DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

Another one of my favorites...

Of all the great lines Dusty had "the Four Horsemen, they need to ride on another planet ‘cause I reserved the stratosphere for me and you” is by far my favorite. Hard Times and Partnah are great but this is the Dusty promo I love most.

I couldn't agree more. Whenever I think of Dusty's greatest promo, this is the one I think of. It's easily one of my favorite promos of all time, from anyone

Losing Christopher Lee hurt, but the man was 93 and had lived a great life. A world without a Dusty Rhodes is a place that just sucks too much to bear thinking about. RIP Dream. Even when I knew it was worked, Dusty could make me believe. I keep telling Mrs OSJ that my allergies are bothering me something fierce, but I don't think she believes that shit for a second...

I feel blessed that I got to meet Dusty once and shake his hand, as well as calling two of his matches for IWC in Pittsburgh. Here is Dusty vs. Jerry Lawler with special referee Mick Foley at one of our biggest shows, in the Johnstown, PA arena. I'm joined by my favorite three-man-booth mates, Joe Dombrowski and Kingdom James.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4frPJmDsXlg&feature=youtu.be

That was the first time I met him too!  I was working the merch table with George Mayfield that night.

• Like 1

11264568_1097864270240582_304451258_n.jp

Willing to bet money that this was the first wrestling shirt I ever owned. Got it when the NWA ran the UIC Pavilion in Chicago in 1987.

JCP @ Chicago, IL - UIC Pavilion - March 21, 1987
Tim Horner defeated Ricky Lee Jones
Bobby Jaggers defeated Thunderfoot #1
Arn Anderson defeated Baron Von Raschke
Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson defeated Ivan Koloff & Vladimir Petrov Dick Murdoch
NWA TV Champion Tully Blanchard defeated Dusty Rhodes via disqualification
The Road Warriors defeated NWA Tag Team Champions Rick Rude & Manny Fernandez via disqualification
NWA World Champion Ric Flair fought NWA US Champion Nikita Koloff to a no contest at 35:00

That card basically destroyed every WWF show I'd seen up to that point.

• Like 3

Two DQs Dusty finishes and a no contest

Never change 80s NWA

But honestly, that crowd was SO FUCKING HOT for everything that you didn't even care. I mean it was sheer unhinged madness when the Roadies came out that night. Also, Ricky Morton did a gonzo-level blade job for Ivan/Dick.

• Like 1

Rob Naylor posted a pre-tape that he was referring to on WONRadiowhen Dusty asked him to write his promo for NXT Clash of the Champions.

Also a Naylor/Dream/Summer Rae segment from FCW.

• Like 2

If Dusty isn' the great booker ever, he's got to be on the most rushmore right? Vince is the greatest PROMOTER, but hasn't booked that much right? I'm not the most religious guy in the world, but God's speed on the Muthaship home. . . . 

Dusty fighting Ox Baker at an ROH Show. That is amazing. Please tell me that went somewhere...anywhere. It seems like it would be a crime if it were a random indy deal which it probably was.

I think the first time I saw Dusty had to be when I was about six or so in 87. I think we had just gotten cable and seeing him and the Road Warriors fight The Horsemen. It was so much fun. My video store might have had the commercial video of Bash 87, so I know I saw that tape around the same time. Anyway, Dusty was so much fun to watch. Though that whole Road Warriors spike angle scared the living hell out of me because seven year old me swore he saw them pull out his eye ball. Ah the joys of childhood and a vivid imagination.

There are just so many great Dusty memories. It would be hard to narrow one down. I remember marking out for Dusty turning heel and joining the NWO with Hall even if it made no logistical or reasonable sense what so ever. I loved his last run in TNA. Seeing him wrestle in his tights again in 2003-04 was odd, but fun. I love the one last try for the gold angle against AJ Styles. Man, this was TNA. Dusty should have gotten himself a couple week NWA Title run back then. Who cares if he was just punches and bleeding at that point. He still had that aura about him.

If there is a heaven, the supercard just got The Texas Outlaws on the bill. Just imagine them vs. Rude/Henning in a bunkhouse match.

Jonathan Coachman talked about Dusty on ESPN, said some really nice things. However, at the end, he talked about how great of an entertainer he was, which was good because he was "an awful wrestler". He obviously meant as an in-ring worker. But I don't think that's fair at all. Dusty could go, man.

hen Coach came around as a color guy and attempted to be a worker , Dusty was broken down and way past his prime and HHH has always been Coach's measuring stick for what a good worker should do.

I forgive Coach for being ignorant and having no frame of reference.  The guy wanted to be a legit sports announcer; pro wrestling was a means to an end.

Huh? Someone's frame of reference when they were working in wrestling is the only way they'd know talent? If that was true, then maybe only a dozen guys on this whole board would have any opinions about working (and they'd mostly all be wrong). I'm sure Coach grew up watching the Dream on TV just like everyone else.

And, let's not forget that we are kinda in our own little bubble here at DVDVR and related boards. There's plenty of people out there who think DVDVR Favorite X is a horrible wrestler, whether it's Dusty or Lawler or Andre or Mark Henry or whomever.

Two DQs and a no contest

In a row!!! The three top matches on the card all had bullshit finishes. That's the pure sign of Dusty or whoever the booker was that night just not knowing or, more likely, not caring. (Or maybe he ran into one of those nights where nobody wants to do a job, but really, three matches in a row?)

WWE announced a tribute to Dusty after Raw on Monday saying its "scheduled" for 1hr, i hope it gets way more time than that, don't think an hour would do all the great Dusty stories justice.

On USA, or on the WWE Network? If it's the latter, then that's disappointing, a lot of people still don't have that.

I've watched nearly every Dusty vid posted here over the last few days and every single one of them has made me smile, cry or emote whatever the man wanted me to.

That is the enduring legacy of the man. The greatest performer of them all.

• Like 2