the realization that Rick Martel never held the Intercontinental Championship, but Chico Santana did.

Why? Tito held the title 3 years before forming Strike Force

Or is it because you feel like Martel was a better worker than Tito and "deserved" it more.

Because if it is the later - there are IC champs FAR FAR worse than Tito

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alstein said:

Martel did win the TV belt- sure I remember that.

Yes, in February of 98. Per Booker T's HOF speech, Martel was suppose to win the TV Title the night Book won it the first time, but he did't have his gear with him so they put the belt on Book instead. 

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I have been watching a lot of 1980s wrestling lately (Starrcades and what not), did the change in the crowd's reactions happen slowly or did ECW/Attitude Era/nWo make it happen quicker? The crowds are into just about everything from start to finish, not to Hogan or Rock levels of course but there is always a low murmur in the crowd and they are vocal constantly during the match with just cheering and whistling. Almost like how people respond at football or baseball games, and nothing like how wrestling fans are today.

I'm not an old fuddy duddy that thinks wrestling fans today are terrible or anything, but its definitely a different type of reaction, I think by then everyone knew it was theater (well except maybe in the deep south) so I don't think kayfabe is to blame. They just seem more into the show as a whole no matter who is wrestling and not just popping for certain acts/wrestlers.

I think kayfabe is the biggest part of it. Not that most people then didn't know it was a work, but it was far easier to suspend disbelief. Now we get our noses rubbed in it constantly and it takes a really great match (for me, anyway) for me to really "get into" it. Back then it was presented as a sport and that's really missing today. From WWE anyway. 

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

That is an awesome match. Greg Valentine was king sized holding up his end and carrying Beefcake, who was still pretty worthless at that point. I love the finish to the match. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I eventually should start a thread for it but FloSlam announced partnerships with Beyond Wrestling and PWX

They seem to have a different deal with Beyond than with WWN. They won't have the back catalogue and new shows will only be available for 90 days after they happened.

I hope they can work out a better deal with them down the line. That's stupid, that you still have to subscribe to Beyond's own subscription channel, if you want to watch older shows.

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

I feel like the only possible real booking mistake Raw can make right now is putting Reigns against Owens. 

There aren't many other ways for them to go, though.  Rollins needs to be taken out of the equation for now.  The only other guys built up enough to take on Owens are Jericho and Reigns.  I would think they'd burn off the KO/Y2J match at Roadblock, but that comes down to when Jericho will leave to tour with Fozzy.

I wonder if they're thinking of doing a Lashley-like story with Reigns holding multiple titles.

And looking into the future, how does that get them to Lesnar-Reigns II?  Because I think that's the endgame for WM 33.

23 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

...because he's still a human being that worked for them, and suffered the injury that effected the rest of his life while working for them

Did you say the same thing about WWE helping Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, and countless other jackasses that needed help?

Hall, Waltman didn't try and purposely go out to do harm to others.

13 hours ago, Skelemania said:

Scott Hall murdered someone. 

"In 1983, Hall was charged with second degree murder after shooting a man with his own gun (after wrestling it away from him) in an altercation outside of a nightclub in Orlando, Florida. According to Hall, this was done in self-defense. The charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. In a 2011 interview for ESPN, Hall admitted killing the man and said he is unable to forget the incident."

I didn't know that story. If true, as my 3 1/2 year old would say, he should go to jail.