DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

2 hours ago, caley said:

When I was a kid, there was a stretch where we would get WCW Power Hour on TSN in the middle of the night on Friday nights so I programmed the VCR to tape it and was super into it (I especially loved the Top 10 wrestlers they did every week and stole the idea for my GI Joe wrestling federation).  The only other WCW I'd seen was the Superbrawl with Flair-Fujinami and Steiners-Sting/Luger and that was mesmerizing for a guy who'd only watched WWF.  Anyways, with all the great WCW guys at the time, my faves were Sting, The Steiners, and...PN News. After he disappeared off WCW, then Power Hour as well, and I realized guys could jump back and forth between leagues, I waited and waited for News to show up in WWF.  And waited.  And waited.  Seeing him turn up as one of the Baldies ("My name is PN News and I make the big bucks, cuz everyone knows that Philly sucks/Yo Baby Yo Baby Yo!") in late-era ECW was one of the most bizarre: "Hey I remember that guy, I loved him...he sucks" moments in years.

I feel you, man.  I was a big Van Hammer fan in the early 90s.  Then he came back in 97, and I couldn't figure out what it was about him I liked.

52 minutes ago, Jerome Miller said:

With TNA getting kicked off UK TV, whatever happened to those two identical twins that were on the UK Bootcamp Challenge?

The Blossom Twins

They "took time off from wrestling" so not sure if they are still at it. Both were working as teaching assistants so they might have become full time teachers

4 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I feel you, man.  I was a big Van Hammer fan in the early 90s.  Then he came back in 97, and I couldn't figure out what it was about him I liked.

I remember liking Van Hammer, too, which is weird because I never liked Maxx Payne/Man Mountain Rock and that guy could actually play a guitar.

Also I forgot the best/worst part of PN News ECW rap which was "I've been around the world from Philly to Bombay, if you come from Philly than you must be gay".  Genuine class.

I seriously can't wait for the Network to get to 1991 for the Saturday night shows. I only saw WCW Pro and the Power Hour back then for the most part because our cable system didn't get TBS until September 91....and it was a premium channel. So I only saw a few Saturday night shows during those much anticipated free preview weekends.

I seem to remember a story about Van Hammer... some time in between his '91 run and the time he was in the Flock, he showed up at DDP's Christmas party, got drunk andstarted telling everyone that he was the best Wrestler and most real tough guy in WCW. So Lord Steven Regal got up and knocked the Heavy Metal Headbanger out cold with a single headbutt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AxB said:

I seem to remember a story about Van Hammer... some time in between his '91 run and the time he was in the Flock, he showed up at DDP's Christmas party, got drunk andstarted telling everyone that he was the best Wrestler and most real tough guy in WCW. So Lord Steven Regal got up and knocked the Heavy Metal Headbanger out cold with a single headbutt.

Lesson of the day, don't mess Master Regal around.

6 hours ago, caley said:

Also I forgot the best/worst part of PN News ECW rap which was "I've been around the world from Philly to Bombay, if you come from Philly than you must be gay".  Genuine class.

That is pretty classy for ECW.  Most of the roster back then would've called the audience fags.

It was the Clash that had the Flair/Eaton 2 out of 3 Fall main event

If I remember correctly - News didn't even wrestle he was there with just with them (and it was only Salt and Pepa. Apparently WCW wouldn't spring for Spinderella)

1 hour ago, bazzil said:

I probably shouldn't listen to podcasts when driving. Almost drove off the road when Kurt Angle said on Austins podcast that the guys today need to slow down and sell more

Yeah, didn't he say that to EDDIE GUERRERO? Fuck.

This is great news. The only thing I don't like about this, is that it will be taped in front of the Smackdown crowd, which will probably not a give a shit about the cruiserweights.

I would prefer a pre-taped show from Full Sail.

• Like 4

Wait, they're doing this after Smackdown Live?  Really hoping they're not wrestling in front of crickets as the crowd might tire out by then.  It's also a weird dynamic as you go from the main roster angles to "Thanks for watching Smackdown, here's some smaller guys!"  Other than that really hoping this takes off.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Z said:

This is great news. The only thing I don't like about this, is that it will be taped in front of the Smackdown crowd, which will probably not a give a shit about the cruiserweights.

I would prefer a pre-taped show from Full Sail.

I like it getting taped in front of a Smackdown Live crowd as that's where the cruiserweight division should have gone in the first place. Hopefully this will bring better to what's happened on RAW since the CWC tournament ended.

• Like 1