DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Personally, I'd prefer to watch Kane than Bray.  Think about that for a minute.  Bray's one of those guys I just don't get in any way, shape, or form.

Actually, I really liked Glen Jacobs when he teamed with Al Snow in Smoky Mountain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

...because he's still a human being that worked for them, and suffered the injury that effected the rest of his life while working for them

Did you say the same thing about WWE helping Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, and countless other jackasses that needed help?

Dynamite was a dickhead but no worse than Hall, Waltman, Jake or Sunny.

• Like 2

Well Dynamite Kid admits to breaking his niece's kneecaps for insurance money and has been accused of drugging and raping people, let alone the things in his book he admits to. Those other wrestlers were more self-destructive than destructive towards others (I mean drinking and drugs hurts your loved ones for emotional reasons of course but I don't think they were violent) and also were trying to improve their lives by getting clean.

Not that I would care if WWE helped him, that is their business, but I don't see why they'd have an obligation to.

At least once it was Chyna that was arrested for beating up Waltman, they probably had a mutually abusive relationship that I am sure was best for both parties to end. The majority of wrestlers from the 80s and 90s aren't exactly good people in various ways (racists, sexists, spouse abusers, cheaters, drug abusers, all of the above), but some have made legitimate efforts to clean up their lives to improve and others haven't. I put Dynamite Kid way down at the bottom, somewhere between Chris Benoit and Kevin Sullivan.

I wouldn't judge anyone that gave him money, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a piece of shit pretty consistently in his life. Even by his own admittance.

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Well Dynamite Kid admits to breaking his niece's kneecaps for insurance money and has been accused of drugging and raping people, let alone the things in his book he admits to. Those other wrestlers were more self-destructive than destructive towards others (I mean drinking and drugs hurts your loved ones for emotional reasons of course but I don't think they were violent) and also were trying to improve their lives by getting clean.

Not that I would care if WWE helped him, that is their business, but I don't see why they'd have an obligation to.

They certainly don't have an obligation to help him. They don't have an obligation to help any of their former employees in need. Do I think they should help him? Yes, but I won't condemn or crucify them if they didn't.

• Like 1

The other difference is that WWE generally only helps with drug/alcohol issues, not general health issues. When Jake Roberts needed money for hip surgery, he also collected money online. Paying for rehab is different than paying for all medical expenses forever, WWE would be in trouble if they paid for the medical expenses of any wrestler that ever appeared on their programming for the rest of their lives. They make a few special exceptions here or there but it wouldn't really be fiscally responsible to the business/shareholders if they did it regularly.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea I am not much of one to pile on but Dynamite was a legitimately horrible person, I can find better uses of my money. Although I did like his book since it is probably the most honest wrestling book we will ever get. So he got $2 of my money.

I think his legacy aside from his wrestling will be that book.  It really was an amazing read, not only for its honesty, but for that he did it even before Mick Foley made it trendy for everyone to write their own bios.  I for one gave him a few bucks just for the money I'm sure his publishers never gave him for it.*  

And you guys can talk all the shit about whoever deserves what or doesn't, I always smile when Jericho just throws in a few grand for guys he barely knows.  Good for him.

*not a pitch.  He really did come off as someone who truly got what he deserved.  I bought the book forever ago and can quote stories from it to this day.   

Well Dynamite Kid admits to breaking his niece's kneecaps for insurance money and has been accused of drugging and raping people, let alone the things in his book he admits to.

I did not know about any of that; all my knowledge is based off the Bret and Stampede books. Either way the man deserves to rot alone in his wheelchair, limbs impaled on metal until death, and this is a very empathetic person saying that. 

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

And you guys can talk all the shit about whoever deserves what or doesn't, I always smile when Jericho just throws in a few grand for guys he barely knows.  Good for him.

Jericho is trying his hardest to dethrone Molly Holly, isn't he?

I have been watching a lot of 1980s wrestling lately (Starrcades and what not), did the change in the crowd's reactions happen slowly or did ECW/Attitude Era/nWo make it happen quicker? The crowds are into just about everything from start to finish, not to Hogan or Rock levels of course but there is always a low murmur in the crowd and they are vocal constantly during the match with just cheering and whistling. Almost like how people respond at football or baseball games, and nothing like how wrestling fans are today.

I'm not an old fuddy duddy that thinks wrestling fans today are terrible or anything, but its definitely a different type of reaction, I think by then everyone knew it was theater (well except maybe in the deep south) so I don't think kayfabe is to blame. They just seem more into the show as a whole no matter who is wrestling and not just popping for certain acts/wrestlers.

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

I've read Dynamite did some horrific things in his time. Did Hall, Waltman, Jake or Sunny do anything as horrible as what happened to JR Foley's daughter? Or to Foley himself?

Scott Hall murdered someone. 

"In 1983, Hall was charged with second degree murder after shooting a man with his own gun (after wrestling it away from him) in an altercation outside of a nightclub in Orlando, Florida. According to Hall, this was done in self-defense. The charges were dropped due to lack of evidence. In a 2011 interview for ESPN, Hall admitted killing the man and said he is unable to forget the incident."

7 hours ago, Infinit said:

I've read Dynamite did some horrific things in his time. Did Hall, Waltman, Jake or Sunny do anything as horrible as what happened to JR Foley's daughter? Or to Foley himself?

Hall didn't break anyone's kneecaps (that we know of) but there was the incident where he groped that 50 year old lady. Bob Holly told stories that Hall would get drunk and go into restaurants, pick fights with guys in front of their families just to embarrass them. So, he might not have done something as horrible but Hall wasn't a nice guy.

Now I kind of want to see someone bring back that rolling snapmare reversal/gator roll sequence that happens about a minute in. Certainly makes more sense than all of the rolling superplex and superkick/lariat exchanges we see nowadays.

Dynamite might have fully broken down while in WWF, but he destroyed his body long before he ever went there.  I've heard/read many tales of him doing all kinds of dangerous stuff in Stampede, Japan, anywhere he went really.  It seemed like WWF was the safest place he worked at due to not being allowed to do the crazy stuff.  So I'm not buying to the whole "WWE should take care of him" argument.  If they choose to, that's their business.

And @Skelemania Hall admitted killing a guy again in his WWE documentary.  There's a first look deal on the network where he discusses that.  By how he talked about it I believe him.  That doesn't excuse him of the other bad things he did in his life though.

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

Dynamite might have fully broken down while in WWF, but he destroyed his body long before he ever went there.  I've heard/read many tales of him doing all kinds of dangerous stuff in Stampede, Japan, anywhere he went really.  It seemed like WWF was the safest place he worked at due to not being allowed to do the crazy stuff.  So I'm not buying to the whole "WWE should take care of him" argument.  If they choose to, that's their business.

And @Skelemania Hall admitted killing a guy again in his WWE documentary.  There's a first look deal on the network where he discusses that.  By how he talked about it I believe him.  That doesn't excuse him of the other bad things he did in his life though.

He did a lot of crazy shit in the WWF as well. That bump he took from the top rope to the concrete at WM2 was insane.

• Like 1