DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

I think the most overlooked angle/story in recent years was the awesome Authority vs. Rhodes Family saga. The way it ended -- the no long indentured Big Show knocking out Roman Reigns so Cody/Dustin get the belts while surrounded by YES! chants -- was absolutely awesome multi-layered storytelling. The segment where Dusty had to choose between his sons OR get torn apart by The Shield OR take a punch from Show (and Show was forced to do so) was amazing. So was: "I'll be your huckleberry allllll night long!"

• Like 5

I think most of us have gone through a point in our lives where we thought that wrestling is uncool, and to be a cool person, you needed to distance yourself from wrestling. I was having that period in my early twenties. I was working at a record store and was entirely too hip about the whole thing. We would always put a DVD on mute on the TV and a couple of albums to listen to throughout the day. One day, my boss came in and brought from home a bunch of VHS tapes of Dusty matches and promos to put on the TV. A couple people turned up their noses but me and him got talking, doing terrible Dusty impressions, then turning off the record so that everyone could hear the real thing. I don't think anyone was as in to it as we were, but it didn't matter. That day more than any other showed me that your interests are yours, and you aren't defined by what others think about them. I guess I have Dusty to thank for that, in a weird way. It's a nice memory I'll hopefully always have. 

RIP Dusty. 

• Like 12

Man, I was already bummed about Christopher Lee then I heard about Dusty and this has quickly turned into one of those days you just can't wait to be over. I guess the best memory I can share is I grew up a WWE fanboy but when my parents finally got cable and I found wrestling on TBS all I needed was to hear one Dusty (and Flair) promo and I was an NWA fan as well. Some people hate his WWE run but for me personally I'll never forget seeing him in the old Igloo. Also his "American Dream" theme music was the ringtone on my first cell phone - and will always be a top 5 entrance theme IMO.

Proof that you don't need a great body or top rope athleticism to be great in this business. He was overweight and had a lisp, but he got what wrestling was all about. He could have the crowd in the palm of his hand with just a few words and he used that ring to paint a beautiful picture. He made you believe, goddammit.

Fucking legend. RIP.

• Like 1

I think the most overlooked angle/story in recent years was the awesome Authority vs. Rhodes Family saga. The way it ended -- the no long indentured Big Show knocking out Roman Reigns so Cody/Dustin get the belts while surrounded by YES! chants -- was absolutely awesome multi-layered storytelling. The segment where Dusty had to choose between his sons OR get torn apart by The Shield OR take a punch from Show (and Show was forced to do so) was amazing. So was: "I'll be your huckleberry allllll night long!"

That angle was so good and gave us what was easily the best promo Cody ever did (when he was "fired").  I guess that makes Dean Ambrose the last person to eat the Bionic Elbow?

I remember a long while back someone posted the Dusty/Dustin video where he asks to be his partnet and they said that whole Rhodes/Studd Stable angle from start to finish would have made an amazing western. Dusty was so great at just emoting and making people believe.

I honestly can't believe we're in a world where The Dream is gone. I hope if there's a heaven, Dick Murdoch is meeting him at the gate with a couple cases of Coors.

dusty-rhodes-facepalm-stephanie-mcmahon-

tumblr_n90pg597AW1qbvz97o3_500.gif

• Like 6

I saw an ESPN writer tweeting about how to impersonate Dusty and I read Naylor talking about Dusty. Then I went to the trending topics list.

John Wayne also died on June 11th but you can take that however you want.

So out of the 80s megastars, this isn't the first. But it seems like the biggest out of guys still involved.

Anyways..

Really sad news about Dust. I was surprised to read that he had passed away. IMO he was one of the best talkers ever in the biz, he had a delivery & believably in his promo's that captivated you as a viewer and as it's been mentioned, made you believe. Dusty was a real talent and had great charisma which can't be taught. I think he deserved to come into the WWF as a star, the American Dream and had a run with the top guys, imagine a tag team of the American Dream and the Real American Hulk Hogan against the top heel tag teams of the time, would have been a license to print money. 

Dust is one of my all-time favorites too and it's sad to say R.I.P. Dusty Rhodes, the American Dream :(