DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 07/11/2016 at 2:04 PM, The Natural said:

Had a great time at WWE Live. I watched Chris Jericho live for the first time and finally got to see Sasha Banks in person. Wanted to see Sasha for a while. Will talk more about it when time allows.

Amazing seats. Glad to see Sasha live at last. Jericho, Roman and New Day generated most reactions. Most seen shirts: Reigns, New Day, Cena and Owens. Surprising Zayn beating Jericho with the Blue Thunder Bomb.

• Like 1

I wonder if anybody on the indies (or wherever) has ever completely aped an old match move for move. Like, has anybody ever taken a Classic like Steamboat/Savage WMIII and done a sort of "tribute match"? Or taken a random Midnight Express/RnR Express match and done the same sequences? If I were a wrestler, I think it would be interesting to take a match from 30 years ago that had great heat back then and ape that match just to see what the crowd reaction might be in today's environment.

• Like 1

That's kind of what I'm talking about. Not coming out dressed as Macho Man and The Dragon, just start the match and do their WM III classic all the way through and see if the crowd gets in to it in the same way or if anybody notices or what. I think that would be a fun experiment.

• Like 3

I do and don't understand why wrestlers aren't willing to steal famous spots or sequences from notable matches. There are times when I see something on WWEN and think, "Man, nobody ever does something like this anymore." Then say to myself that I'd totally steal it, had I become a wrestler. 

I guess I'd be frowned upon and seem unimaginative, like how stealing a riff would be in music. But if it's an awesome sequence of moves, and the statute has passed, I'd absolutely replicate it. 

It doesn't have to be matches or sequences that have to be aped for today's environment.  Scott Dawson used/uses quite frequently Arn Anderson's fakeout DDT spot.  If you know where that's from then awesome.  if not then just as well.  And in that case it wouldn't be stealing the spot, in his case with the look it works for comparison's sake.

Well, the difference there is that usually when a musician tries to write a song that sounds like a different band, often they end up accidentally creating a riff that sends them on a completely different tangent creatively, so they end up writing something that sounds nothing like what inspired them. And when they get it close, it's almost always worse.For example, this:

Is supposed to sound like this:

And, well... yeah...

EDIT: Did Billy not have the purple hand of doom back then, or did they just cover it with make-up on the video shoots?

6 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I wonder if anybody on the indies (or wherever) has ever completely aped an old match move for move. Like, has anybody ever taken a Classic like Steamboat/Savage WMIII and done a sort of "tribute match"? Or taken a random Midnight Express/RnR Express match and done the same sequences? If I were a wrestler, I think it would be interesting to take a match from 30 years ago that had great heat back then and ape that match just to see what the crowd reaction might be in today's environment.

One of the last Powerslam Productions shows Princess Kristen and Mr Socitooomee recreated the Warrior vs HTM match. No one in the crowd got it. It wasn't until I was watching my footage later that I realized what they were doing.

Recently at an Elev8 Pro show Alex Cruz and Lucha Locura tried to do the Eddy vs Dean ECW match but it was bad.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Well, the difference there is that usually when a musician tries to write a song that sounds like a different band, often they end up accidentally creating a riff that sends them on a completely different tangent creatively, so they end up writing something that sounds nothing like what inspired them. And when they get it close, it's almost always worse.For example, this:

Is supposed to sound like this:

And, well... yeah...

EDIT: Did Billy not have the purple hand of doom back then, or did they just cover it with make-up on the video shoots?

Jesus tapdancing Christ, that Stiltskin video is unbelievably awful.  And the song went to #1 in the UK!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Jesus tapdancing Christ, that Stiltskin video is unbelievably awful.  And the song went to #1 in the UK!  

Scottish people will support anything Scottish. That whole thing happened when I was living in Glasgow, and literally the entire population of the city thought it was pure dead brilliant. Those lads were on the cover of the Daily Record and the Evening Times for days. The Virgin Megastore had suddenly become the Virgin Stiltskinstore. Not even joking.

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Scottish people will support anything Scottish. That whole thing happened when I was living in Glasgow, and literally the entire population of the city thought it was pure dead brilliant. Those lads were on the cover of the Daily Record and the Evening Times for days. The Virgin Megastore had suddenly become the Virgin Stiltskinstore. Not even joking.

Well The Proclaimers are huge there so they at least got that one right (seriously, if you only know them from I'm Gonna Be (5000 Miles) get their best of album. You will be amazed at how good they really are.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

That's kind of what I'm talking about. Not coming out dressed as Macho Man and The Dragon, just start the match and do their WM III classic all the way through and see if the crowd gets in to it in the same way or if anybody notices or what. I think that would be a fun experiment.

Even beyond just a match itself, it seems weird.

I've always considered the biggest strange thing in pro wrestling: Considering how the cover band mentality seemed to work in music (and it's related to the "band plays an album straight through" and/or recreates classic concerts of theirs in full trend in concerts), I've honestly been shocked that some shindy out there who knows they'd normally have no hope for a really good crowd tried going all out instead- pick a famous big PPV/major show, have everyone on the card come out as the performers, match to match, try to emulate the matches perfectly, and sell it as "SMALLTIME PRO WRESTLING PRESENTS: A TRIBUTE TO [insert the famous PPV they're emulating]". 

It'd be a question- but on the shindy scale you'd have to assume you'd get a bigger gate for that than they would as themselves, much like cover bands vs. original music "as themselves" would.

33 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Well The Proclaimers are huge there so they at least got that one right (seriously, if you only know them from I'm Gonna Be (5000 Miles) get their best of album. You will be amazed at how good they really are.

Their song Life With You is one of the greatest pop songs of this century.

Even beyond just a match itself, it seems weird.

I've always considered the biggest strange thing in pro wrestling: Considering how the cover band mentality seemed to work in music (and it's related to the "band plays an album straight through" and/or recreates classic concerts of theirs in full trend in concerts), I've honestly been shocked that some shindy out there who knows they'd normally have no hope for a really good crowd tried going all out instead- pick a famous big PPV/major show, have everyone on the card come out as the performers, match to match, try to emulate the matches perfectly, and sell it as "SMALLTIME PRO WRESTLING PRESENTS: A TRIBUTE TO [insert the famous PPV they're emulating]". 

It'd be a question- but on the shindy scale you'd have to assume you'd get a bigger gate for that than they would as themselves, much like cover bands vs. original music "as themselves" would.

They used to do a low-rent version of that. It looked like this:

American-Wrestling-WWE-knockoff-poster.j

By all accounts, they were terrible. I knew someone who went to one, and he said their Big Show was shorter than their Rey Mysterio Jr. Who did a slow-mo 619 with one foot on the mat at all times.

EDITED to add the quote. Although I'll also add that me and Matthew Taylor used to sing Letter From America in science lessons at school for no reason I can remember.